Forum Member

Default Trident air primers

Has anyone used the pump primers from Trident Emergency Products? I guess they work off of the truck engine compressor and work as a jet pump.
    I'm just curious on how good they work and how reliable they are. Here is the link to the vendor website.

http://www.tridentdirect.com/new_pa2.jpg

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Question Exhaust primer varient??

Just at a glance, it sure looks like a updated version of the old style exhaust primers, which usually worked ok as long as you kept a good gasket on them.

Where are we all going, and why are we in this handbasket??

Forum Member

Default trident primers

do a search on www.naevt.org and www.evta.info for discussions on this subject. i believe the naevt site had alot of talk.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Trident Air Primer

I have two (2) of these units on my current engine and tender, and one specified on the engine I have on order. I would not go back to the electric.
    Quiet and very reliable.

Forum Member

firetruck917 - we also are interested in the air primer - can you provide more info.. In talking with the Trident company they state they will work great a low to mid lift but at a high lift they can slow down what is your experience? Also are you getting the air only from the chassis compressor or do you have a aux air compressor? We have CAFS and had considered running it off the big compressor. Any trouble with moisture in the air feeds to the primers freezing? I would like nothing more then to ditch our electrics and go air but have some concerns - Also who built you truck and was it easy from a builderís point of view to work the system in?

Thanks
    SBLGFD
    www.sblgfd.com

Forum Member

Default Air Primer

We have used this primer in both mid and in very high lift applications. The air primer primed our 1500 GPM pump faster than the electric primer we removed from this truck.

It uses air from the chassis air brake system. We typically run the truck at approximately 1000 rpm to insure enough air compressor output to supply the primer.

Overall a great product, would never go back to the electric.

My department is in Wisconsin, and we have never had an issue with any moisture freezing. The air for the primer is coming after the air brake dryer on the air system, so I wouldn't think you should get any moisture in the sir lines.

We retrofitted an ALF with the air primer after the electric failed for the second time. Pierce built the tender and is currently building the Pumper. I have been hearing very good things from Pierce on this product.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's been a year since the last post - Does anyone have some updates on how the Air Prime is working?

How much does it cost to purchase (and install) ?

Attn: SLBGFD - Did you ever tie it into your CAFS system?

The latest web site is www.tridentdirect.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up Update

We received our new unit in July and to date have been very happy with the Tridents. Ours is a single primer with four draft points (Impeller - left rear, right rear and front). During the delivery phase we drafted from our front suction using 20+ feet of hose plus 30+ feet of truck with about 8+ feet of lift - took a while but it did the job - no burned out motors.

No we did not hook it to our CAFS _ just off the chassis air system - no issues to date - we considered it but Trident felt we had enough air - we had considered running off both CAFS and Chassis but I have some concerns with potential cross contamination of oils.

There is a unit being built with multiple primers running off the CAFS compressor - done around the first of the year ( ? ), I think we can probably do some comparisons with that one verses ours to see if there is a improvement.

Overall very happy and at this point donít think we would ever go back to electric - But I will try to post back if we have any issues.

SBLGFD

Forum Member

I thought I had heard of these units getting clogged by bits of bark floating in the pond, etc. but it definitely sounds like a good idea, no electric motor to catch fire, no moving parts, no oil slick....

Birken

Forum Member

Birken - Good point we have a "Y" strainer prior to our unit to catch any debris - but so far so good.

SBLGFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SBLGFD
    There is a unit being built with multiple primers running off the CAFS compressor - done around the first of the year ( ? )
    Hehe - I like the "first of the year *question mark*".

That's our unit, for any of you who were wondering. I am anxious to see how they work - we have two Trident air primers that will be running solely off of the CAFS compressor.

Chris, I think we'll need to swing through WI on the way home for a cousin unit photo op, as well as a primer race. How many extensions will we need to put on the ice auger to get to Lake Michigan in January?

Forum Member

We have plenty of extensions as well as a chain saw with a 36" bar that usually does the trick.

Photos would be good.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Environmentally Safe Priming Oil

Ok - FH won't let me start a new thread, so I am going to tack on to the closest one I could find...bear with me...

So obviously we have Trident's air primer, and Hale and Waterous both have oil-free primers. But who makes primers that use environmentally safe oil? What exactly does the Waterous PrimeSafe use, and who else makes systems like this? What is available for installation on Hale pumps?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzfireSolo
    But who makes primers that use environmentally safe oil? What exactly does the Waterous PrimeSafe use, and who else makes systems like this? What is available for installation on Hale pumps?
    Waterous PrimeSafe is a biodegradeable oil that can be used in any of their primers requiring oil. I believe that its basically vegetable oil and that Hale has a similar product. I understand that they're pretty much the same stuff and can be used interchangably.

At the Waterous Pump Mechanics' school they stressed very emphatically that if you use this stuff, you must operate the primer very regularly, preferably daily. Otherwise it will congeal and cause major problems.

Let me pass on to you a personal experience. Having been given to understand that the stuff is vegetable oil, I thought, "Why pay their price for it, I'll just go to the local supermarket and buy whatever vegetable oil's on sale." I did, and it worked O.K. for a while. It did take a little longer to pull a prime, but the difference was tolerable. But after about a year or so, our Waterous primer began to operate more and more slowly. And when I pulled the prime tank's dipstick there was this ugly looking goo on it.

To make a long story less long, I wound up disassembling and removing every part of the primer system. I had to cook out the tank, disassemble the pump and scrape the goo off of the vanes, replace all of the lines and rebuild the primer valve. It was a full day's work. And when it was done, I put good ol' SAE 30 back in.

Another incident that happened earlier and I didn't realize it at the time, but that may be the reason that the input shaft on our Hale's rotary gear primer broke. In that case, I bought a Hale dry primer to replace it. It works quite well.

Our new engine will have Waterous' dry primer.

I still think that PrimeSafe and cooking oil are pretty similar.

So if you're disposed to use the stuff, run your primers every day, religiously. And maybe our pump manufacturer's person who participates here occasionally will be good enough to offer his thoughts. NPFD, Birken, LVwrench and some others out there, how about your thoughts and/or experiences?

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's my take on options for environmentally sound primers.

The Trident, from what I've heard first hand from folks that have them - works well. I have one customer that has one and likes it enough to want it on a new rig they have on order. For us, the Trident is slightly more expensive than an electric oilless primer, but not terribly so.

Also - I've read that you could use environmentally safe antifreeze like Sierra in place of your conventional pump primer oil, and that way not create an oil slick. From Hale's web site:

What is Haleís recommended primer lubricant?
    Hale now recommends using a water/anti-freeze mixture in the primer oil tank. The anti-freeze should be environmentally friendly, and needs to be compatible with aluminum. Sierra Anti-freeze, and Camco RV anti-freeze are two commercially available products which can be used with the Hale primer.
    Keep in mind that if your pump is equipped with a rotary gear primer, which were very popular in the 70ís and 80ís, you will need to continue using 30w motor oil in order to properly lubricate the gears.

We have to prime our pumps so little on my department that the only time a primer ever gets used is basically during truck checks. We've drafted perhaps twice in the last year, which was a rarity for us, so I suspect we'll continue to use oilless primer's on our rigs for the forseeable future...

Forum Member

CDF (California Department of Forestry) uses regular old Propylene Glycol antifreeze, (env. safe) straight.

Birken

Thread Information