Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Premonitions?

MembersZone Subscriber CowboyUpEMS245's Avatar

Question Premonitions?

I really don't know where to put this, but oh well. Anyways, just to tell you a little bit about myself, I'm 16 and I'm the Cadet Captain at Benson EMS (Johnston County, NC). I've been working rescue for about one and a half years now and I've loved every minute of it. Anyways, my question is... has anyone else had "premonitions" as to when the your pager will go off? I know it's a stupid question, but I had it happen to me last night.

I was runnin' 48, and I'd been on for over 24... it was about 3am. We had got back from a call about 30 minutes before this happened, but anyways. Long story short, I was layin' in bed, fast asleep, and I just woke up. I don't know why, but all of a sudden, I rolled over, wide awake, and looked at my radio, and..... I rolled outta bed right when the Federal Signal alarm box went off and started gettin' dressed. It ended up bein a stabbin' down in the projects. Transported code 3. But yeah, my point is, has anybody else had this happen to them? Stupid question, but I'm sure I'll get some replys. Thanks guys.

John Mullen
    Cadet Captain
    BENSON EMS-STAT. 1
    (919)616-5954

Forum Member

Yes, actually. It happens all the time, although it didn't when I first started. I guess after 6 years in the business, my body's reprogrammed itself to recieve my station's tones. *shrugs*
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I used to wake up before the firephone would ring. Haven't had anything close like that in awhile.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

There are times when I have"this feeling"that we're about to get toned out for a call.
    We aren't allowed to talk about it when at the station because that makes the dispatcher wake up or put down their cards and remember that they haven't toned anyone out for a while.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Yep, I think a majority of us have had that 'feeling' on more than one occasion. On weekends in particular there were times when I'd stay home or near home, just 'cuz the day didnt feel right' and all too often, BEEEPP BEEEEPPP BEEEEP.

"Sorry honey.. Gotta run!"

Its even worse when you're stuck in the office and you get that feeling - Then you do hear the tones drop and ya can't go. That just plain SUCKS.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

One of my old jobs has a security tape of me begging a female manager for permission to leave ten minutes early and respond to a call just around the corner from the store.
    Looking back,all I can do is quote Uncle Jed and say"Pitiful,just pitiful,boy."
    The only thing that would be similar is if we was married and I was asking for.....

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Its even worse when you're stuck in the office and you get that feeling - Then you do hear the tones drop and ya can't go. That just plain SUCKS.

MembersZone Subscriber

it has happened to me on the dispatch side but never when i was able to respond. the duty crews still gets very nervous when, at 0-dark-30 i say "i'll talk to you in 2 hours" because it has happened many times.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Thread Information