Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gear

MembersZone Subscriber

Default gear

Hi, I'm hoping someone could explain this to me. Recently, I was going to attend an explorer's weekend. But my gear was ( I believe ) in very bad condition. I asked the department supply person if I could get better gear. He told me that by all rights, Explorers are only supposed to have 3/4 boots and coat as turnout gear(along w/ the basics). Is this just for the post or through the entire program?

Forum Member

Do they limit you as to what an Explorer can do on a fireground,if y'all are allowed on one?
    It might be a situation where they reserve the good stuff for the firefighters who are actually legally qualified to work on a fireground and use the older gear for the Explorers to get them used to wearing the stuff.
    Remember that.ALWAYS wear all parts of the gear,even if it's "just"a reported yard fire.It can spread to the house and then you have a structural fire and no one's in full turnout gear ready to deal with that.

There is no BSA standard for fire department PPE. You should be equiped for whatever task you are undertaking. If you are on a scene, that means PPE. A big old long coat and 3/4 boots are pretty normal for explorers. Withing the last two years, we got our explorers into regular gear which was a nice upgrade for them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default functions

As for my explorer post, We can't go near a training (never mind a real )fire, I've never been "on" air, and in the 1 year since i've been there, we've had a total of around 4 meetings. Mind you, we're supposed to have one the first thursday of every month . As for the training fire , I was supposed to be on a hoseline at a training fire on a car. I was gonna be on air, handling the hose, and at the last second the chief pulls me out , even though I'm gonna be like the sixth guy on the line , around 30 feet away from the car. I'm sorry this turned into a form of ranting, but the situation got me really PO'd.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireStarter8990
    As for my explorer post, We can't go near a training (never mind a real )fire, I've never been "on" air, and in the 1 year since i've been there, we've had a total of around 4 meetings. Mind you, we're supposed to have one the first thursday of every month . As for the training fire , I was supposed to be on a hoseline at a training fire on a car. I was gonna be on air, handling the hose, and at the last second the chief pulls me out , even though I'm gonna be like the sixth guy on the line , around 30 feet away from the car. I'm sorry this turned into a form of ranting, but the situation got me really PO'd.

As far as the gear goes, it seems to be resonable for the amount of activity you do.

You should approach whoever is in charge of the post and remind them about the meetings once a month. How many people are in your post?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default people

In my post, altogether we have around 6 people, and 5 of them are also Junior firefighters. All of the 5 (except for one) have brand spankin' new globe turnout gear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireStarter8990
    In my post, altogether we have around 6 people, and 5 of them are also Junior firefighters. All of the 5 (except for one) have brand spankin' new globe turnout gear.
    Is there a reason you got the shaft?

MembersZone Subscriber

I got the shaft, but my friend is getting new gear because he just joined the department.
    Last edited by FireStarter8990; 08-30-2005 at 07:10 PM.

I know that our post had 3/4's and long coats back in the day, but we got donations of gear and equipment from various sources and wore that until recently when they got new gear and we got the dept's 5 year old Morning Pride FDNY style gear to use. We are allowed to use 3/4's in some of our competitions, though no one has, I am always too lazy to go dig my Dad's out of the crawlspace.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information