Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Folks have been asking how to help...

These people are going to need help for a long, long time after the rescue and recovery operation is over. The survivors not only saw their homes and possessions destroyed, their jobs and the local tax base washed away too.

Here's a link directly to the American Red Cross online donation page. You can also call 1-800-HELP-NOW. I just made a donation and I'm challenging everyone here to make one too.

This looks and sounds more and more like the Galveston hurricane . I really hope the death toll doesn't approach that storm but you've got to wonder what's going to be under all that water and debris.

One more thought. Anybody remember Cellblock? Wasn't he a FF/EMT just outside New Orleans?

Forum Member

Does anyone know who to contact to get down there to help either as a dept or a small crew of guys? as volunteers? or just sit and wait for a call?

Quote Originally Posted by nnjfire
    Does anyone know who to contact to get down there to help either as a dept or a small crew of guys? as volunteers? or just sit and wait for a call?
    Everything you need to know can be found at the American Red Cross website.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 08-31-2005 at 01:34 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Sit and wait, if they need help it will work it's way down. There are scores of fema and USAR teams on the way, plenty of military as well - as if they don't do enough for this country. Disaese is going to be rampant, sad as it is to say, structures will be heavily damaged. This is an area for experts with proper equipment. No cowboys need apply.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Nope.

Being in wet clothes for 48-72 hours is a health hazard. They showed people who had been w/o shoes who had been walking for days with the feet cut up and bleeding.

Seems to me they were doing their job.
    *sigh* ok George, you win...if you say they were doing their job, then so be it; it's not worth fighting about. My only parting comment would be to re-emphasize that I was not bashing cops in general, just two in particular who appeared to be engaged in mutt-like behavior.

Forum Member

The newsies haven't been showing many"You loot,We shoot"signs after this one.
    Wonder why it is that doing for yourself and protecting you and your neighbors is getting to be passe'.
    Two years ago when "Hurricane Elvis"hit Memphis,I went to visit my parents and hook up a 5kw generator so they could have some a/c and refrigeration.
    Some kids rode through the block and just after,a fire was noticed at the dead end of the street against the schoolground.
    After a neighbor and I put it out,we noth started walking the neighborhood and never saw a MPD unit until three days later,who promptly told us to put the pistols up.
    When the public services are overwhelmed,they shouldn't be deterring the citizens from backstopping them and making things more dangerous when the police aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Oh yeah one other thing....They are armed and prepared to keep any passing thugs moving along. I feel a tiny bit better that he was ok. I told him he was a dumbass for staying , but he is a Coast Guard veteran and I was fairly sure he would be alright.
    Last edited by doughesson; 08-31-2005 at 01:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    One more thought. Anybody remember Cellblock? Wasn't he a FF/EMT just outside New Orleans?
    He checked in on another thread somewhere. I believe his home fared reasonably well and he was headed off to work.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Just got word from my sister who owns a few houses down there but was in Memphis when it hit.One of her houses is history,no word on the others yet.She's doing her storm damage assessments from the TV set.She's not going down there until the police have things in hand,despite an offer of a pistol and a quick training session on use,cleaning,loading and rules of engagement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    despite an offer of a pistol and a quick training session on use,cleaning,loading and rules of engagement.
    Do I even have to state why this is a bad idea... 10 minutes of lessons is NOT going to keep anybody safe, I donít care what damn gun you have. You think most bad guys don't know how to use a gun. All that gun will do is instill a false sense of security. Donít take that as anti-gun, I am anything but, just pro-common sense. Anyways, I talk on gun forums about guns... not here, but I think your sister is making the right choice.

New reports from a Sheriff Officer where pretty bleak, in areas outside of New Orleans they had organized gangs raiding stores (jewelry stores etc), apparently they had snipers on the rooftops keeping law enforcement at bay
    Last edited by cjennings; 08-31-2005 at 02:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fox News is reporting that the Mayor of NO is reporting that the death toll in NO area will be in the hundreds and possibly the thousands. This is one of the most unbelievable things that I have ever seen.

I can't overstate the importance of praying for these people right now.

BTW: Isnt it amazing that there are literally thousands of US Citizens rushing to the area to rescue people that include these lawless pieces of garbage doing the looting?

Some Guy

They just said that the Walmart had all of their guns looted. They also said there are gangs of armed men roving the streets.
    It just get from bad to worse.
    This space for rent

From: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._katrina_dc_73
    Police said there were dozens of carjackings overnight, by desperate survivors trying to leave town or obtain supplies. Somebody fired at a rescue helicopter Tuesday night, forcing its crew to abandon efforts to evacuate patients from a hospital, a state official said.
    GD animals! Un-fricking believable.

