Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What are the chances??

Was just wondering what are the chances of being called within a year? I applied, and wasn't selected but was told my application would be on file for a year. Does anyone know the chances of being called back? Im new to the fire service so don't know what to expect. Also been sending applications anywhere I can, hadn't heard very much back, but I sent them in a few weeks ago. Any advice would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by ffman02
    Was just wondering what are the chances of being called within a year? I applied, and wasn't selected but was told my application would be on file for a year. Does anyone know the chances of being called back? Im new to the fire service so don't know what to expect. Also been sending applications anywhere I can, hadn't heard very much back, but I sent them in a few weeks ago. Any advice would be great.

I would guess it would be on where you have applied and how big the department is that you are on the list. They may not hired but a few ( maybe 10 - 20) people during the life of the list.

Have you applied in a large department, where the turn over is greater and the hiring is more than the small department where only 2 or 4 people are hired every year.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the response. Yes, its a pretty small town. Chief said he was interviewing like 30 people for 6 or 7 positions so not sure what to expect? If I will get called back or just move on? Yes, I definetly put apps in so far to some of the bigger cities, hadn't heard anything yet but just sent them out about 2 or 3 weeks ago. What do you think?

Forum Member

Default Learn How to Take an Interview

Getting hired is a process. The more tests you take the better you get at taking tests. So, when the department comes along you really want to work for you are ahead of the curve.

The real secret is learning how to take a FIREFIGHTER INTERVIEW! It verifies this recent e-mail from a candidate who did:

It worked I scored a 90 and have a background scheduled with LA City.

As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support your statement. As I watched the recording of my score (reading upside down) I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior to mine. Again the methods you teach do work. Thanks again for your help Rich

Youíve spent time, money and put your life on hold to gain the necessary education and experience to become a firefighter. Your oral board will determine the future. Itís game day. You have around 20 minutes to stun the oral board into giving you the opportunity to ride big red.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default rjman

Actually, most cities put more of the final score percentage on the written exam.What helped me was taking alot of practice exams. Also, before applying to each FD, call the city HR/personel depts to find out a estimate number of firefighters they plan on hiring from the list. If its only 5-10, then don't waste your time. As you get your creditentials,(EMT,MEDIC,FIRE SCIENCE,FIREFIGHTER I,II), apply to only FD's that require some of those. Nothing more discouraging than taking a written exam with a auditoriom filled with 1500 people competing for only 10 positions. Thats how Phoenix FD was! I applied to Phoenix FD 3 times, only to be finally hired in MI fulltime. Each time I applied was at least 3 visits-about $1200 spent for 1 application only.-with flying and a place to stay!12 years of virtually applying everywhere! I think the biggest strike against me was simply not being a Arizona resident. Its discouraging and even unfair at times, but be persistant. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

That sounds pretty rough, rjman. Im hoping not to get caught in a position like that. I have applied pretty much everywhere I can in GA, heard little to nothing. I put in app a while ago to Fairfax, VA FD, and just got a letter the other day about their written test, but like you said, I'd hate to go to test with 2000 people for like 10 positions, so if you know anything about the test and number of applicants for a city like Fairfax, let me know. Im probably going to go attend a fire academy in Florida, to get my certs down there, and probably work, I hear a lot of cities are hiring so Im sure there will be something down there, or hopefully still when i graduate.

MembersZone Subscriber

I couldnt tell you regarding any other city FD. I work for a ARFF FD now, which is pretty outstanding for me. We still run ALS rescue, in addition stuctural/ARFF calls. More involved than I ever imagined. Been here for 2 years, and I am tired of spending, moving, and waiting!It was worth it. I mulled over the Iraq job as well, but after the interview-I decided to stay.It wasn't worth it for me,and the my Chief wouldn't give me a leave of absence anyways. If I didn't like the job, and I come back-I would be starting from scratch-AGAIN!$90 grand is alot of money, but that was the only reason I would be over there for, and thats not the right reasons for me. Did you look at that, by chance? So, I don't keep an eye on FD's hiring anymore.
    The best thing to do is to call either the FD HR department, or city hall HResources/personel dept, and ask them how many open positions they anticipate. Some FDs just test without anticipating any hiring because their list has expired. Good luck!

Thread Information