Forum Member

Default New Orleans and Katrina...

...Want to offer wishes for safety and perserverance for the members of New Orleans Fire and IAFF Local 632 as Katraina approaches...I'm sure I speak for many on the forums when I say that we'll keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers...

Be safe.
    PTB-EGH.
    Remember KQJ943

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Second that and add....

My thoughts and best wishes go out to all those in the path of Katrina, bothers and civilians alike.. With Katrina now a Cat 5 with sustained winds of 160 mph and gusts up to 195.. and the pressure is still dropping, this has the potential to be one of the worst hurricane's yet. After living through 'Andrew' (escaped to Wisconsin) I can truly feel for what these people will go through.

I really hope people heed the warnings and leave where possible.. Again best of wishes to all in the path of Katrina.

MembersZone Subscriber

The people from New Orleans are my thoughts and prayers. To the first responders, be as safe as you possibly can. Hopefully, this thing will not be as bad as predicted.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by kentbwj
    The people from New Orleans are my thoughts and prayers. To the first responders, be as safe as you possibly can. Hopefully, this thing will not be as bad as predicted.
    same thoughts and prayers
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Disillusioned Subscriber

They are definitely in our thoughts and prayers.

The devastation of this thing could be greatly enhanced with New Orleans being something like 8 feet below sea level. That has got to make things exponentially worse during the storm and the clean up as well. They're going to have their hands full.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been watching the news all morning, getting a little worried the more I watch. I have family in Gulfport Ms that are starting to bail out and head inland. Problem with these storms is they are not sure of exact landfall and how strong. Last report I just heard had winds of 175 sustained, gust of 213 recorded!!

When I was stationed in Gulfport I remember visiting New Orleans when a quick passing rain storm hit, dumping close to 2 inches in a short time....All the roads had major water on them.

I wish all well as the storm nears, stay safe...Please!!

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers are out to everyone in the path of this monster.

A Mandatory evacualtion of 7 parishes has been ordered. Winds are now SUSTAINED at 175MPH, gusts 200+.Storm SUrge 20ft+ It's expected to be unprecedented in scope.

Be Safe Guys.

Rob

Forum Member

Also, I wish to express my concern as this storm makes landfall. Prayers go out to everyone involved. I know you have prepared and trained for the "big one" now it looks like it may be here. Use your training and stay safe.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Current calculations, based on Katrina's rainfall and storm surge overunning the levee system has the French Quarter under 15-19 feet of water, and other parts of the city 8-14 feet. Estimate will be it will take aleast 6 weeks to pump out the water, and could be as long as 2 months. This will be devastating ... there is a mandaoty evacuation order in place but there will be some people in shelters in the city.

Problem is the entire lower 1/3 of the state is also very close to sea level so the devestation will extend far beyond the big easy.

Forum Member

To the Brothers down south HANG TOUGH and STEP UP
    Last edited by MattyJ; 08-28-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Forum Member

My prayers are for you, stand strong fire/ems/police.

Forum Member

They are predicting that she will maintain Hurricane strength on well up into Mississippi. They have just announced that our County (Lowndes) is under an Inland Hurricane Watch. (Since we are in North Central Mississippi, I shudder thinking about how harse it is going to be on the coast especially around N.O.) As if the Hurricane would not be enough, the HellSpawns that will come from the rotation will complicate the matter even more.
    To the guys and gals on/near the coast....we're praying, brother/sisters, we're praying.....
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll add my best wishes to all in the path to stay safe and be careful.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

National Weather Service just updated - now full category 5. Statement literally stated near complete devestation for New Orleans - even stated they expect high rise buildings to topple.

Godspeed to all. This isn't good.

Forum Member

Stay safe!!! I was just watching and saw that they are filling the football dome with people. Are they evacuating all the emergency workers also? I would not want to be on duty in that stuff.

It is just amazing how it takes 200+ years to build a city and just a few hours to destroy it.

How far will this huricane make it up into the mainland? Someone that came into my store today said that parts of arkansas, missouri, kansas, and the kentucky area are going to get the reminents of the huricane.

I hate to say it, I dont think that new orleans is going to survive.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by spearsm
    They are predicting that she will maintain Hurricane strength on well up into Mississippi. They have just announced that our County (Lowndes) is under an Inland Hurricane Watch. (Since we are in North Central Mississippi, I shudder thinking about how harse it is going to be on the coast especially around N.O.) As if the Hurricane would not be enough, the HellSpawns that will come from the rotation will complicate the matter even more.
    To the guys and gals on/near the coast....we're praying, brother/sisters, we're praying.....
    Are HellSpawns tornadoes?

Forum Member

I have talked to quite a few of my friends from Baton Rouge to Mobile. This is going to be a real doozy. Most of the people I know have evacuated. I do have a friend that lives in Metairie and is going to ride her out. I told him he was nuts but that I would be keeping my fingers crossed. Its going to be quite a test of the Gulf Coasts emergency responders. Be safe all.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by kentbwj
    Are HellSpawns tornadoes?

To answer for my buddy Mark, Yes they are!

Everyone please stay safe..........

Thoughts and prayers for everyone who will be effected by this storm!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Good Luck and Be safe. I thoughts are also with your families while you are at work. Everyone goes home to them.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Good luck to all of those in the patch of this mighty Wench!!!

You are all in our thoughts and prayers
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Stay Safe Brothers and Sisters !
    I hope you can ride this out without to much damage.

Stay Safe
    Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    How far will this huricane make it up into the mainland? Someone that came into my store today said that parts of arkansas, missouri, kansas, and the kentucky area are going to get the reminents of the huricane.(
    They are forecasting 4 to 8 inches of rain here in Northwest Ohio Tuesday night through Wed from the remnants:

Katrina Forecasted Path
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

If this storm is as strong as feared.The responders in the area will need all our prayer's.Your training will guide you throughout this event!God Bless!

Hang tough and be safe!
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

This may be a silly question, but where to emergency personnel go during the storm? Do you drive your apparatus away from the storm and come back when it over or do you ride it out? I've not been through anything like this.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

All of you in Katrina's path are in my thoughts as well .... STAY SAFE!!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information