MembersZone Subscriber

Question Facepiece Identification

Has anyone come up with a method of Permanently marking SCBA facepieces for identification. We've tried asset tags that don't stay. We've tried permanent marker on the netting - it fades. I've seen vendors marking carbon fiber bottles with stickers and covering them with epoxy. Any thoughts ?? Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Use an engraver on the trim around the facepiece.

Forum Member

We have ID numbers molded in the facepiece during the manufacture process. The only way to get rid of them is to completely destroy the mask.

I tried to take a pic, but they didn't come out very good.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Why Mark Them?...............

Why mark something like that? We stopped marking things, Cylinders for one, because marking served no useful purpose. In the case of a cylinder, if one at my station goes bad, I send it to the Maintainence Division and they send me another. When we marked the cylinders, everyones apparatus had cylinders from 2 or 3 other pieces on it. Looked kinda silly, so we quit marking them.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a labelmaker and attach a label on the facepiece under the chin area - we've never had a problem with them coming off. Some guys mark their netting with permanent marker as well - it only takes a minute to remark it occasionally.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Mask Service Unit here engraves the users name and I think a job serial number under the space that accepts the regulator near the chin cup. This never wears off and makes for easy identification.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Why mark something like that? We stopped marking things, Cylinders for one, because marking served no useful purpose. In the case of a cylinder, if one at my station goes bad, I send it to the Maintainence Division and they send me another. When we marked the cylinders, everyones apparatus had cylinders from 2 or 3 other pieces on it. Looked kinda silly, so we quit marking them.

Harve,

Here we are assigned our facepieces. If you lose it, you buy it. Hence, all the facepieces are marked for personal identification. Additionally, we probably have 1000 bottles, maybe more. I am sure the bottles are marked for maintainence reasons, ie keeping track of which ones have be hydrostaically tested, etc; not to keep certain bottles assigned to certain companies.

Our backplates are id'ed and assigned to apparatus.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also have over 1000 cylinders so to keep track of them they have a sticker that is applied and then epoxy is applied over the entire thing. Last forever. That is all done by our breathing air people.

As for masks...everyone has their own (525 people) and each mask has a small quarter-sized brass circle that is engraved with our employee number. It is then attached with a zip-tie (cable tie; whatever) and I have not heard of many coming off. Once again this is done by our breathing air division.

Forum Member

My Dept does exactly the same as Farmun's. Never had a problem.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Red face Oopss.................

Guess I could have been a bit more specific. I was referring to the practice (in some places) of painting the Unit ID (E-16, T-60, etc.) on the cylinder. The cylinders and backplates are identified and tracked by serial number. On the Facepiece angle, I can see a need to identify those that are assigned to individuals. In my station, only about 6 people have personally assigned facepieces. We carry a facepiece with each SCBA Unit, and the "odd sizes" are issued to individuals who have a specific need. One young lady who does a great job, does it with an extra small facepiece. I have a SCBA in my buggy, and the facepiece is "off the shelf", and I have never had a problem with it. We "Fit Test" annually, and there is a plan to eventually issue facepieces to the individual, instead of the apparatus.
    Our current SCBA standard is 5 on Engines, 6 on Trucks and Squads. Other units are issued them based on need. Stations have Cascade systems, and a breathing air unit goes on all Incidents that exceed a First Alarm response.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We have facepieces in the rigs mounted above the seats and match to the type regulator used (BMR or MMR MSA units).
    Most of the senior people have their own masks and carry them in a cloth bag and have them marked with a white paint pen.
    It doesn't seem to wash off in the mask cleaning bucket and if they can't keep up with their toys,it helps them figure how whose is whose.

Forum Member

We dont want to mark ours on a permenant basis as people do retire, change departments and what not. When this happens, the masks are sanitized, replaceable parts replaced and re-issued to new people. While assigned, we use a lable maker in which we load clear tape with black lettering. We make a lable with the new persons name and attatch it to the bottom of the eye piece (out of the field of vision) on the inside of the mask. Weve been doing this for years and it works well.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Most of us just use the permanent marker on the netting for facepieces.

Our bottles are marked with reflective tape and numbers to identify them as ours and to assist with maintenance tracking.

The pack frames are numbered for which rig it goes on....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Ours are marked with a label maker and also engraved with the persons number. Example:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

The plastic aroudn the facepiece the hard plastic that is can be engraved with small lettering that's what I did , just my inititials and works great , plus the marker on the netting also every so often with my initials.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

we dont have individual masks (yet) ............we do number our cylinders for maintence. Harnesses have the unit stenciled and spray painted on them.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Ours are engraved on the clear plastic down in the lower corners with name and file number.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thanks all

Thank you all for the info. Be safe !!

Thread Information