Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gas prices affecting your dept??

Curious..... with the cost of gas/diesel going up, have any of your dept.'s started to ration gas ie: no going to the store, no cruising around (street familiarization), or a decrease in out of station training...etc......? What do you think will happen?

By the way here in the KC area a gallon of gasoline today was anywhere from 2.86-3.09/gallon
    Last edited by ehs7554; 08-31-2005 at 04:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

For the EMS providers, are your rates going to increse?
    Last edited by ehs7554; 08-31-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Citys and towns hear have the for sight to buy in bulk. There only paying 1.50 a gallon for Gas.

Railroads are only paying $ 1.28 for diesel.

Like I said in another thread, its a game buy the oil companys. There just trying to suck every last dime they can.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber Asstchief1630's Avatar

My dept hasnt done anything different yet...

Im wondering when i will start hearing, from the members, "I cant afford the gas to run to all the calls, drills, work details & meetings anymore!"

I know if it goes to 4 - 5 dollars a gallon I will be limiting my responces - I have to worry about feeding and providing a roof over my family heads. GAS SUCKS!!!

Forum Member

Talking gas sucks?

Nothing changed here so far. I just wish I had a city vehicle supplied to me along with unlimited fuel like the Chiefs and big city people then I would not care either. I plan on filling my 5 gal. cans before it climbs even higher. Gas don't suck it blows or at the very least inflates rapidly.

My department has instituted a new policy on non essential vehicle usage because of fuel costs.

There shall be no trips to the store for food. All meals are to be pre planned with the food brought in from home. We may stop by the store however on the way back from a run, but then again there is no guarantee. Training is encouraged to be conducted at the station or very close by. Any non response driving activities (perform tactical surveys or area familiarization) should only be done on Mondays and Wednesdays.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Nothing has changed as of yet. When the prices started to go up earlier in the spring we started to police ourselves. Little things like shutting the truck off if it doesn't need to be running........ I'm sure our fuel budget is probably almost gone, which means it'll have to come from somewhere else in the budget.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    However, what happens when that barrel runs dry? Wouldn't it be wise to conserve the fuel no matter how much it costs. After all, when you go to refill the tank you will be hit with the higher price.

On another note, our gas prices went up $0.35 in 2 days. It is now at $3.20 per gallon. I know I am reevaluating my own travel. I'm also making sure I check home and grab what I need before I get there.
    Absolutely we are trying to cut fuel costs on the RR. Fuel is cheap, but still one of the biggest costs aside from labor .

However, locomotives are not like Automobiles. Its not good to constantly start and stop the engine and is usually more effcient to keep idleing. You got to remember, aside from 710 and some late 645 engines there is no starter motor. We either use the main generator or a air starter. Mostly the main generator.
    And alot of modern short lines and reduced big time operations keep the engines running 24/7 in the winter months to keep the engines from freezeing/cracking because there is no anti freeze in locomotives and no engine house to store the units in on cold nights. Its very difficult to start a cold diesel.

There is talk of the state of NH getting a green goat program going. Something like a 60/40 purchase deal between state and RR money.

It will take off like wild fire, if it makes money.

http://www.railpower.com/gallery/
    Last edited by stm4710; 08-31-2005 at 09:11 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have never seen a pic of a train on these forums. At least not one that is not involved in some type of fire or accident. And, I have never seen a train that looks like that one and I live near a huge rail yard here in KC. Oh did I get off the subject. I heard the Nat'l avg could be up to 3.50 within the month.

No changes yet.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

They will probably have us back using horses and cops walking foot posts before long

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

My area's fuel distributors have been rationing gas stations to one day's amount of fuel.If they run out,too bad,they have to wait until tomorrow for more fuel.
    This is for the foreseeable future.
    Also,as I was riding my bicycle past a gas station,the cheap gas was priced at $2.90/gallon-really $2.899- and the hi test was $3.10-again listed as $3.099 a gallon.
    There is now reason for the strategic oil reserves to be used.In previous years,it was due to complaints about high gas prices but now,we have a supply and processing problem that warrants such action.Just remember,that oil will need to be replaced once the current situation is over.Expect prices to climb again as the government takes oil from the suplly line and stores it away for emergencies again.
    I'd like to post some of the pictures of the towboats that I've worked on and run in my past life as a river rat.
    Towboats pushing barges are more fuel efficient that railroads and impact the environment far less.You can move 22,500 tons of breakbulk cargo in 15 barges with the same fuel it takes to move two 1 mile long freight trains.Ain't that plum amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    I have never seen a pic of a train on these forums. At least not one that is not involved in some type of fire or accident. And, I have never seen a train that looks like that one and I live near a huge rail yard here in KC. Oh did I get off the subject. I heard the Nat'l avg could be up to 3.50 within the month.
    Last edited by doughesson; 09-01-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Forum Member

Question Diesel in short supply!

Here in Northeast Kentucky regular gas is at 3.09.A local bulk plant will today(09-01-2005) start selling diesel which is in short supply ONLY to emergency services.Who can guess were this is headed.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in Ga, we have put restrictions on as well. I hate it. We have new people that need to get out and train and new drivers that need time behind the wheel.

MembersZone Subscriber

As of now we haven't started doing anything different. We are trying to police ourselves by not doing as much driver familiarization and such but it still happens from time to time. Gas in my part of southwest missouri was 2.499 2 days ago then went to 2.899 in some places and 2.999 in others in a matter of a day. What I think is funny is this is the same gas that they paid 2.399 for a week ago and have suddenly upped the price? That my friends is price goughing. Just galls me that these companies will take advantage of situations such as this to get every last dime out of people. But hey, what are ya gonna do, its gas, and we need gas. Damn supply and demand
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

One way this might affect my department that most probably haven't thought about is that if the heating oil prices stay high and get higher...there will be plenty of fires this winter when people start using alternative methods of heating their apartments and houses.

FTM-PTB

PS-I'm sure this will be a widespread problem this winter accross the entire Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    This is highway robbery. Time for the government to step in and stop the bleeding. There is something extremely wrong with this picture.
    We need to look at the citizens before the govt. Nationally, the demand for gasoline has increased this year, not decreased. I have a friend in town who owns one of the gas stations and he said that his gasoline sales (gallons purchased) this year is up 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    One way this might affect my department that most probably haven't thought about is that if the heating oil prices stay high and get higher...there will be plenty of fires this winter when people start using alternative methods of heating their apartments and houses.

FTM-PTB

PS-I'm sure this will be a widespread problem this winter accross the entire Northeast.
    Excellent observation! I didnt even think of that. I can see it now. FD budget busted due to high fuel prices. Sorry ma'am we cant afford to put your fire out because you were using youre oven to heat your apartment, we cant afford to use the fuel!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Default There are alternatives

Ok maybe not pure alternatives but Ethanol and to a lesser extent Soy based Bio diesel are quickly becoming feasible supplements to mid-east crude. In fact Ethanol has made dramatic strides in it's manufacturing efficiency. With crude bouncing off $70 we need to work toward this.

MembersZone Subscriber

89 octane started at 3.26 today! Its getting pretty wild

Thread Information