Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default just interested .what party you are

what polital party do you consider yourself. not counting of course the one issue parties, ie. antiabortion, marjahana

Forum Member

Well, lets see how long we can keep this one civil...

I'm conservative. But not part of the religeous right by any means.

None. I vote for who I think will do the better job. Besides, none of the parties fit all of my views.

A few topics for example...

I support a womans right to choose (Lib)
    I support the death penalty (Con)
    I support protecting the enviroment (Lib)
    I support a strong national defense (Con)
    I support stem cell research (Lib)
    I support lower taxes (Con)

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. What we need is a "middle of the road" party
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

A middle of the road independent, and I don't drink the Kool aid from either side of the aisle. I prefer Guinness or a good microbrew!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I am a steadfast conservative. Politics in my local area, as well as the state, have kept me from belonging to the Republican party. Too many RINO's ... "republican in name only" ... who too often are worse than the democrat's are, or ever could be.
    There is plenty of garbage strewn about the streets here from both parties, cover up's, scandals, and so on.
    I certainly don't fit the bill by the Anti-American green party, and certainly not the libertarian party. I'm left without a party, I guess. Have Guinness, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    I am a steadfast conservative. Politics in my local area, as well as the state, have kept me from belonging to the Republican party. Too many RINO's ... "republican in name only" ...
    Republicans were moderates long before the Far Right Conservative movement tried to take the whole thing over. As soon as the radical right relaizes that and that they owe the moderates much more then the moderates owe them, the Republican party will finally have a truely steady hold on the government. The moderates are and always have been the TRUE base of the Republican Party.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I consider myself to be a conservative Libertarian.
    Leave my taxes and guns alone,do all the heroin that you want to.Good luck with it.
    Oh,and on the brew question,if I'm buying,it's Coors and/or Coors light.
    If you are,whatever's coldest and closest to the barkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Republicans were moderates long before the Far Right Conservative movement tried to take the whole thing over. As soon as the radical right relaizes that and that they owe the moderates much more then the moderates owe them, the Republican party will finally have a truely steady hold on the government. The moderates are and always have been the TRUE base of the Republican Party.

This sounds an awfull lot like the rhetoric coming from the Democrat's. We're really not out of mainstream, we're really not liberal, we're really just moderates, and so on.
    What does this mean? It means they are only concerned about votes, and not really about getting anything done. Their more concerned about staying in power, all the while not really accomplishing anything with that power. Their more concerned about what poles say, rather than what needs, or should be done. All reasons why I refuse to associate with the republican party, at least at this point in time.
    My stance on the republican party is based largely on my own state's politic's, though I do have some criticism of policies on the national level.
    My stance as a conservative is not "far right", but rather as more a "description". It's more of an attempt to stay consistant in my belief's, rather than sellout to money, entirely. Something both major parties are guilty of.
    I support conservative fiscal and social agenda's. I support tax cuts and so on. Not necesarily for the rich, but for myself and my family. Something this president has accomplished, not the republican party.

I support conservative fiscal and social agenda's. I support tax cuts and so on. Not necesarily for the rich, but for myself and my family. Something this president has accomplished, not the republican party.
    So you want a social agenda that tells folks that if they are not you, then they are wrong? Sounds like the Southern Dem's of 1850-1965.

As for fiscal conservatives, it was the right wing self discribed true that tried to throw a Coup' over Newt Gingrich for not being conservative enough AFTER he lead the nation to a balanced budget. The Country does not need hard core from the Left or Right, what we need are statesmen that do what is right for everyone not just their side of the debate.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

This sounds an awfull lot like the rhetoric coming from the Democrat's. We're really not out of mainstream, we're really not liberal, we're really just moderates, and so on.
    What does this mean? It means they are only concerned about votes, and not really about getting anything done. Their more concerned about staying in power, all the while not really accomplishing anything with that power.
    Why steamroll the minority just because you won the most resent election? That is not governing, that is dictating an edict sort of like the mullahs of the Middle East. It is not what the Founding Fathers on any side had in mind when they set up our system of government with our incredible Constitution which keeps any majority in check. You steamroll the minority and you are going to be in deep crap when you are back in the minority, it is what lead to the GOP Revolution of 1994 in the first place, and what the GOP is now headed to do themselves. Just by the very fact that the margins of victory lately have been so close shows that the people are more interested in good governing rather then any sweeping changes to the landscape. And well they should think that, overall we are in great shape socially, economically and in the national “Happy Quotient”.
    -Big Russ

[QUOTE=DennisTheMenace]So you want a social agenda that tells folks that if they are not you, then they are wrong? Sounds like the Southern Dem's of 1850-1965.
    QUOTE]

Nice job on the spin, or better yet, putting words in my mouth. Never once did I suggest that those who are differant than myself are wrong. I hold a number of opinion's that are differant than those of the mainstream republican party, the reason for the statement's I made earlier. I hadn't realized that we had morphed this thread into a differant topic, already.

