Forum Member

Thumbs up

Many thoughts and prayers from the Panhandle of Florida. We're with you guys in LA & MS as you were with us in Ivan.

Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers go our to all of the emergency responders, that will have to deal with Katrina. Be as safe as you can possibly be, we're all thinking of you!!
    Stay Safe!

Scott
    Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

Forum Member

Thoughts and prayers coming from Southeast Coastal Georgia...we know it could be us one day....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FB1138
    This may be a silly question, but where to emergency personnel go during the storm? Do you drive your apparatus away from the storm and come back when it over or do you ride it out? I've not been through anything like this.

I was just wondering exactly the same thing. They're predicting that the French Quarter will be as much as 20 feet underwater, surely they won't leave anything that can be moved.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish you guys luck and praying for you all.

With a storm liek this I don't know where responders would go . You can't respond in winds over 45 mph so there's really nothign you can do.

last year when 3 hurricanes hit right in a row and headed our way every district stayed at its own station did evacuations and hoped for the best. Wasn't that bad thank god I recorded the highest wind in my district was around 48 mph , lots of trees down and powerlines and lots of rain thats about all that happened to our county. many others further south than us were less fortunate.

If somethign of this magnetude3 were to hit opur area I'm not sure where first responders would go I'd liek to take a look and discuss plans designed for disasters liek this.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

I was also wondering where emergency personnel are going to be during the storm. The NOFD's headquarters is on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Certainly couldn't happen to a more vulnerable city. Can you imagine telling a half a million people to leave and leave now.

Another thing I noticed was that they didn't, at least that I saw, open the opposite lanes of Rt. 10 to help people escape.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cfdeng3
    I was also wondering where emergency personnel are going to be during the storm. The NOFD's headquarters is on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Certainly couldn't happen to a more vulnerable city. Can you imagine telling a half a million people to leave and leave now.

Another thing I noticed was that they didn't, at least that I saw, open the opposite lanes of Rt. 10 to help people escape.
    Yeah, i noticed the same thing and wondered about it. But I've seen a couple of clips since then that showed traffic in both lanes heading the same direction.

When I as involved in relief/rescue/recovery in Florida after Opel, Erin, and George I only once saw I-10 opened up both ways for people evacuating. But they did close off large sections of the incomming lanes on a couple highways to let emergency vehicles and crews travel freely. Nothing like doing 100+ on an interstate and passing a cop and having him wave to you. Good fun, I wish I'd been able to drive.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Administrator

Here's the latest on what the New Orleans Fire Department is doing to prepare and what they'll do once it hits:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=44283

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone involved from your brothers and sisters down here in FL. We know what you guys are gonna be going through, and we'll be praying.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

Forum Member

Good luck down there guys. The wife and I spend a wonderful weekend in New Orleans last year. I hate to think such a beutiful city could be destroyed.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Forum Member

Default Additional Contacts for ALL Gulf Shores and Surrounding Area Disaster Coordinators

ANY DEPARTMENTS WISHING TO SUPPORT RELIEF EFFORTS SHOULD WORK DIRECTLY WITH THEIR STATE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY AND/OR FEMA DIRECTLY.

WEBTEAM

Kudos to the Web team for making everyone aware that the hankering need to "help" needs to be through the correct FEMA supported branch, State or Local or Region coordinators. The other post is definitely correct. While someone in need does not care what name is on your FD uniform, it does need to be a coordinated and approved effort to avoid chaos.

Take care and stay safe.

GUY
    Last edited by FYRTRUCKGUY2; 08-29-2005 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Good Luck and Stick With the Orchestrated Plan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thoughts and prayers

My thoughts and prayers go out to the bothers down South. They're even calling for 1 - 5 inches of rain in Pittsburgh, the 5.7 from Ivan last year terrorized us for days. Reports said that some N.O. Fire Companies were already staging in high level parking garages and won't be able to respond until winds get back below 45 mph. I find it unbelievable that the gov't can't assist all these people out of New Orleans and put them the the dome, but we have all this money to be spending in other countries. My prayers go out to all of you.

Stick together. Stay safe.

RTB-FTM

Forum Member

Exclamation

From the plains of Nebraska good luck and godspeed to the brothers and sisters of my homestate. You, your families, and our great state will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Union, Justice, and Confidence
    ***The opinions and beliefs expressed above are mine and mine alone based on my education, training, and personal experiences. In no way do they reflect those of my employer(s), their affiliates, or any professional organizations that I belong to.***

Forum Member

I am wondering...just out of curiosity sake...where on the web can we find a site that would tell us which departments have been called up to service and which ones are on the list to be called up...I mean our department has a slim to none chance of going but I am wondering for current and future sake.

