Forum Member

Default Fire Shirts Off Our Backs

Hey...
    So many of us want to help our Brother and Sister firefighters effected in the Gulf Coast-and thanks to the IAFF, the NVFC, the IAFC and many others-there are many outstanding ways to help-especially from a financial standpoint. Go to their sites for more details.

Additionally, here is a very simple, low cost, meaningful way to help your Brother and Sister Firefighters...all of them....quickly.

A friend of ours Pete Matthews (from Firehouse) started collecting some FD T-shirts for a friend of ours-and many of yours-N.O.F.D. District Chief (and world known fire photographer) Chris Mickal. The folks at Fire-Rescue Magazine also joined in the effort. The goal was to help a friend. Well, now-there are plenty of shirts that will soon be delivered to Chris... but then we realized that EVERY FF down there could use some clean T-shirts. So I talked to some friends about this idea.
    Nothing fancy-and of course, they will need more than shirts, but this is a start. And it would be from firefighters to firefighters without anyone else in between. Remember that the majority of FF's in those areas have lost everything.

If you and/or your FD can spare some new (unused) FD T-shirts of varied sizes, please join in on the firefighters 'THE SHIRTS OFF OUR BACKS" plan to provide as many FD T-shirts from the USA, Canada and from all over the world so they can see some immediate relief...and KNOW how much FIREFIGHTERS take care of FIREFIGHTERS. Everytime they wear one of your T-shirts...they will know.

Send your T-shirt(s) as soon as possible to:

FIRE SHIRTS OFF OUR BACKS
    c/o Bladensburg Fire Rescue Co. 9
    4213 Edmonston Road
    Bladensburg, Maryland 20710

Not only will these shirts be delivered quickly by firefighters for firefighters and be a welcome comfort-but they will provide those firefighters with HOPE...something that is extremely critical for their survival right now. They will know first hand how much your FD and your FIREFIGHTERS really care.
    Small gesture-BIG payoff.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS E-MAIL, POST THIS E-MAIL AND PASS ON THIS E-MAIL TO OTHER FIREFIGHTERS.

Thanks-Take Care,
    BillyG & GordonG
    The Secret List 9-4-05
    www.FirefighterCloseCalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Was told that NO PIO and two cops commited suicide yesterday. Also guestimated death toll was to be around 25-30K.

Cpt. Common Sents

I dont know about that number but were you by any chance watching FOX. they have seemed to be jumping the gun a little bit. I have heard things such as the entire police force deserted to cops were being held hostage in a hospital

Disillusioned Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tyler101
    Was told that NO PIO and two cops commited suicide yesterday. Also guestimated death toll was to be around 25-30K.
    I hadn't heard about the PIO, but one of the news channels showed film of them talking to a NOPD official about the 2 suicides.

I think it was CNN, but they've all blurred together.

EDIT: AP is reporting there were 2 suicides involving NOPD officers. One of them was the PIO. Police officer death story
    Last edited by Steamer; 09-05-2005 at 01:43 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Disillusioned Subscriber

I just found this. Talk about eerie....look at the date.

NOVA hurricane video
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Wow.... eerie indeed
    ~*Chris McCown*~
    FireFighter / Rescue Sergeant / NREMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a paragraph from an AP story:
    Amid the tragedy, about two dozen people gathered in the French Quarter for the Decadence Parade, an annual Labor Day gay celebration. Matt Menold, 23, a street musician wearing a sombrero and a guitar slung over his back, said: "It's New Orleans, man. We're going to celebrate."
    Great perspective.

Forum Member

Backfrom NO ...

Returned from a 4 day stint in NO yesterday. Worked the west side of the city which is still flooded on boat crews and evacuating a hospital. Things are bad down there but getting better. manpower and resources no longer an issue .. actually in our area they were never an issue since I arrived on Thursday. Our area was relativly safe and never had an issue with looting or volience.

Been reading this morning trying to catch up ,,, I never did have a problem with FEMA response but based on conversations the local prepardness was **** poor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    Backfrom NO ...
    Been reading this morning trying to catch up ,,, I never did have a problem with FEMA response but based on conversations the local prepardness was **** poor.
    Can I get an AMEN?!

Some Guy

That video is very scary
    This space for rent

Forum Member

i was driving down to DC this past weekend, and on saturaday afternoon, I saw 2 NYPD units, 1 NYPD highway patrol unit, 2 road repair units, 2 command post units, 1 small ESU unit, and about 30 NYC metro busses traveling down I-95. I'm guessing they were sending them to new orleans.

I also saw 20 busses coming northbound full of people in baltimore, the PD actually shut down all of I-95 north bound so the busses could make it through.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Default Did this happen?

A big amen George

Here's an email that should be read by those who listen to the likes of the Mayor of New Orleans (and others) who want to blame GW for the horrendous problems caused by Hurricane Katrina.

At least one 16 year old black kid used his head and commandeered one of those buses you see below and drove 80 people to safety in Texas. What a kid!! That young fellow should be the next Mayor of New Orleans! -Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The big question that will eventually be asked of the New Orleans Mayor:

WHY DIDN'T YOU DEPLOY THE BUSES DURING THE MANDATORY EVACUATION, MAYOR?...

Louisiana disaster plan, page 13, paragraph 5 , dated 01/00

'The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require assistance in evacuating'...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My response.

