Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4 boots

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 3/4 boots

Hi,

I have a question. Does anyone know if Chicago FD still uses 3/4 boots?
    If so, do they use them in interior operations. I know this sounds kind of dumb but my fellows at the firehouse were telling me that Chicago and Boston can't use 3/4 boots because they're not allowed by the NFPA. I told one guy that chicago still uses them ( because that's what I genuinely believed) and he proceeded to call me an ********* and told me just to shut the hell up. Was I right in my assumptions?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Why don't you try doing a search.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for reminding me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireStarter8990
    Hi,

If so, do they use them in interior operations. I know this sounds kind of dumb but my fellows at the firehouse were telling me that Chicago and Boston can't use 3/4 boots because they're not allowed by the NFPA. I told one guy that chicago still uses them ( because that's what I genuinely believed) and he proceeded to call me an ********* and told me just to shut the hell up. Was I right in my assumptions?
    I can't speak for Boston, but we still use 3/4 boots. And yes we use them for interior attack as they are the only ppe we have. So tell your guy that he's the a**hole because NFPA just makes suggestions - not rules, and no one is forced to comply with their suggestions. Your Dept. could switch back to boots if you wanted.

Hi,

Nice username....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77
    Nice username....

So that is what you get from a Junior/Explorer. Bad user name, But, He probably has started a few to get to see some action!!!!!! :-(
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default the post

Allineedisu,
    I know you might have been joking , but i take offense at the suggestion that i could be an arsonist. Frankly, I believe anyone who would start a fire just "to get some action" is a complete idiot. Just to get some experience under your belt is no reason to cause loss of property and/or worse, loss of life. Please, for future threads or posts I put up, please disregard the username and just read the post/thread and reply or leave the thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also have the choice to use them in Boston.

MembersZone Subscriber

Allineedisu,
    Please, for future threads or posts I put up, please disregard the username and just read the post/thread and reply or leave the thread.
    Or you could change your name to something that doesn't cause controversy every time you post.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

All I can say to the above on user name is "AMEN".

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Exclamation

I was stating what I perceived with a screen name like firestarter! I am sorry if it offended you. If that offended you, then you have plenty more during your life time.

Take it like it is.

I sure as heck would not have picked that name; even it was the last one I could have used. I really believe that I would change it before I get too much more ribbing.

I think it indicates of an oxymoron using that name!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Allineedisu,
    I know you might have been joking , but i take offense at the suggestion that i could be an arsonist. Frankly, I believe anyone who would start a fire just "to get some action" is a complete idiot. Just to get some experience under your belt is no reason to cause loss of property and/or worse, loss of life. Please, for future threads or posts I put up, please disregard the username and just read the post/thread and reply or leave the thread.
    Why not change the username? The name firestarter on a firemans website may not be the most prudent thing. Just a friendly suggestion.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

And I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time he's heard this about his username, either..... You'd think he would get a clue..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Please!

PLEASE stop talking about the username. Yes, I know it was a stupid choice, but I guess I like it as an oxymoron. Also, My registration for this site is going stop pretty soon, so I'm gonna re-register as PeteySt1.Unless it is already taken. Just put up with it until sometime around november. I already put up with this crap in my insanely stupid, don't-know-what-I-was-thinking-Whacker thread. If you would like to search for it, it is entitled "Whacker". It was a joke thread that was destined for failure the minute I put it up. Now, if you're thinking about posting in this thread, read the actual title of the thread and comment on my situation. Otherwise, as momma always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

Junior... please grow up.

Just remember..for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjake1240
    We also have the choice to use them in Boston.
    Didn't you guys go to bunker gear then switch to giving guys the option? If that is what happened, I'd be interested in hearing the reason for the switch back. Thanks

Forum Member

Firestarter:
    Don't sweat the stuff about the screen name-there's probably worse out there. Hey I see you are from Maybrook, thats Orange County right? Many,many years ago mid -late 1970's I was a volunteer with Woodbury Fire Dept (Highland Mills). If my failing memory serves me correct I remember sending our Tanker at times on mutual aid to Maybrook. Am I correct?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I can't speak for Boston, but we still use 3/4 boots. And yes we use them for interior attack as they are the only ppe we have. So tell your guy that he's the a**hole because NFPA just makes suggestions - not rules, and no one is forced to comply with their suggestions. Your Dept. could switch back to boots if you wanted.
    Even though NFPA is a recommendation, we are not allowed to use 3/4's. Our state has mandated their use (since the early 80's) for all paid departments in the state. They conduct annual inspections and will issue citations if 3/4's are found in use for suppression personnel. I would like to be given the choice in some situations. Not to say it is right, but it is a rule that we must follow.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes Wag11C, it's Orange county. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know the answer to your question. I doubt it, because on a good day with light traffic, it still takes 30-40 minutes to get from Maybrook to Woodbury/Highland Mills .

MembersZone Subscriber

Something I have been curious about regarding the Boston situation as it appplies to 3/4 boots. I have read the document detailing their usage, when you can and can't, and all that. It was obviously very involved. What I am wondering about is this. And maybe I missed it, I don't know. Before BFD went to a bunker ensemble, they wore the longer coats, like Chicago still wears. The coats that went down to like 1/2 way down the thighs. When the boots were pulled up, they were supposed to come up to just under the bottom of the coat. Not the ideal protective envelope, but effective and pretty pratical for a few decades or so. Now, BFD goes to bunker gear, presumably with shorter coats, the ones that go down to oh, the back of your rear end, and thats it. They are designed to be worn in conjunction with bunker pants, which protect the lower half of the body. BFD, correct me if I am wrong. Now after a while you are allowed to again use 3/4 boots. Im guessing that they did away with all the long coats when the new gear went out. What I want to know is, do you wear the bunker gear, shorter style coat with the 3/4's, or did they re-issue long style coats? And if you do, dosen't that leave quite a gap on the top half of your legs? I would think that you would get wet or worse with a lot more frequency wearing a short coat with 3/4 boots. Let me qualify this post by stating that I neither advocate nor condemn what any department provides or allows for it's members usage, because as long as it works in that particular department for that department's members, then who am I to say boo. Boston Jake, can you enlighten me?

P.S. If we were allowed to use a long coat-3/4 boot combination during the summer, I would wear that in a second, but that's just me.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Thread Information