Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    we as a country will be forever in his debt.
    That also sums up GOP fiscal policy.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    IF your boy had more money in the coffers than he needed why in good grief did he not cut the taxes. He didn't need that money and therefore it wasn't his. A gov't with surplus is a gov't that is stealling from its people.
    As I recall, there was the debate between cutting taxes, or starting to pay down the national debt. Which is now closing in on $8 trillion dollars. There is no stealing when it is being used to start paying off the previous excesses or even the cost of the Cold War. And that is giving Reagan the benefit of the doubt that enormous debt was necessary to put the USSR under.

Slowing down the amount of debt is a red herring. Eventually all that debt has to be paid off with dollars from the US Treasury. And that day of reckoning will not be pretty if the debt holders ever force our hand.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    As I recall, there was the debate between cutting taxes, or starting to pay down the national debt. Which is now closing in on $8 trillion dollars. There is no stealing when it is being used to start paying off the previous excesses or even the cost of the Cold War. And that is giving Reagan the benefit of the doubt that enormous debt was necessary to put the USSR under.
    The original goal/budget plan/bill was supposed to do both, cut some taxes and pay down some of the debt. At the time, pre-9/11, the budget projections suggested that the surplus would continue even with the original proposed tax cut(which unfortunately grew in committee) and allow both to take place. Unfortunately the Tech Crash was deeper then expected and the 9/11 follow up distroyed that projections.
    Slowing down the amount of debt is a red herring. Eventually all that debt has to be paid off with dollars from the US Treasury. And that day of reckoning will not be pretty if the debt holders ever force our hand.
    Actually it does not ever have to be paid off in full, just like your mortgage only has to be paid off if you want to. It can all be refinanced over and over again. Does it provide us with great savings? No, but it does not have to ever be paid off either.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Actually it does not ever have to be paid off in full, just like your mortgage only has to be paid off if you want to. It can all be refinanced over and over again. Does it provide us with great savings? No, but it does not have to ever be paid off either.
    You are correct. But every dollar paid in interest is a dollar taken away from defending the homeland, building or improving infrastructure or any other purposes government is tasked with providing. And since the interest is ultimately paid with tax dollars, increasing debt equates to increased interest, and that equates to increased taxes.

Pay me now, pay me later. But you still pay.

You are correct. But every dollar paid in interest is a dollar taken away from defending the homeland, building or improving infrastructure or any other purposes government is tasked with providing. And since the interest is ultimately paid with tax dollars, increasing debt equates to increased interest, and that equates to increased taxes.

Pay me now, pay me later. But you still pay.
    Not increased taxes, continued taxes.....
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Not increased taxes, continued taxes.....
    Same thing.

The original goal/budget plan/bill was supposed to do both, cut some taxes and pay down some of the debt.

That all became a moot point when Bush gave everybody a $300 check.

That all became a moot point when Bush gave everybody a $300 check.

When was everybody "given" a $300 check? I must have missed mine.
    I will say though, that under President Bush, I have more money in my hands thanks to his tax cuts. I am in no way "wealthy" either.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    When was everybody "given" a $300 check? I must have missed mine.
    I will say though, that under President Bush, I have more money in my hands thanks to his tax cuts. I am in no way "wealthy" either.
    That would be great except for the deluge of red ink that has been borrowed on your behalf that you will one day have to pay.

Pay me now, pay me later, but you still pay.

That would be great except for the deluge of red ink that has been borrowed on your behalf that you will one day have to pay.

Pay me now, pay me later, but you still pay.
    Sadly SC, most people couldn't care less, because it is just like the way that their personal finances are handled. Credit, credit, credit. Worry about it later, it doesn't bother me or affect me now, so why should I care.

Little do they realize how much could be saved (and thus spent by politicians on both sides of the aisle instead of returned to the taxpayer) if we actually paid it off. Of course all of those international banks would just hate to have that happen, so that is why we make the minimum payment on our debt - just like we do on credit cards.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information