Thread: Any Calls?

Forum Member

Default Any Calls?

Anyone got any calls today?? was just wondering if they were gonna hand out this friday?? not heard any1 on here hoopin and hollerin..

Forum Member

I checked my senator's website today. He posts the announcements as soon as they come out and there haven't been any press releases yet since ours came out last week...

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Just got the call

Just spoke with my Congressman's Office. I got $93,000 for new SCBA's, spare bottles and 2 RIT Bag set ups. I recieved my 10 questions back in the end of July along with an updated 1099 with this years award number on it at the sames time. About a weeka later someone at DHS emailed me asking me to agree to reduce my award from $5,500 per pack to $5,000 per pack. OF course I said yes!!! Can't wait to go shopping!!!!

What is the consensus on the best SCBA out there right now? We currently run with ISI's. Some of which are over 15 years old. We are considering; ISI, Scott, MSA and Survivair.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I ran ISIs before moving down south here, and I liked the smaller regulator compared to others and how easy it was to dock. But after using Scott for the last 6 years, I can't complain about them either, you get used to the larger regulator.

If you're going to keep the older packs for training or spares, for logistics you might want to consider staying with ISI. If you're going to pass them on to another needy source, then get reps in from each and try them out. That's the best way to see hwo they all work and whatnot. Congrats on the award.

MembersZone Subscriber

We will most likely give the old packs to a department that could use them. Several larger deaprtments around us have always been generous with hand me downs and we usuall ytry to do the same. When the time gets closer, I will probably post something on line and see what kind of repsonse we get. This is the second year in a row that I wrote a successful grant so I am pretty psyched. Last years was for radios. That makes me 2 out of 3. Not sure waht we will do for next year.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you need help figuring out something for next year, drop me a line. Have brain, will use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I will keeop it in mind

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hand-Me-Downs

BC79er~ If we are claiming that our current packs are not safe and need updating, how cool is it to pass them down to another department? If by some stroke of luck we get this proposal we would be passing along over 60 packs. As I posted before, they are 2.2/30-minute steel bottles. How do we go about offering them up if this does come through? We are a suburb of Rochester, NY and there are many needy departments around us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations on the award.

We use Scott 4.5's. Had them upgraded to the current standard and with an integarted PASS device with the help of th 2004 grant. Changed from Survivair about 9 years ago. Every one was more than happy to see the Survivair go.

Most of the area fire departments that had Survivair have switched over to Scott's.

Things have changed over the years with SCBA's. Take the time to test, train and play with the different manufacturerer's to see what best fits your needs.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You can donate them however you see fit. They are certainly not NFPA 2002 compliant considering their age, but DHS will hold nothing against you for passing them on. In fact, they would rather see that since it helps 2 departments not just 1. It is up to the new owners to decide on whether they can afford to have them upgraded to 1981-2002ed compliance (~$1000 for most SCBA), or use them as is because they are better than what they currently own. No matter how bad something may seem, someone, somewhere has something worse, and will be glad to have your stuff.

Also before donating, make sure there is a hold harmless law in NY. I know about 10 states have them. Texas has since 1997. Basically it says that when someone donates equipment they are not liable for any damages or injuries from that equipment after releasing it from their possession. California does not have such a law, which is why practically new fire engines and other equipment are shipped to Mexico on a regular basis. No liabilities across national borders. Isn't that special.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

They must have had notification issues today...Just heard at 5:50 PM -- PA has 14 winners and that includes at least 4 ambulance companies.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Thumbs up Just got the call!!

We just the call from Congressman Shuster's office. We are getting $99,750 for the purchase of a new ambulance. We are replacing a 1993 ambulance with high mileage that is "whooped" it has been in the garage the past two weeks. This is a great thing for our community and the patient's that we take care of.

Thread Information