1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Berks County, PA
    Posts
    629

    Default

    I'm a Democrat, mostly becuase I find the people who run the Republican party far more repugnant, arrogant and generally distasteful all around than those who run the Democratic party. I don't like any of them...but we don't have open primaries in Pennsylvania...

    I don't, however, spout the party line on all issues, by a long shot...

    I believe fiscal responsibility is found in balanced budgets and/or modest surpluses to aid in debt reduction...not the tax-and-spend policies of old-school Democrats or the don't-tax-and-spend-like-idiots-anyway policies of the modern GOP.

    I believe free markets are a great resource allocation tool most of the time, but, in the real world, they also do fail from time to time. Therefore, there is a need for government intervention in the economy...but not in the wholly politically motivated ways in which our government has undertaken economic policy for decades.

    I believe in freedom of religion and, more importantly, freedom from religion. I have no right telling you what to believe or where and what to worship...but there is no place for your god in my government, either. Period.

    I'm pro-choice, without reservation or apology...and I'm also pro-death penalty for a list of offenses, as long as it's equitably enforced, regardless of demographics, socioeconomic status, region of the country, time of day, or anything else that might make it discriminatory.

    I believe it's none of my business - and certainly none of the government's business - what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes and relationships. I belive that, in turn, means debates over things like gay marriage should never have happened. The government has no place in the marriage business at all...that's a religious issue (see above)...it should record and enforce civil contracts between whichever consenting adults wish to enter into them. That's it.

    Overall, I believe I would rather have the government meddling in my financial life than my personal life.

    I believe freedom of speech, press and thought should be protected to the hilt...and I oppose censorship in all its forms, whether in the name of morality, political correctness, or pretty much anything else except public safety (the old "crying 'fire' in a crowded theater exception").

    I believe in my right to keep and bear arms...but also in the rights of me and others like me to at least keep an eye on who else is bearing arms. I think many gun control advocates take it to the point of paranoia...but I also think the NRA is run by a bunch of raving whack-jobs.

    I could go on...but I'm tired of typing...

  2. #27
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    Taxing people until there is a surplus isn't financial responsibility.It's overcharging people for services rendered.
    Borrowing at record levels is not ultimately bad for the economy, but potentially a national security issue.

    The GOP controls all aspects of the federal government and is running our country towards economic disaster.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber
    DougVelting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I try to remain in the common sense party, lets face it, no candidate in history has ever said what they actually mean or believe. If someone ever runs with the slogan "vote for me cause i cant screw it up anyworse" Ill be there on voting day.
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

  4. #29
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsnyder
    I'm a Democrat, mostly becuase I find the people who run the Republican party far more repugnant, arrogant and generally distasteful all around than those who run the Democratic party. I don't like any of them...but we don't have open primaries in Pennsylvania...

    I don't, however, spout the party line on all issues, by a long shot...

    I believe fiscal responsibility is found in balanced budgets and/or modest surpluses to aid in debt reduction...not the tax-and-spend policies of old-school Democrats or the don't-tax-and-spend-like-idiots-anyway policies of the modern GOP.

    I believe free markets are a great resource allocation tool most of the time, but, in the real world, they also do fail from time to time. Therefore, there is a need for government intervention in the economy...but not in the wholly politically motivated ways in which our government has undertaken economic policy for decades.

    I believe in freedom of religion and, more importantly, freedom from religion. I have no right telling you what to believe or where and what to worship...but there is no place for your god in my government, either. Period.

    I'm pro-choice, without reservation or apology...and I'm also pro-death penalty for a list of offenses, as long as it's equitably enforced, regardless of demographics, socioeconomic status, region of the country, time of day, or anything else that might make it discriminatory.

    I believe it's none of my business - and certainly none of the government's business - what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes and relationships. I belive that, in turn, means debates over things like gay marriage should never have happened. The government has no place in the marriage business at all...that's a religious issue (see above)...it should record and enforce civil contracts between whichever consenting adults wish to enter into them. That's it.

