MembersZone Subscriber

Default Allergy to Peanuts (Smoke that is!!)

Our department is in the process of acquiring a mobile fire prevention trailer c/w ducted (peanut oil) simulated smoke.

During discussion with our fire prevention group, one member stated that he had 'heard' (yeah I know ) of firefighters developing an intolerance to the simulated smoke to a point where working in the environment was impossible.

I of course will check with the MSDS sheets etc.. but was looking for any information out there where any one else knew of people developing an allergy to the generated smoke.. anecdotals in this case are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Default Not sure about developing an intolerance but.....

We had a FF that was deathly allergic to anyhting nut based. He would clamp up die if he was exposed to peanut oil based smoke for sure.

I'd make sure everyone knows that it is nut based to head off any problems.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by FHandz15
    We had a FF that was deathly allergic to anyhting nut based. He would clamp up die if he was exposed to peanut oil based smoke for sure.

I'd make sure everyone knows that it is nut based to head off any problems.
    I second that -- is there another option other then peanut oil?
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Is peanut oil all they use in "fog" machines?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

After doing some MSDS research etc.. It appears newer smoke generators are using a water based smoke fluid as opposed to the older (and maybe no longer used) peanut oil based fluids.

Supposedly the new stuff is completely non-allergenic.. but would still be very interested to hear of anyone who works with the fire safety trailers and who comes into contact with the smoke on a regular basis to see if they have had any negative experiences.

I am extremely reluctant to have to get to a point where we require pre completed permission slips for kids to participate in the trailer.. but again, anyone with experience using these trailers for FP programs, would really appreciate your input.

link to MSDS for the newer water based smoke fluids http://www.wfrfire.com/website/msds/mdg.htm
    Cheers

MembersZone Subscriber

Nuts or peanuts or both? Cause afterall peanuts are not nuts. They're legumes. (sp)

Forum Member

Nuts or peanuts or both? Cause afterall peanuts are not nuts. They're legumes. (sp)
    Not sure. I'd ask him but he went to another dept. 3 months ago.

We used to use a smoke machine that used mineral oil. Never had any problems, other than trying to start the machine!!

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FHandz15]We had a FF that was deathly allergic to anyhting nut based.

So he had to leave the department because the rest of you were nuts?

I couldn't resist.

I never used a nut oil base machine. Ours has a fluid that is like windshield wiper fluid. Mostly water, and (grain of salt), not supposed to be harmful or allergenic. So far so good, and it works pretty good too.
    There goes the neighborhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't allow kids with asthma into our trailer when the smoke machine is operating due to possible problems - unsure whether that rule is based on a past problem or whether it is due to not wanting to take any perceived risks.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillPSFB
    We don't allow kids with asthma into our trailer when the smoke machine is operating due to possible problems - unsure whether that rule is based on a past problem or whether it is due to not wanting to take any perceived risks.
    I've never heard of Peanut Oil Smoke before.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I'm allergic to peanuts, never gave it a thought with the 'simulated smoke'. We use the peanut oil stuff too b/c it was 110 bucks less than the green stuff. Smells kinda funky, but didn't kill me, obviously. Didn't even effect me in the least bit. I can touch peanuts, doesn't do anything, just can't eat anything with peanuts in it.

Thread Information