Godspeed brothers.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RLFD14
    From: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._katrina_dc_73

GD animals! Un-fricking believable.

Godspeed brothers.
    I think that it is very important to remember that the criminal mobs are the minority. Most of the people are scared, hungry, thirsty and desperate. Also, they are mostly lower income folks. You or I can put a rental car or a hotel room on our VISA card. Many of those folks do not have the means to put food on the table every day. This is a terribly sad situation.

This is a perfect example of why it is so important for local jurisdictions to prepare for disasters. You cannot expect that the State and Federal governments will respond quickly. It will be anothrer 48 hours before there is a full federal complement on the ground there.

But I know one thing...the friggin' Coast Guard is the most underrated, most taken for granted branch of the military (I know, they're under DHS).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How can we help

Several of our members are wanting to know if you need their assistance. We can be there if requested. What supplies do you need, contact Captian Fitzgerald, Riceboro Volunteer Fire & Rescue, rangerfitz@firehousezone.com or call 912-884-2830

Arrow Four replies for the price of one.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    I am reading a book called "Rising Tide"about the flood of 1927 and the levees in St Bernard and Plaqueminne Parishes that were dynamited to ease the pressure on the levees around New Orleans are the same ones that failed and flooded out again.
    Actually, the big leak on the canals is not from a failed levee -- it's from a failed flood wall. There is a difference. It's important to note that the levees holding back the Mississippi River (which is higher than the lake) are still holding.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Paramedics in the District are using sport utility vehicles and Ford Crown Victorias to respond to medical emergencies because of a shortage of ambulances in the city's fleet.
    Did I miss something? Why are we talking about Washington, DC medics in a thread about a hurricane on the Gulf Coast?

Quote Originally Posted by rangerfitz
    Several of our members are wanting to know if you need their assistance. We can be there if requested. What supplies do you need, contact Captian Fitzgerald, Riceboro Volunteer Fire & Rescue, rangerfitz@firehousezone.com or call 912-884-2830
    Contact your state OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikehole25
    The most important thing is what can we do to help and how can we respond, I have several firefigthers and emt's wanting to help, we can leave Iowa at a moments notice. If you know who to contact let us know, we will be in route. Email me if you can.
    Contact your state OEM.

Just got a call from my son telling me he has been called to active duty. Four Tennessee MP units plus battalion headquarters have been activated and will be heading to somewhere on the gulf coast by Saturday.
    He was supposed to be back from Bulgaria Sunday. He got to spend his 2 week summer Guard training doing a joint NATO training exercise with Bulgarian MPs. They have had plane troubles with their C5 and have been delayed for several days. They are supposed to arrive in Nashville tomorrow and it sounds like he will have about a day to get ready before heading further south.

I think that it is very important to remember that the criminal mobs are the minority.
    I hear you, George. But I am still aghast at someone who shoots at a rescue helicopter. I can't even grasp the motivation or meaning behind that. Vulnerable people trying to help even more vulnerable people, risking it all, and then getting shot at on top of that? There's a few bad apples making the whole of NO look very bad to the point of incomprehension.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

My wife is in the army here at FT. Hood and I know she is getting things ready to go as they are sending help and supplies to the disaster area as well. Not sure if she is going too or not yet. Good luck and Gods speed to all.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerfitz
    Nobody is going to call you.

If you're serious about helping, contact the American Red Cross. They need both donations and volunteers.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

I can't overstate the importance of praying for these people right now.
    Yes, that is so, so true.

Isnt it amazing that there are literally thousands of US Citizens rushing to the area to rescue people that include these lawless pieces of garbage doing the looting?
    I think that's what makes the US so great. When that ISN'T the norm is when we will fail as a nation.

As far as the 'armed gangs of looters', another armed gang is arriving in that area too - it is called the United States Army. Just a couple of anarchists (good description, dmleblanc) discouraged by 5.56mm NATO rounds will have an amazingly calming influence BUT don't lump everyone in as a lawless thug. People will do whatever the must to survive and many of these people have been without food, shelter, clothing, and water for two days now. You and I would resort to drastic measures too. Here's a link to a story out of Biloxi, MS that demonstrates that point. I didn't include the whole story, but here's the relevant text:
    "We've had widespread looting," he added.
    He said even the police and fire department had raided a grocery store for supplies as emergency teams worked triple shifts to hunt for survivors.
    "We're essentially looting ourselves but we're keeping track of it."
    Keep in mind, they're doing this in Biloxi, which is much more accessible than New Orleans. Many of these people (like the rest of us) have never, ever faced a situation where help simply wasn't available and they're doing what they feel they must to survive.

Thread Information