Thread: Question????

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question????

We just recently received a grant for around $40,000. Our chief has opted for the cheapest turn out gear on the market in hopes that he will have some money left over so he can use it on his precious radios. I was under the impression that every dollar has to be accounted for. Doesn't all the money have to be used for those things specifically asked for in the grant request. Any feedback is welcome.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the grant was written for turnout gear, he better be buying turnout gear with the money. If there is less than 5% money left over, I believe you can use it on other items as long as it fits in with your grants program.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

And then you can only use $5K of it. I doubt he'll be doing much radio purchasing with that amount. Also, yes, you have to purchase every item listed in the application. Now changing PPE brands is not a problem, if someone else comes in less expensive for a comparable item.

One thing to watch for though: if you put PBI blend PPE in the application, you can't buy Nomex gear. It doesn't matter whose PBI blend you buy (Quaker Safety, FireDex, etc, etc) it just has to be PBI. If it wasn't specified, then no problem going between types.

But last time I checked a radio didn't put a fire out, a well-equipped FF did. I'd have a slight problem with someone buying 'cheap' (meaning bad & unsafe) PPE for me. I may not agree with everything our Chief does, but there is no skimping on PPE at all, we buy the best stuff we can find.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is pretty much how the membership feels too BC. We have gone for so long with rag-tag turn out gear we feel it's high time we get some quality turn out gear that will last. I am not very knowledgeable about the whole grant process so thank you for your input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spurs,
    One thing discussed in other threads and commonly known and mentioned in the guidelines your Chief may not know...anything OVER the 5K HAS to be spent on FIRE PREVENTION. So, he may have a little rude awakening coming. BIG HUGE difference in getting coloring books and hats for the kids and a new radio for himself and safe TOs for ya'll. Best of luck! I also hope he got his 2-3 bids (for his sake...)

Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

MembersZone Subscriber

One question...because turnout gear and radios are seperate activities, can you by rule use excess funds on the radios?

One thought...the PPE must be NFPA compliant per the guidelines, and we learned last year that the highest price doesn't mean the best quality.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you can show need, and it's an eligible item, then you can apply for an amendment to buy radios since they are part of Ops & Safety. Lots of stuff has been bought on amendments, so I don't see it being a problem. But that's their say not mine.

amery is right, expensive and NFPA compliant are 2 different animals, and the PPE has to be compliant. But between Nomex and PBI, I'll take older PBI over new Nomex any day of the week in a fire.

Forum Member

Not to be a hard nose, but I would remind the chief if he is gambling with the saftey of the firefighters with cheap clothing, that YOU and YOU ALONE authorize the ODP to deposit funds. He might think twice about going cheap.
    Again, not to pull rank or cause trouble....
    BAClair

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spurs716
    We just recently received a grant for around $40,000. Our chief has opted for the cheapest turn out gear on the market in hopes that he will have some money left over so he can use it on his precious radios. I was under the impression that every dollar has to be accounted for. Doesn't all the money have to be used for those things specifically asked for in the grant request. Any feedback is welcome.
    i would tell him to take over the grant admistration and grant management because looks to me he is only for himself and not his fireman. Then that way if he messes up then its all on him and no one else!!!

Thread Information