Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default another question to ponder...

With all the threads about what apparatus manufacturer is the best/worst, dealer service, etc., here's another question to ponder....

How many FD's invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in a new rig, yet fail to follow through in preventive maintenance, or worse, any maintenance at all?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Well said!

Forum Member

wasn't the city of Detroit guilty of this a few yrs back.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that niether my full-time, nor my volunteer department do. We'll do a good job on the chassis, but not on the pump and other parts. Hopefully that'll change now that a few of us on both departments attended a Hale pump mechanics class in our area. Great class if you ever get the chance to attend one. Very informative and eye opening.

Forum Member

Thumbs up maintenance

Right on Capt. Gonzo. This is something that I have brought up many times since I are a maintainer. I understand that according to Janet Wilmoth from FireChief Magazine that they are supposed to be planning, if not already, articles regarding this subject in their mag. There have been far too many times when lack of maintenance or deferred maintenance, for whatever reason, has caused firefighter fatalities as well as civilian. Thanks for the reminder.

I am a firm believer in the tag line from the Fram Filter commercials...

You can pay me now, or pay me later...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Arrow

We are lucky .........we have an excellent maintenance program and has allowed us to (for better or worse) keep a fleet that averages 18.57 years old !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

My volunteer department budgets every year for the necessary routine maintenance and then some. We also do a 6 months service on the CAF unit (If so equipped), transmission service including internal and external filters in addition to the fluid change, DDEC updates, front end alignments if its needed or not, pump testing, radiator flush, aerial testing and service (If so equipped), etc. We have 3 front line pumpers, 1 ladder tower, 1 heavy rescue, 1 squad/min-pumper, 2 EMS 1st response vehicles and 2 Chiefs vehicles and we spend less than $25,000 on vehicle maintenance a year because we stay on top of maintenance and fix problems when they are small. Not when they spiral out of control and cost alot more to fix. A neighboring career department has 3 front line pumpers, 1 quint, 2 reserve pumpers, 3 Chiefs vehicles and about 4 other administrative vehicles and spends over $80,000 a year for only the basic repairs. Notice I said repairs as they are not very big into preventative maintenance.

I agree 110%. Keep it running right by being ahead of maintenance and keep small problems small by fixing them as soon as they are recognized.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Ditto on the PM........ All of our vehicles get PM...... Minimum of annually, but some go more often depending on usage.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Mine....we have a ton of problems with one of our rigs..PM is like a joke around our house. That's what you get when your Chief is also your Mechanic, inspector, paperwork pusher, and ops manager. Yet the city doesn't think we need any clerical assistance.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Having a background in the heavy truck repair industry as well as the fire service, of course the volunteer department "taps" myself and my father for maintenance issues.

We have gotten a hold of some maintenance schedules from some of the top names in the industry for performing routine preventive maintenance leading to the least amount of lost-time breakdowns. Two of which that come to mind are UPS and Jevic Transportation.

We tweaked and played with the schedules, to fit our needs. We have A, B and C PM's scheduled at mileage and bi-anual intervals. Everything from changing crankcase oils and filters to properly lubing spring pin shackles to lubricating door piano hinges. We also have PM schedules for small equipment, such as saws & jaws, gen sets, and the like. Plus, all firefighting equipment gets attention- when hose gets pressure tested, all gaskets are checked and swivels are given a shot of graphite. All gaskets on 5" hose is given a rub of graphite, and locking lugs are checked for free play. All gated wyes and nozzles are given the same attention. In other words, if it moves, turns, rubs against something else, locks, opens, closes, etc. it is given the once over at LEAST once a year.

We utilize synthetic fluids when and where approved, and even receive extended warranties from some component manufacturers for this.

And, when the bean counters moan and ****** about the costs of some items, (such as synthetic lube) or when the chief or other officers complain about a piece being taken OOS for maintenance, we simply say "How often do you see Brown on the side of the road or on a hook?" Thats why!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    "How often do you see Brown on the side of the road or on a hook?" Thats why!
    Great point!
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information