I'm fairly new to this website and I've just spent the last hour or so reading over all of the dialogue in the 15 pages shown on this site. This is the first time I've posted anything on this website but I felt compelled to say something. There were a lot of good points raised here and some not so good ones in response to all that occurred as a result of Hurricane Katrina. That's my opinion and that's all I care to comment about what I've read.

I myself have worked for independent agencies, local,state, county and federal government and I have seen first hand some of what went on this last disaster.

I worked in MS for a little over 4 months on this last disaster. I performed whatever duties were asked of me and those not asked when I could.
    I saved a semi-truck drivers life on the side of the road when his truck overturned. I had the chance to put families who had lost everything into new homes and get their basic needs met, I pushed paper, I moved boxes, assembled beds and did whatever else was asked of me.

I have responded to 4 disasters. I ask my brothers to assist in any and all ways possible on future disasters in any capacity you are called.

It can be a very cuthroat process and it can be extremely discouraging working with the Federal Government or any Government Agency in my experience. I've even seen some dirtyness within agencies like the Red Cross, FEMA, State and Local Government and I hate to say it but it exists just about everywhere.

It's hard to keep a good attitude when you see a huge, overwhelming mess but if you can manage to do it you will get through it and help others to as well. If you know what you are doing is right and you responded within the boudaries of the law just stand your ground and eventually you can beat those that stand in your way. You won't win all the fights but you can win some. I've learned even in working everyday jobs that politics exist.
    I tend to lean on the side of being an idealist but I have learned that I am not God. My existence really matters only to him, my family, my friends, my family at my department and those who God works through me to help in any way I can.

In this disaster there was little to no communication anywhere with any responding party on where the help was given, who received the help etc. and fraud is very discouraging/same as looting. I TRY not to judge people. I wouldn't personally do some of the things people do and I can't control what they do. LA and MS are two of the lowest educated states in our nation and I hate to say it but it showed.

I've seen a lot of things I could let discourage me but I chose to persevere on and fight for righteousness.

From what I experienced in MS. I would say a failure of communication between all parties was the major factor but there were some underlying issues we faced due to economic status, race, religion and plain old complacency on the part of many people as well as other things. Complacency of responsible persons, Lack of Compassion and Responsibility on the part of individuals and an almost non-existent sense of Community in places.

I was re-affirmed in my belief that you cannot trust the media.

I'd ask anyone who's still reading this message not to let politics or people's selfishness stand in your way of doing what you know is right.

It's like my Chief told me while I was there.
    "Hang in there kid, one person can make a difference and I know you will."

On disasters there has to be communication between everybody the Non-profits, Church Organizations, Voluntary Agencies, Agencies, and All Levels/Parties of Government involved. The hard part is that not everybody has te same level of experience, many had none and many also didn't have the equipment to do certain things. However I found common sense to be my biggest help, that and I had experience on my side. Also, the communication that exists has to be efficient, clear and concise.

I send out a thanks to our brothers and sisters on the coast who responded with such bravery. Also, to those who responded from across the country to help those on the coast! God Bless you for what you did. I also extend a gratitude to those who responded from across the country as well as from overseas or our neighboring nations. A huge thanks is due to the Military, Non-Profits, Church Groups (UMCORP,the Mennonites, the Bob Ford Foundation and some not so big Organizations), etc. Thanks to any and all of you that helped because the assistance was and still is needed in many ways.

Be safe! God Speed!

Sheri
    Firefighter/EMT/Hazmat Tech.

Forum Member

Katrina blamed for death of Barry Cowsill
    1/5/2006, 5:43 p.m. CT
    By CHEVEL JOHNSON
    The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) Barry Cowsill, a member of the popular 1960s singing family The Cowsills, was found dead on a wharf nearly four months after he disappeared when Hurricane Katrina flooded the city. He was 51.

Cowsill's body, recovered Dec. 28 from the Chartres Street Wharf, was identified with dental records Tuesday, said Dr. Louis Cataldie, head of the state hurricane morgue in Carville.

The coroner had not determined the cause of death but believed it was related to the devastating storm, which struck the city Aug. 29.

Cowsill, who lived on and off in New Orleans, had not been heard from since he left phone messages for his sister Sept. 1, his family's Web site said.

"They tell us he'd been dead for quite some time," Richard Cowsill, his brother, said in a telephone interview Thursday. "We love him and we're going to miss him, but he's in a much better place, in my mother's arms."

The Cowsills the inspiration for the TV series "The Partridge Family," recorded a series of top hits between 1967 and 1970, including "The Rain, The Park and Other Things" and "Hair." They also were spokespersons for the American Dairy Association, appearing in commercials and print ads for milk.

Four Cowsill brothers played in the band: Barry on bass, Bill on guitar, Bob on guitar and organ, and John on drums. Their mother, Barbara, and little sister, Susan, eventually joined the group.

The Cowsills got their start in Newport, R.I., where by 1965 they had a regular gig at a club. They were spotted by a producer for NBC's "Today" show who booked them for an appearance that led to a record deal.

The band broke up in the 1970s, amid acrimony that left some members estranged from each other for several years.

"It wasn't just the end of a business, it was the end of a family," Bob Cowsill said in a 1990 interview.

Barbara Cowsill died in 1985.

In addition to his siblings, Cowsill is survived by two daughters and a son.

Richard Cowsill said no memorial service was planned and that his brother would be cremated. "He always said when I leave this place, you better party. And that's what we're planning to do," he said.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information