MembersZone Subscriber

Stay safe everyone, this one sounds like it is really bad.

My wife works for Alabama's Department of Conservation. According to her, Mobile's getting slammed right now - one of their crews just made a rescue of a pregnant woman and five kids. During the grab, the crew literally saw their tow vehicle (Chevy Suburban) and boat trailer simply wash away.

If it is that bad in Mobile, I hate to think about Miss. and La.

Forum Member

To all in the path of this hurricane, take care and stay safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. To all of us that may need to respond to damage from this storm, stay safe out there.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Best of luck to everyone in Katrinas path, stay safe and healthy.
    While disasters bring out the best in us, it also brings out the worst. I just saw on the news, footage of about a dozen s(umbags looting damaged stores. These are the people that deserve to be injured,not the innocent.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Trying to watch on cnn (holy crappy coverage) - hope everyone stays safe - lots of reports of damage.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Thoughts and prayers go out to all in the Gulf Coast area.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by fireemt222
    I find it unbelievable that the gov't can't assist all these people out of New Orleans and put them the the dome, but we have all this money to be spending in other countries.

RTB-FTM
    They did put people in the Dome, nearly 30,000 of them. The Superdome was intended as a shelter of last resort....the entire city was under a mandatory evacuation. Some people who either did not have the means to get out of town or waited too late, did take shelter in the Dome (with National Guard troops on duty to prevent all the theft that took place last time they did it )

Regarding the one-way traffic on the Interstate....this was a plan called "Contraflow" which was devised a few years ago after a poorly executed hurricane evacuation (not nearly of the magnitude of this one). It has been used only once previously, with disappointing results. They worked out the bugs and by all accounts it worked surprisingly well this time. Contraflow was declared at 4:00 pm on Saturday and was in effect for 24 hours.

Well, it's been an interesting weekend, to say the least. Paincourtville Fire Department only responded to one hurricane-related incident, which was an MVA involving vehicles evacuating through our area (the evening before the storm). Interesting response in that we literally responded approx. 8 miles in the opposing lane due to bumper to bumper traffic at a standstill on Hwy. 1. Fortunately no serious injuries, as the traffic wasn't going fast enough for any real damage.

Myself, I rode out the storm at my parent's house, which is a bit sturdier than mine. Lost power about 0400 this morning, was still out when I left for work this evening. Assumption Parish appears to have gotten off with minimal damage, from what I observed, thanks to Katrina's last-minute shift to the east.

I'm actually glad to be back at work, because here is power, air conditioning, and TV, none of which we have at home at the moment.

New Orleans and surrounding suburbs fared badly, but not the cataclysm that was predicted. Widespread flooding due to storm surge, and there have been reports all day of victims on the roofs of their houses waiting for rescue (this in areas where mandatory evacucations were ordered). No casualty reports as of yet....there has been some chatter on the radio about bodies floating in New Orleans, but no confirmation on that....lots of people stranded in neighborhoods and homes, but no information beyond that. I saw news video of some homes burning that could not be reached due to the flooding.

The mayor of Kenner (a New Orleans suburb) reported that 100% of the homes in Kenner sustained some kind of damage.

Overall, most folks took the evacuation order very seriously. Paincourtville had very heavy traffic all day on Hwy. 1, Hwy. 308, and Hwy. 70, sometimes at a standstill. Most of our traffic was people evacuating from the coastal areas of Lafourche and Terrebone parishes...most of the New Orleans evacuees were on I-10.

Will keep you posted on casualty figures and the like when they come available.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Glad to hear you're OK, Dwayne.......... Good luck with everything down there and keep us posted!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Sr. Information Officer

We've only begun to see the horrors left behind by this storm. Incoming video from the areas affected is hard to watch. This disaster may be well beyond the scope of comprehension.

God bless all those affected...and those who come to their aid!

NJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Orleans levee breaks; mayor says 80% of city flooded

Katrina's death toll at 67; 1.3 million without power

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Rescuers worked through the night to reach hundreds of people stranded after Hurricane Katrina ripped across the Gulf Coast killing dozens of people, destroying countless homes and leaving more than a million people without power in three states.

And authorities said they would not be able to reach some of the hardest-hit areas until first light on Tuesday.

The storm is blamed for at least 67 deaths and that toll is almost certain to rise. Mississippi officials said at least 54 people were killed there, including 30 who were killed in an apartment complex near the Biloxi beach. Alabama reported two deaths. The storm killed 11 people last week when it made its initial landfall in Florida.

Read further @ http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/3...ina/index.html

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

The pictures (click on More Photos) make you count your blessings.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Default Katrina

Good Luck to all involved. Hope you make it all back back safe. You are in my thoughts.

Marc

MembersZone Subscriber

I begged my mother in law to get out of Gulfport. We spoke to her onsunday night, It is the last we have heard from her. Her and her Husband didnt want to go too far from home, I do hope this was not there last mistake. If there are any Gulfport Firefighters out there let us know how you all are doing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just heard that the death toll is up to 80 in Mississippi and the water was 26 feet up above RTE 90. Our thoughs and prayers are with everyone involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just an FYI...

First Responders Urged Not To Respond To Hurricane Impact Areas Unless Dispatched By State, Local Authorities

WASHINGTON, DC (August 29, 2005) -- Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response and head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), today urged all fire and emergency services departments not to respond to counties and states affected by Hurricane Katrina without being requested and lawfully dispatched by state and local authorities under mutual aid agreements and the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.

“The response to Hurricane Katrina must be well coordinated between federal, state and local officials to most effectively protect life and property,” Brown said. “We appreciate the willingness and generosity of our Nation’s first responders to deploy during disasters. But such efforts must be coordinated so that fire-rescue efforts are the most effective possible.”

The U.S. Fire Administration, part of FEMA, asks that fire and emergency services organizations remain in contact with their local and state emergency management agency officials for updates on requirements in the affected areas.

“It is critical that fire and emergency departments across the country remain in their jurisdictions until such time as the affected states request assistance,” said U.S. Fire Administrator R. David Paulison.

“State and local mutual aid agreements are in place as is the Emergency Management Assistance Compact and those mechanisms will be used to request and task resources needed in the affected areas.”

Paulison said the National Incident Management System is being used during the response to Hurricane Katrina and that self-dispatching volunteer assistance could significantly complicate the response and recovery effort.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have videos of it at all ?? I cant get the weather channel omnes to work for me even though i have the latest versions of all programs.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC
    First Responders Urged Not To Respond To Hurricane Impact Areas Unless Dispatched By State, Local Authorities

WASHINGTON, DC (August 29, 2005) -- Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response and head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), today urged all fire and emergency services departments not to respond to counties and states affected by Hurricane Katrina without being requested and lawfully dispatched by state and local authorities under mutual aid agreements and the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.

“The response to Hurricane Katrina must be well coordinated between federal, state and local officials to most effectively protect life and property,” Brown said. “We appreciate the willingness and generosity of our Nation’s first responders to deploy during disasters. But such efforts must be coordinated so that fire-rescue efforts are the most effective possible.”

The U.S. Fire Administration, part of FEMA, asks that fire and emergency services organizations remain in contact with their local and state emergency management agency officials for updates on requirements in the affected areas.

“It is critical that fire and emergency departments across the country remain in their jurisdictions until such time as the affected states request assistance,” said U.S. Fire Administrator R. David Paulison.

“State and local mutual aid agreements are in place as is the Emergency Management Assistance Compact and those mechanisms will be used to request and task resources needed in the affected areas.”

