Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default DoD Fire Academy, what can I expect?

So what kind of training, housing, treatment, etc. can I expect at the DoD Fire Academy in San Angelo, Tx? I'll be there starting mid-december. How long does it take to graduate?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Ie Shima Training Facility, Okinawa, Japan

the school is great!! I went there in '97 and again to get my HAZMAT T-t-T last year. ANYTHING and everything you could ever want is there. Just remember to study!! If you want to know more exact details, where to go what to do let me know.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

.............................. .
    Last edited by cgerdes97; 11-28-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Forum Member

Goodfellow is great. The food is good and the town is not very big so it doesnt give you very many distractions. I loved it down there it is an experience i will never forget. Like it was stated above remember to study.

Forum Member

Talking See You When I Get There

I start the Academy on 5 Jan.06,,,,,,, Just look for the Old Fart in that class (33 yr.old TSgt.) I wish I would have cross trained 10 years ago. I have heard nothing but great marks about the Folks and training at the Goodfellow,,,I am looking forward to it all,as long as those "young'ns" don't kill me in the process..

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

LOL good luck man. You'll have fun on 'drags and carries'. TSgt P I think yout thinking of... short guy. He's a great instructor and he's got some awesome stories.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Haha, I thought you were refering to a TSgt that was an instructor,sorry about that. So your re-classing as an E-6? going from 3 level all over again huh?

Forum Member

You got it,,,,,, I'm a 7 level from Power Production,,,,You would think that a TSgt. would be smarter than "start all over" ,,,, One of the E-7's in Fire Protection tried to get me to cross over several years ago, and I wouldn't listen to him,,,,but now I have made the change. If you want to be with the best, then you have to make a change before your time is up,,,,,and I wanted to be with the best (DODFire) so I now begin my journey all over again

Forum Member

If you ever see the men from the 134th (Knoxville,Tn) that's who I'm with,,,Great bunch of guys and 1 gal,,,,,

Forum Member

Thumbs up The old GAFB

You will do fine as long as your heart is in it, so many new kids there that dont want to be firefighters... and thats sad. So rock on fire dog and say hi to the girls at Grams for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You will love it

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    So what kind of training, housing, treatment, etc. can I expect at the DoD Fire Academy in San Angelo, Tx? I'll be there starting mid-december. How long does it take to graduate?
    I went to goodfellow in 1999 and i can honestly say I loved my time there. Of course at that time we had alot of rivalry with the other services. I was in the army. So that keeps competition going during school , which is great. Im now a federal firefighter at ft benning. If you take your schooling serious and keep progressing during your time in airforce you will have a good future ahead of you. Trust me !! I guess you could tell by my spelling that i was not in the airforce. lol joke I was a soldier!! Any way Have fun and be motivated this might be your career forever! OH i keep changing this cause i forgot to tell you i think it was a 13 week course when i went thru. I heard its alot easier now than it used to be. december is a great time of year to go thru the academy. If you run into SSG MCcool an army guy ask him bout banks or SSG ruesga ask him too. i worked with them thru out my career but they are there instructing now. let em know i said hi lol
    Last edited by JonBanks8ap03; 09-15-2005 at 02:20 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Life at Louis F Garland DOD Fire Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    I went through lasst fall, class 040811, and It was great. The school is one of the best of its kind, the housing is great, the facilitys are great. I was out of the Army for 10 years and reeinlisted in the Army Reserves just to get that school. I went through at 36 years old and I did just fine, actually I did much better than alot of the young guys coming straight out of basic training. Our class started out with 24 and graduated 17, so it is not a cake walk. If you have some heart and a backbone you shouldnt have a problem. To the 33 yr old TSgt, go get em old man!! I got in shape to go there so I didnt have any problems but some guys had nothing but problems. Do alot of cardio, work your legs and keep working out when you get there. Block 4 is the roughest but blk 6 is no joke either. It is easy to get lazy on your off time after all it is an Air Force school and base !! But hey Good Luck, Say hi to TSgt Vega for me and drink a Shiner Bock at O' Brians and Grahams and ...............

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

...It think Vega moved on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What to study

Greetings All,
    I will be starting the Academy soon as well. What should I study or read up on prior to getting there?
    Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

Thumbs up DOD Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Shady1
    Greetings All,
    I will be starting the Academy soon as well. What should I study or read up on prior to getting there?
    Thanks in advance!
    If you had a IFSTA 4th Edition Fire Essentials you could read that but I wouldnt worry about it. They will lecture on everything and you will have homework and mandatory study groups. If you want to do yourself some good, work out hard prior to going. Most people have problems due to poor conditioning and lack of backbone. What service are you with ? If you are coming out of basic training you shouldnt have any problems. People do struggle and get washed back and even get kicked out of the school. That is not an option. Get in shape, keep working out hard when you get there and maintain the proper attitude. Alot of guys (Air Force) seem to think the Military is a democracy and that the instructors actually give aF#$* about what they think. But hey dont worry get in shape have a good attitude and have fun. The instructors are top-notch, the school is great and it will be a great experience. You are going at a good time of the year it should be a little cooler when you are in full bunker gear doing hose advancements for 4-5 hours. Good Luck-Safety first

MembersZone Subscriber

Great. Thanks for the info. I will look for that book. I was prior service (Marine Corps) got out and going back in (Air Force). Thanks for the heads up regarding conditioning. Fortunately that is one area I don't have issues in. Thanks again and be safe!!

Forum Member

Default DoD Fire Academy

Hey TSgt! Don't let these kids fool you. I went through at 31. Graduated Sept 03. Transferred from Army . . .Infantry. Put the young kids to shame. It's all about endurance. As for studying . . . if you have an apptitude for remebering details the school is no problem. I studied at most an hour a week and made Distinguished Grad. Great school and great time! My only suggestion would be not to go during the summer if possible. Live burns get awfully hot in the middle of summer in Southwest TX. Have fun.

Forum Member

Talking

I am looking forward to it,,,,,just got to get the Cardio in shape,,,,I have told everyone that I wasn't going to let the "Kids" run all over me,,,,,Guess time will tell

Forum Member

Default The best training you could imagine

I attended the DOD academy in 1996. It was the best 4 months of training, but you must study all the time. just learn as much as you can

Forum Member

Talking Culture Shock

Quote Originally Posted by Shady1
    Great. Thanks for the info. I will look for that book. I was prior service (Marine Corps) got out and going back in (Air Force). Thanks for the heads up regarding conditioning. Fortunately that is one area I don't have issues in. Thanks again and be safe!!
    Get ready to be amazed, going from the Corps to Air Force will be a change of pace. You will love the facilities, I went through Army boot camp in 1986 and to see what it is like now amazed me. The Air Force really treats its people well. It is more like college than advanced training,you are housed in dorms, have tvs, microwaves and freedom. You will eat in a "Dining Facility" not a chow hall. It is a good time, I would go back in a second. But anyway take care,good luck and have fun. Dont forget cardio and legs and backbone and heart.
    Stay Safe

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information