Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Stay Safe Brothers and Sisters !
    I hope you can ride this out without to much damage.

Stay Safe
    Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    How far will this huricane make it up into the mainland? Someone that came into my store today said that parts of arkansas, missouri, kansas, and the kentucky area are going to get the reminents of the huricane.(
    They are forecasting 4 to 8 inches of rain here in Northwest Ohio Tuesday night through Wed from the remnants:

Katrina Forecasted Path
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

If this storm is as strong as feared.The responders in the area will need all our prayer's.Your training will guide you throughout this event!God Bless!

Hang tough and be safe!
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

This may be a silly question, but where to emergency personnel go during the storm? Do you drive your apparatus away from the storm and come back when it over or do you ride it out? I've not been through anything like this.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

All of you in Katrina's path are in my thoughts as well .... STAY SAFE!!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Many thoughts and prayers from the Panhandle of Florida. We're with you guys in LA & MS as you were with us in Ivan.

Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers go our to all of the emergency responders, that will have to deal with Katrina. Be as safe as you can possibly be, we're all thinking of you!!
    Stay Safe!

Scott
    Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

Thoughts and prayers coming from Southeast Coastal Georgia...we know it could be us one day....

Quote Originally Posted by FB1138
    This may be a silly question, but where to emergency personnel go during the storm? Do you drive your apparatus away from the storm and come back when it over or do you ride it out? I've not been through anything like this.

I was just wondering exactly the same thing. They're predicting that the French Quarter will be as much as 20 feet underwater, surely they won't leave anything that can be moved.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

I wish you guys luck and praying for you all.

With a storm liek this I don't know where responders would go . You can't respond in winds over 45 mph so there's really nothign you can do.

last year when 3 hurricanes hit right in a row and headed our way every district stayed at its own station did evacuations and hoped for the best. Wasn't that bad thank god I recorded the highest wind in my district was around 48 mph , lots of trees down and powerlines and lots of rain thats about all that happened to our county. many others further south than us were less fortunate.

If somethign of this magnetude3 were to hit opur area I'm not sure where first responders would go I'd liek to take a look and discuss plans designed for disasters liek this.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

I was also wondering where emergency personnel are going to be during the storm. The NOFD's headquarters is on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Certainly couldn't happen to a more vulnerable city. Can you imagine telling a half a million people to leave and leave now.

Another thing I noticed was that they didn't, at least that I saw, open the opposite lanes of Rt. 10 to help people escape.

Quote Originally Posted by cfdeng3
    I was also wondering where emergency personnel are going to be during the storm. The NOFD's headquarters is on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Certainly couldn't happen to a more vulnerable city. Can you imagine telling a half a million people to leave and leave now.

Another thing I noticed was that they didn't, at least that I saw, open the opposite lanes of Rt. 10 to help people escape.
    Yeah, i noticed the same thing and wondered about it. But I've seen a couple of clips since then that showed traffic in both lanes heading the same direction.

When I as involved in relief/rescue/recovery in Florida after Opel, Erin, and George I only once saw I-10 opened up both ways for people evacuating. But they did close off large sections of the incomming lanes on a couple highways to let emergency vehicles and crews travel freely. Nothing like doing 100+ on an interstate and passing a cop and having him wave to you. Good fun, I wish I'd been able to drive.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Administrator

Here's the latest on what the New Orleans Fire Department is doing to prepare and what they'll do once it hits:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=44283

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone involved from your brothers and sisters down here in FL. We know what you guys are gonna be going through, and we'll be praying.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

Good luck down there guys. The wife and I spend a wonderful weekend in New Orleans last year. I hate to think such a beutiful city could be destroyed.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Forum Member

Default Additional Contacts for ALL Gulf Shores and Surrounding Area Disaster Coordinators

ANY DEPARTMENTS WISHING TO SUPPORT RELIEF EFFORTS SHOULD WORK DIRECTLY WITH THEIR STATE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY AND/OR FEMA DIRECTLY.

WEBTEAM

Kudos to the Web team for making everyone aware that the hankering need to "help" needs to be through the correct FEMA supported branch, State or Local or Region coordinators. The other post is definitely correct. While someone in need does not care what name is on your FD uniform, it does need to be a coordinated and approved effort to avoid chaos.

Take care and stay safe.

GUY
    Last edited by FYRTRUCKGUY2; 08-29-2005 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Good Luck and Stick With the Orchestrated Plan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thoughts and prayers

My thoughts and prayers go out to the bothers down South. They're even calling for 1 - 5 inches of rain in Pittsburgh, the 5.7 from Ivan last year terrorized us for days. Reports said that some N.O. Fire Companies were already staging in high level parking garages and won't be able to respond until winds get back below 45 mph. I find it unbelievable that the gov't can't assist all these people out of New Orleans and put them the the dome, but we have all this money to be spending in other countries. My prayers go out to all of you.

Stick together. Stay safe.

RTB-FTM

Exclamation

From the plains of Nebraska good luck and godspeed to the brothers and sisters of my homestate. You, your families, and our great state will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Union, Justice, and Confidence
    ***The opinions and beliefs expressed above are mine and mine alone based on my education, training, and personal experiences. In no way do they reflect those of my employer(s), their affiliates, or any professional organizations that I belong to.***

Forum Member

I am wondering...just out of curiosity sake...where on the web can we find a site that would tell us which departments have been called up to service and which ones are on the list to be called up...I mean our department has a slim to none chance of going but I am wondering for current and future sake.

I have been watching this storm all day, well when I wasn't at work, scary, very scary to imagine what it would do for NO, and more importantly what it might spell for us, if you look at the projected storm path, it passes right over portage county ohio...not much wind but the rain, which I am not looking forward to. I can't imagine how its going to be in NO...I shudder at the thought of it, a whole city underwater...best of luck and may god bless all who will work, or return to, this mess...stay safe to all who respond to this time of dire need.

P.S. To the gentleman who is organizing a group to go down there...I admire your willingness to help...I would too if my chain of command calls upon me to do so...I just worry that too many cooks in the kitchen could ruin the soup (not to discredit your efforts, but FEMA has a system, if the system calls me I will go)
    This we do so others may live

Administrator

Folks

Work with your local and state emergency management agencies for any relief efforts. They will be working with FEMA. USAR Teams from several states are already being readied for deployment ... those will be the folks on the 'front lines' of rescue efforts in the hardest hit areas. Firehouse.com will post ANY information on 'outside' needs of emergency responders beyond the realm of your department going through the normal state and federal emergency management channels.

Please keep this thread on topic.

WebTeam

Thread Information