    Overall, I believe I would rather have the government meddling in my financial life than my personal life.

    I believe freedom of speech, press and thought should be protected to the hilt...and I oppose censorship in all its forms, whether in the name of morality, political correctness, or pretty much anything else except public safety (the old "crying 'fire' in a crowded theater exception").

    I believe in my right to keep and bear arms...but also in the rights of me and others like me to at least keep an eye on who else is bearing arms. I think many gun control advocates take it to the point of paranoia...but I also think the NRA is run by a bunch of raving whack-jobs.

    I could go on...but I'm tired of typing...
    So, in essence, you really don't believe in anything.

  5. #30
    Forum Member
    fireguy919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    eastern Ohio
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Did not matter if you claimed a party or not, I got calls from all sides too in this past election.
    What you trying to say Dennis. I wasnít the only one. But they told me I was very important. I canít believe this. I feel so used lol
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

    IACOJ probie

  6. #31
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Borrowing at record levels is not ultimately bad for the economy, but potentially a national security issue.

    The GOP controls all aspects of the federal government and is running our country towards economic disaster.
    If the GOP has such strong control, why is the radical right complaining that the leadership can't get anything that they want done? Is it because the majority of the GOP is not realy as radical as some would like to paint them, or because the Constitution is set up to give no single group absolute power?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  7. #32
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    If the GOP has such strong control, why is the radical right complaining that the leadership can't get anything that they want done? Is it because the majority of the GOP is not realy as radical as some would like to paint them, or because the Constitution is set up to give no single group absolute power?
    Because the group in power always has a vested interest in maintaining spending to pay back the constituents who put them there in the first place.

    You think its an accident that a state like Alaska which sends minimal dollars is on the receiving end of a much higher rate of federal spending than other states when Sen Stevens is doing all the arm twisting? It's easy to blast away at tax and spend liberals when the blue states are paying the freight of the red states.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  8. #33
    the 4-1-4
    Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    You think its an accident that a state like Alaska which sends minimal dollars is on the receiving end of a much higher rate of federal spending than other states when Sen Stevens is doing all the arm twisting? It's easy to blast away at tax and spend liberals when the blue states are paying the freight of the red states.

    This is precisely my point regarding problems with the political system of today, " he who gives the most, gets his way."
    This is a problem plagueing both sides of the aisle.
    As far as the tax and spend liberals, I recieve a much larger federal tax refund now, as opposed to the '90's, even though I have refinanced to lower interest rates a number of times since then. My mortgage is my primary tax credit.

  9. #34
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    As far as the tax and spend liberals, I recieve a much larger federal tax refund now, as opposed to the '90's
    Look here to see why.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  10. #35
    the 4-1-4
    Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Look here to see why.
    I know exactly why. People spend too much time with the whole "tax cut's for the rich" squeal. I'm not rich, the tax cuts benefitted me quite a bit, they also were very welcomed by my co-workers. We each had a good sum of extra money to spend as we see fit, thanks primarily to the Bush tax cuts. In fact, alot of that money went to support our troops in the form of cash donations, and now much will probably go to help the hurricane victims. That's purely guess work, based on conversations at work. Either way, or none of those ways, it's money I will gladly take back, and I put back into the economy in a positive way, as opposed to some useless handout program that does nothing but waste it.
    I live through enough of that every day at the local, and the state level. That's what happens when you live in a "blue" state. You get over taxed, and you watch your money get ****ed away, with no benefit to anyone.
    Are there problems at the federal level? Absolutely, but we need to look back through time, and see when this defecit began. If I'm not mistaken, it didn't start in January of 2001, or even January of 1981, for that matter.
    Every president, in recent history has run with a defecit. Clinton ran with one as well. He may have had a balanced budget, on paper, but in all reality it did nothing with our debt.
    Last edited by jasper45; 09-03-2005 at 10:27 PM.