As for fiscal conservatives, it was the right wing self discribed true that tried to throw a Coup' over Newt Gingrich for not being conservative enough AFTER he lead the nation to a balanced budget. The Country does not need hard core from the Left or Right, what we need are statesmen that do what is right for everyone not just their side of the debate.
    The majority of my issue with the republican party is at the state level, no more, no less. I am fairly happy with our federal level of government, it is my state and local government with which the real issue is, for me.
    My state has been driven by a lack of fiscal restraint, as well as over taxation for a number of years. Both sides of the aisle are as guilty as the other, here.
    No politician has ever reduced my tax burdon, except at the federal level.

Again though, you are missing my point in my complaint about the GOP. They are driven by special interest groups, and the money they are given. The same is true with the democrat's. Until some of these particular issue's are solved, it is whoever has the most money gets their way. It has nothing to do with this high and mighty moderation garbage.
    I can agree with you, we do need statesmen. We need politicians who do what is right for our country, not for their donors. Were close now, but certain issues show that money still talks the loudest.
    Last edited by jasper45; 08-29-2005 at 05:00 PM.

So you want a social agenda that tells folks that if they are not you, then they are wrong? Sounds like the Southern Dem's of 1850-1965.
    Nice job on the spin, or better yet, putting words in my mouth. Never once did I suggest that those who are differant than myself are wrong. I hold a number of opinion's that are differant than those of the mainstream republican party, the reason for the statement's I made earlier. I hadn't realized that we had morphed this thread into a differant topic, already.
    I try to return the spin I am sent with a nice counter rotation and a slight curve.
    -Big Russ

The majority of my issue with the republican party is at the state level, no more, no less. I am fairly happy with our federal level of government, it is my state and local government with which the real issue is, for me.
    My state has been driven by a lack of fiscal restraint, as well as over taxation for a number of years. Both sides of the aisle are as guilty as the other, here.
    No politician has ever reduced my tax burdon, except at the federal level.

Again though, you are missing my point in my complaint about the GOP. They are driven by special interest groups, and the money they are given. The same is true with the democrat's. Until some of these particular issue's are solved, it is whoever has the most money gets their way. It has nothing to do with this high and mighty moderation garbage.
    I can agree with you, we do need statesmen. We need politicians who do what is right for our country, not for their donors. Were close now, but certain issues show that money still talks the loudest.
    For the career politician the campaighn money goes to those that are potentially successful, the success does not go to those with them money. The majority of those guys worked their way up the ladder at elected positions that don't pay squat. Only occasionally do you get the Bill Frists that just jump into it with their millions, but even then, that money came from success in another field(although very well seeded with his dad's money )

But with your last line you are forgetting, a politician and a statesmen are two totally different characters. Bill Clinton was possibly our nations greatest "politician" ever, but he was not much of a Statesman.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a staunch, died in the wool, liberal.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Gee George, I thought we had so much in common!!
    Last edited by DianeC; 08-29-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: fix a typo
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Yup...and Limbaugh and Ted Kennedy have lunch every Thursday, too.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Since I believe fiscal responsibility is crucial to our national economy I'm forced to be a democrat.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

I’m independent. And let me tell you I was the most important person ever this election year. I had to be with all the people that called me. Everyone from Arnold to Bush himself. I would have at least ten messages every night when I go home. It was unreal. Who would of guessed not claiming one party or the other would of helped me to get all these calls
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Well,a WWII Admiral is quoted as saying"When you are in command,command."
    This means that when a President has a majority of his Party's members in office along with him,he gets to decide how the country is run.There should be checks and balances,like we are taught in Civics class in HS but the President has the final say in how the national policy is set.
    You might not like it and don't have to but you had your say when you cast your vote and write your congresscritter.(You DO write your congresscritter,don't you?)
    Politicians and Reverends with a politcal agenda running off to countries and then spouting their opinion of what should be done,instead of meeting privately with the President and asking him to consider their opinion for an action aren't helping.
    My general opinion of politicians,anyway,comes from Stephen Coonts' book"Flight of the Minotaur"where a naval officer assigned to Pentagon duty mutters"Politicians.If you rendered the lot of 'em,you wouldn't end up with a thimblefull of scruples."

Why steamroll the minority just because you won the most resent election? That is not governing, that is dictating an edict sort of like the mullahs of the Middle East.

Thread Information