MembersZone Subscriber

Default Basic Question/Point in the Right Direction

I know this is more of a rookie question...but since just getting involved in our departments grant process a couple of questions have surfaced:

1) Is there a cap to the number of grants you can apply to?
    - more importantly is there a trend in which departments are less likely to win a grant if they have won in the past?

2) Is there a dollar cap per year in which you can apply?
    - i.e. I am applying for a grant for a truck at ## dollars, can I still apply for other items (would hate to get the lesser items and miss out on the truck)

I am gonna check out all the FEMA/DHS websites for FAQ's and the like but figured some of you might have asked these questions before.

Thanks for any help (or a good point in the right direction)...and stay safe!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

1a) Not really a rookie question, I'd be willing to bet that most folks missed this point: There is a cap of $2,750,000 on federal assistance in 1 year from all grant programs. (Loans are not counted.) So USDA, HUD, HSGP, AFG all added together can't be more than that amount. So lots of big cities were knocked out of the AFG because they got so much Homeland Security dough. An attempt to somewhat evenly distribute the available funding.

1b) There is verbage that says that they have discretion in awarding, so they can divert funding from someone that was previously awarded, but they really don't like to do that. They have deviated from numerical order, but not changing who was getting the funding. So if for some reason awards 50-80 are all from TX by coincidence, they may only award 50-60, then skip to 81-100 just to make sure that each round is diverse in geographical representation.

2a) Yes, each eligible item has a limit. PPE, SCBA, each type of vehicle are all capped unless justification is made for the seemingly excessive cost. For instance, CAFS/foam systems, light towers and the like all add extra costs over a stereotypical Class A pumper which is capped at $225K federal matching, so if you don't ask or mention that's why you need $280K in fed funds, you won't get the extra. PPE is limited to $1900 per set in head to toe covereage.

2b) Not an issue, with the AFG (FireACT) you can only apply for one thing, so you can either apply for equipment or for a vehicle, not both. (Fire Prevention and SAFER are separate apps with different lists of items you can apply for.) If you do apply for a vehicle you can include all equipment to make it a functioning vehicle as part of the application, so you can ask for the hose, nozzles, hand tools, saws, etc, etc. But be careful, because if you are replacing a vehicle, there should be equipment moving. Make sure this is addressed in the narrative.

Definitely read all Program Guidance documents, and you can kill a few days just in these forums. There are quite a few articles floating around Firehouse.com already ( and 3 more to come from yours truly) as well. There are a few sites with narratives from actual applications also. A few have moved or gone away but here are the big 3:

www.firegraphics.org
    www.chiefgrants.com
    www.yourgrantwriter.com

Don't hesitate to ask questions around these parts, there's plenty of folks ready, willing, and able to answer. If you don't want to post here, shoot an email over, the Inbox is always open.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grants

Last edited by Dobieg; 09-05-2005 at 07:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian,
    Curious question--If a municipality has a low- or no-interest federal loan, is there ever any imputed value to the savings versus the open market applied to the overall cap?? It will never affect our department, just curious.
    earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dobieg
    You Need To Look Further Into The Details. Say Maybe At Home Or At The Firehouse.
    Thank You

Anyone else not understanding this post? Almost looks and sounds like a different person. Verbage and typing style changes. Yes, I analyze things, it's my job. Plus it keeps me off the streets.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2
    Brian,
    Curious question--If a municipality has a low- or no-interest federal loan, is there ever any imputed value to the savings versus the open market applied to the overall cap?? It will never affect our department, just curious.
    earl
    Nope, only grant monies count. Anything that you have to pay back to someone (even the feds) doesn't count. Just free or discounted money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er

Anyone else not understanding this post? Almost looks and sounds like a different person. Verbage and typing style changes. Yes, I analyze things, it's my job. Plus it keeps me off the streets.
    I just noticed this reply as well. As I am the REAL Dobieg...it was confusing to me as well. Plus, the date/time of the post was pre-Thread starter.

So either somebody has a similar name (?) or the threads got messed up as I did not post that reply.

Anyway, please ignore that post (I was able to modify it so as not to offend/confuse any future readers)

Thanks for the info though guys...keep em coming!

Dobieg

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No problem. Gremlins are everywhere.

Thread Information