  11. #36
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    Clinton ran with one as well. He may have had a balanced budget, on paper, but in all reality it did nothing with our debt.
    WRONG!!!! When a budget is balanced. The debt doesn't increase. Nor does the interest on the debt. Both of which have occurred under Bush.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  12. #37
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    WRONG!!!! When a budget is balanced. The debt doesn't increase. Nor does the interest on the debt. Both of which have occurred under Bush.
    How does the interest on the debt not increase? As long as money is not going towards paying down the debt, the interest will always be compounding. Show me where Clinton paid down the debt at a rate higher then the interest accumulation.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  13. #38
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    How does the interest on the debt not increase? As long as money is not going towards paying down the debt, the interest will always be compounding. Show me where Clinton paid down the debt at a rate higher then the interest accumulation.
    Interest is a function of priniciple. If the principle doesn't increase, the interest upon it doesn't increase. This is simple finance. If the principle increases, the interest increases. If the interest is compounding as you put forth in your scenario, it is compounding at a lower rate since it based upon a lower principle.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  14. #39
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Interest is a function of priniciple. If the principle doesn't increase, the interest upon it doesn't increase. This is simple finance. If the principle increases, the interest increases. If the interest is compounding as you put forth in your scenario, it is compounding at a lower rate since it based upon a lower principle.
    What Econ class did you fail? As long as interest is accumulating, the principle is growing and thus the next interest payment will be that much higher. Clinton did nothing to lower the principle when he had the oppertunity. Neither did the GOP Congress, but they have not been running around for the last five years complaining that it had not been done either.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  15. #40
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    DM: You asked:

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    How does the interest on the debt not increase?
    If the principle doesn't increase, say because you haven't added to the principle because the budget is balanced, the interest won't increase either. Pretty simple.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  16. #41
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    DM: You asked:



    If the principle doesn't increase, say because you haven't added to the principle because the budget is balanced, the interest won't increase either. Pretty simple.
    Yes but you ignore the fact that the interest has not always been paid, it accumulates and we are forced to pay interest on the interest, each interest payment defered, which is something that happaned a lot during the Clinton administration, adds to the principle on which the interst is based. The "debt clock never came to a complete stop, and never reversed direction, it just slowed down enough to not be as dramatic as it once was.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  17. #42
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    The "debt clock never came to a complete stop, and never reversed direction, it just slowed down enough to not be as dramatic as it once was.
    Compared to its current spinning like a top, which is preferable?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  18. #43
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Compared to its current spinning like a top, which is preferable?
    Doesn't matter in this discussion, I was right and you were not, nahhnahhnannaahhnann
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  19. #44
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Doesn't matter what party anyone is. Neither party cares about the citizen.

    No politician cares about the individual either. They care about 3 things: Power, money, and keeping their jobs. They will do anything to get as many of the three as possible.

    Both parties are full of politicians. Very few public servants (yes there is a difference between the two) exist in either party.

    Don't believe me? Watch the news or the Sunday morning politics shows. Politicians up there yammering away against the other side, not saying a damn thing about the people affected - us. The taxpayer. The citizen.


    My Merriam - Webster's defines politician as:

    1) a person experienced in the art or science of government.
    2) a person engaged in party politics as a profession.
    3) a person interested in political office for selfish reason t other narro, usually short-sighted reasons.

    Pretty much sums up the dirtbag twits we have in office at all levels of government. The longer we keep letting these twits stay in office the worse our country will get, regardless of which party is in power.

    The citizens have given up our power and given it to the politicians. Many of us are too stupid to realize it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  20. #45
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I consider myself a conservative, however, there are some things I am conservative about and others I am liberal about.

    I vote based on best candidates and the best things for me and my community. I don't let my party affiliation automatically cast my vote.
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

  21. #46
    Forum Member
    xploded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Conservative thru and thru. Not tied to GOP or Dem.
    Last edited by xploded; 09-10-2005 at 11:35 PM. Reason: change text

  22. #47
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Oh, I probably should have answered the question originally posted in the question huh?

