Thread: Dc Fd

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dc Fd

Does anyone have any info about the DC Fire department? Do they catch alot of fires? How are there Rescue squads manned/ equiped?

I hear that they may give a test soon. Anybody famaliar w/ the hiring process?

Do firefighter medics ever ride fire apparatus, or only ride the bus?

Any info would be helpful, thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know what your idea of alot of fires is. Some days you do some days you don't.

The Squads are rostered with an officer, driver and 5 firefighters assigned but run with 5 total. They are equiped like most other large urban departments. There are 3 and each has a different specialty.

FF/PM's ride Engines and medic units as the need of the service requires.

There is usally a test followed by an agility test, background, physical, mental evaluation. No interview.

Currently the job is looking for PM's and IP's already trained with FF-1 as there is a shortage.

http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,525745.asp

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a little surprised DCFD is thinking of giving a new test in late 2005 or 2006. DC is known for exhausting their list before giving a new test. The last test was spring of 2003. A buddy of mine got hired and was around #275 on the list and my brother is #525 and hasn't heard nothing lately. Get ready to wait in line to hand in your application.
    FYI, DC has a "open" house for one day to hand in your applications in person. My brother stood in the rain for 6 hours last test just to hand in your application. DC, in the past, only excepted applications on this one day open house and then the written was given a few weeks later.
    Good Luck to all!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Are there medics on DC Rescue Squads and Ladder companies, or only on the pumpers?

Thread Information