Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Purchasing Question

I'm a Long time reader first time writer. We received the grant in the first round last week. My problem is i'm a fire equipment dealer and Deputy Chief how do I go about selling to my own department? any advice.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The department still needs to ask for a minimum of 2 (DHS rules) or more if your state/local municipality requires more. The department does not have to receive bids, just solicit. If I were you, I would be no where to be found when any bids are received because that's insider info. Since you're the deputy chief, I'd get your solicitor for the department, or someone else to receive the bids and evaluate them, but leave the decision up to the department members outside of yourself. To pass the smell test you really should hide all details except for the costs of the equipment on the list so that no one knows which bid is yours. So I'd keep the bid generic and only specify types, not brands. So you'd ask for prices on 4500psi 30 minute SCBA, rubber fire boots, etc, not Scott SCBA or Ranger Boots.

But if the dept already has Brand X gear, and not replacing all of it, or keeping the few good sets for spares, then it is expected to buy Brand X again so that everything is compatible. Same with replacing SCBA if the old stuff could be compatible with the new stuff. So if you're the only dealer in that case, then you are technically the only one that can sell the stuff.

The other question would be: are you the owner or a salesperson? If you're just a salesperson, then pass the account off, you're probably on the line selling anything to the department. Owner, different story, go out of your way to make it impartial and document everything in case someone gets cranky and brings in the lawyers.

Last but not least, congratulations.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advice that is kinda what I was was thinking of doing. The last thing I want is the goverment after me or our department. We have very weak purchasing laws we are able to buy a truck without going out to bid. This work well because we get what we want. Thanks for help.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not a problem. We have the same no bid thing down here through a purchasing co-op. Since everything is pre-bid, it's just a big menu of toys without the hassle.

Thread Information