    I am a registered Republican, but when my schedule allows in a few weeks I will most likely head to the County Courthouse to change it to Libertarian (if I actually remember to.)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  23. #48
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Doesn't matter what party anyone is. Neither party cares about the citizen.
    True, a party represents its members, not the individual citizens.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    No politician cares about the individual either. They care about 3 things: Power, money, and keeping their jobs. They will do anything to get as many of the three as possible.
    False, you must not know any politicians personally. There is little money in it and power takes a very long time to accumulate. Almost every politician has taken that road of life because they do want to help individuals and have an oppertunity to have a positive impact on society. Their philosophies on how to help may very greatly, but their end goals are almost all the same. To make America(or what ever country they are in) a better place for all.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Both parties are full of politicians. Very few public servants (yes there is a difference between the two) exist in either party.
    The word you are looking for is NOT "Public Servents", anyone that serves qualifies for that, teachers, town garbage men, firemen, police, street sweeper, guy who sets the timeing on stop lights, etc. The word you are looking for is "Statesmen", and yes we are lacking that in our elected officials who sometimes put party ahead of constituents, but they do exist, you just have to look with an open mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Don't believe me? Watch the news or the Sunday morning politics shows. Politicians up there yammering away against the other side, not saying a damn thing about the people affected - us. The taxpayer. The citizen.
    You must not listen too much, because that is all that they are talking about, how they can help better then the other guy. The solutions just get hidden in the debate sometimes.


    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    My Merriam - Webster's defines politician as:

    1) a person experienced in the art or science of government.
    2) a person engaged in party politics as a profession.
    3) a person interested in political office for selfish reason t other narro, usually short-sighted reasons.
    Your third definition is actually a "b" not a third category. Seems that you know the art of spin and are being a little political here yourself for your own philosophical reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Pretty much sums up the dirtbag twits we have in office at all levels of government. The longer we keep letting these twits stay in office the worse our country will get, regardless of which party is in power.
    Could say the same of cops and firefighters that abuse the trust placed upon them that makes the front pages too often.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    The citizens have given up our power and given it to the politicians. Many of us are too stupid to realize it.
    The only citizens that have given up their power are those that do not get involved in the process and those that refuse to vote for what ever reason.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  24. #49
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    1 - I don't know them personally. Politicians are career folks. Public servants wish to actually help folks.

    I have yet to see a politician make the lot in life better for many folks. If you take a look at the political stances of a party and its politicians, they do not seem to solve an issue as then they lose that issue - but they will rail like heck about it.

    Personally, there is a difference between a politician and one who holds a political office. Just how I feel, like it or not.

    2 - If I meant "Statesman" I would have said it. You are paid to serve the public (whether you do or not is a different story) therefore you are a public servant.

    You can call them what you want, but I will call them as I wish to.

    I have not seen a "Statesman" in a very long time, if ever.

    3 - OK. SO they talk about the "little guy" but I have yet to see them help the "little guy."

    4 - So it is a "b." It is still a listed definition. Taken on it's own, it is a definition.

    I was not trying to spin anything. I was listing the definitions. Do you really think that it would make a difference if I had put a "b" in front of it instead of a "3?" Thank your for your attempt to interpret my mind.

    5 - I do say the same thing about police officers and firefighters on the front page. I don't see a whole lot of stuff about politicians there. When I do, I say the same thing.

    6 - We are both correct. If you do not vote, you have given up a right. If you continue to elect people who chip away at your rights by passing laws, you have done the same thing.

    Either way, we all lose. Nothing will change, the politicians are counting on it.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 09-12-2005 at 07:41 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  25. #50
    Forum Member
    stm4710's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Toga Party!!!!!!

    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Largo Fla--Another Party Prank Goes Terribly Wrong
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 06:27 PM
  2. Party!
    By DeputyChiefGonzo in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2002, 11:37 AM
  3. Mutual Aid Agreement for those who need it
    By Firefighter430 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2002, 01:53 PM
  4. Bachelor party / wedding ????
    By firefighter26 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-24-2002, 08:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register