I have been watching this storm all day, well when I wasn't at work, scary, very scary to imagine what it would do for NO, and more importantly what it might spell for us, if you look at the projected storm path, it passes right over portage county ohio...not much wind but the rain, which I am not looking forward to. I can't imagine how its going to be in NO...I shudder at the thought of it, a whole city underwater...best of luck and may god bless all who will work, or return to, this mess...stay safe to all who respond to this time of dire need.

P.S. To the gentleman who is organizing a group to go down there...I admire your willingness to help...I would too if my chain of command calls upon me to do so...I just worry that too many cooks in the kitchen could ruin the soup (not to discredit your efforts, but FEMA has a system, if the system calls me I will go)
    This we do so others may live

Administrator

Folks

Work with your local and state emergency management agencies for any relief efforts. They will be working with FEMA. USAR Teams from several states are already being readied for deployment ... those will be the folks on the 'front lines' of rescue efforts in the hardest hit areas. Firehouse.com will post ANY information on 'outside' needs of emergency responders beyond the realm of your department going through the normal state and federal emergency management channels.

Please keep this thread on topic.

WebTeam

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Upside down land

Thoughts. best wishes--may you come out the other side OK--Mother Nature can be a cruel teacher--we get "nasties" like this sometimes but not of this magnitude.
    This storm is in physical dimension bigger than my country--be safe.

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers are with all who are in the path of Katrina, particularly those in New Orleans. It is one city that I've always wanted to visit and I'm praying that things will not come to be as bad as they say they will be.

May all the Brothers and Sisters down there be safe during this thing.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

To all those who will leave their families to ride this storm without your presence, may God be with you and your families. Thanks to the families who give up their heroes so they may help those who will not be able to help themselves. Best of luck to you and your families.

A special thought goes out to those working the boards! As you dispatch your resources may you have the endurance and tolerance of those in the field who have no clue just what you have been facing and will continue to deal with until the last person returns home! You are the backbone of emergency services, without you calm reassuring voice our job in the field becomes more complex. Remember that one day they will put a radio in the field with a “Shock button” on it, so you might zap those who don’t have a clue!

Godspeed to all!

Katrina
    South Dakota
    Last edited by KaTrinaTrainer; 08-29-2005 at 08:02 AM.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Been trying to watch the coverage on TV and keeping an eye on weather details on the TAMU weather page ( http://tinyurl.com/djg64 ) - KNEW seems to be stuck at 0553 CDT, and KGPT is not reporting at all.

Everybody hang tough and stay as dry as possible!
    --jay.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy God Bless and Godspeed!

Bulletin - EAS Activation Requested
    Tornado Warning
    National Weather Service New Orleans LA 836 AM CDT Mon Aug 29 2005

The National Weather Service In New Orleans Has Issued A

* Tornado Warning For Catastrophic Winds

* Until 900 AM CDT

* At 832 AM CDT...Many Reports Are Coming In Stating Total Structural Failure In The New Orleans Metro Area.

Seek Substantial Cover Now!!! This Is A Life-threatening Situation.

A Tornado Watch Remains In Effect Until Noon CDT Monday For Southeast Louisiana And Southern Mississippi.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I'm watching on CNN .... the worst of Katrina is hitting New Orleans now.

A massive piece of the Superdome roof has peeled away.

Thank goodness there has been no report of loss of life.

Hope they hang in there safely.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

I am watching on CNN now .... take care the thoughts and Prayers of the UK are with you.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our prayers are with you as katrina works her way north. We had been in the original path and it would have taken our fire house out We park our trucks in a nearby pasture when a hurricane comes our way
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

My sister had come up from NOLA last week for a visit to the parents in Memphis and was preparing to head back Saturday AM when the voluntary evacuations started.
    She immediately got on the phone calling friends and advising them that Memphis usually only gets the rain out portion of hurricanes and there is room up here at family homes.
    I hate working in heavy rain but have done so in the Navy(Hurricane Frederick-1985)and on the river when a hurricane made its way up the Mississippi in 95.
    I feel for those that have to deal with Katrina and the aftermath.Here's hoping that there isn't more loss of life(Fox reported earlier that a collapse building may have trapped people)

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Stay safe guys. Texas is ready to render aid if needed.

I heard the Saints are marching out.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information