Paulison said the National Incident Management System is being used during the response to Hurricane Katrina and that self-dispatching volunteer assistance could significantly complicate the response and recovery effort.
    All the posts were deleted, but I hope someone on here is taking heed of this important notice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not responding is the hardest thing for most of us to do. Any of us with specialty training specifically well suited to this situation want to do all we can. I could be on the road with kit in about 2hrs time and get there late this evening, but we all also have other communities we need to ensure are protected. I have to agree. It has to be cordinated. Freelancing won't be doing anyone any favors. I am actually kinda please that they put out this notice so promptly, I just hope they have the plan in full action to call in those resources they need just as quickly.

I think early on we all thought everyone got off lucky, looks like we may have been a little to hopefull.

Keep Safe Boys, God Speed and God Bless
    [FONT=Garamond]Asst. Chief Chris Jennings

MembersZone Subscriber

I will be heading down with my buddy on September 13th I believe. He said the city should still be under water then...

He said we will probably still be recovering bodies..

MembersZone Subscriber

As I watch the news today, I can't help but think that this is a disaster, the likes of which we have never seen before. Especially in terms of the widespread nature of it and the utter devestation.

I also can't help but think how much this country needs God's love and mercy right now.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Thought I would log in real quick.........Not too bad in North Mississippi. Our county had about 200 trees across the roads last night and a lot of power out. Some parts of the county will not have power until Thursday. Mark (spearsm) had some damage to his house last night, have not talked to him since last night. Damage to structures was not widespread. This morning, out of of 6 radio stations on my presets, only 1 was on the air!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    Thought I would log in real quick.........Not too bad in North Mississippi. Our county had about 200 trees across the roads last night and a lot of power out. Some parts of the county will not have power until Thursday. Mark (spearsm) had some damage to his house last night, have not talked to him since last night. Damage to structures was not widespread. This morning, out of of 6 radio stations on my presets, only 1 was on the air!
    It is good to hear that you faired relatively well! And that you are OK.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The city is being Evacuated

Just saw on TV that looting is widespread in New Orleans and Biloxi(what a surprise) and many large fires have broken out and the FD is having water supply issues. And that they are calling for the complete evacuation of all persons left in NO as the city continue to floods.

Also this is another reminder of why removal of all fire alarm boxes from major urban areas should be reconsidered as Cell phone service is spotty at best and many areas are without any form of communication. I suppose they could use smoke signals to call the FD once their house catches fire.

Does anyone know if NOFD(or anyother FD around there) routinely carries Hard suction hose? I can't imagine they don't. But I've been wrong before.

Prayers for everyone involved in this mess.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looting Takes Place in View of La. Police

Looting Takes Place in View of La. Police

By ALLEN G. BREED
    Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- With much of the city flooded by Hurricane Katrina, looters floated garbage cans filled with clothing and jewelry down the street in a dash to grab what they could. In some cases, looting on Tuesday took place in full view of police and National Guard troops.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" - the radio code for police - and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewelry stores.

One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store.

"No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

Looters filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation as National Guard lumbered by.

Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said.

A man walked down Canal Street with a pallet of food on his head. His wife, who refused to give her name, insisted they weren't stealing from the nearby Winn-Dixie supermarket. "It's about survival right now," she said as she held a plastic bag full of purloined items. "We got to feed our children. I've got eight grandchildren to feed."

At a drug store on Canal Street just outside the French Quarter, two police officers with pump shotguns stood guard as workers from the Ritz-Carlton Hotel across the street loaded large laundry bins full of medications, snack foods and bottled water.

"This is for the sick," Officer Jeff Jacob said. "We can commandeer whatever we see fit, whatever is necessary to maintain law."

Another office, D.J. Butler, told the crowd standing around that they would be out of the way as soon as they got the necessities.

"I'm not saying you're welcome to it," the officer said. "This is the situation we're in. We have to make the best of it."

The looting was taking place in full view of passing National Guard trucks and police cruisers.

One man with an armload of clothes even asked a policeman, "can I borrow your car?"

Some in the crowd splashed into the waist-deep water like giddy children at the beach.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be

How is it the juvenile perps in New Orleans can understand 10-codes but some in the fire service can't figure them out!??!?! LMAO!

Thread Information