+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Walmart

Forum Member

Yes WalMart surely sucks, it is a blight upon both our nations there are at least 5 occaisions in my country where WalMart simply closed their stores when discovering that their employees were attempting to form a union.

WalMart doesnt give a crap about the people of the gulf coast, they, like many others just see a to get some good PR.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

So, even though they have given more money (as of now) than anyone else, they don't give enough? Please.

Your source material is BS. I would like specifics. I am willing to be that you're 10% figure includes religious tithing. That skews the number dramatically. I would also like to know if the $170 million you cited for WalMart includes the discretionary money that each store can donate locally. I would also like to know if it includes the money donated by the WalMart foundation.

I cannot refute (right now) your stats about the effect on the welfare system. But you're probably right. It would be far better if these people were unemployed. You're trying to tell me that the "mpom and pops" have the ability to employ all these people and to pay them the same amount? Of course they don't. You're trying to tell me that people should not have the opportunity to purchase goods at the lowest possible price smply because there are local businesses that might be hurt? Of course they do. It is a basic tenet of economics. A new store comes to town and offers goods at lower prices and forces other businesses to either lower their prices or move along has been going on in this country for 200 years. It's called free enterprise and capitalism. And it is a good thing.

To prohibit these companies from coming in, IMHO, is an anti-trust violation.

For every story of a community "ruined" by WalMart, there is a story about communities, rural as well as inner city, that have been saved by WalMart.

Permanently Removed

you can still hate the people who give out the money - just look at most of the people on welfare -they hate the republicans and g. bush but if theirs money being handed out, the stories different. why couldn't some of those people sitting around the superdome clean up their own mess - don't just sit there get up and do something instead of bitching and crying. the aid would have been there faster if the lowlife scumbags weren't looting and shooting people. the hurricane caused people to rape and pillage. those people should be ashamed of themselves

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    So, even though they have given more money (as of now) than anyone else, they don't give enough? Please.
    George, it has nothing to do with the money they have given to the relief effort WalMart remains a terrible organization to work for. It destroys local buisness and is anti worker and vehemantly anti-union. Lots of people are giving big money to the relief operation including Celine Dion, you can keep her too by the way

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke20286
    George, it has nothing to do with the money they have given to the relief effort WalMart remains a terrible organization to work for. It destroys local buisness and is anti worker and vehemantly anti-union. Lots of people are giving big money to the relief operation including Celine Dion, you can keep her too by the way
    This is a union talking point that has no basis in fact. Several people have already called for the union vs. non-union crap to be left off of here.

Forum Member

This is a union talking point that has no basis in fact. Several people have already called for the union vs. non-union crap to be left off of here.
    Call away mate it is hardly crap that hundreds of people lose their jobs simply because a group of money grubbing bastards want to skim off more profit

MembersZone Subscriber

Your source material is BS. I would like specifics. I am willing to be that you're 10% figure includes religious tithing. That skews the number dramatically. I would also like to know if the $170 million you cited for WalMart includes the discretionary money that each store can donate locally. I would also like to know if it includes the money donated by the WalMart foundation.

IFor every story of a community "ruined" by WalMart, there is a story about communities, rural as well as inner city, that have been saved by WalMart.
    OK George, since you've now not only told me to go to hell, now you're calling me a liar.

http://www.walmartfacts.com/docs/969..._416901112.pdf

Check your chamber of commerce. I am a member of one in my community. I KNOW what other local businesses (including mine) give as a percentage of revenues.

Oh yeah....the Walmart corporate line about it's OK that a significant number of our employees are on governmental assistance because at least they have a job....is a bunch of BS (to use your words). Let's talk about the high paying manufacturing jobs that have been lost because the nations #1 retailer has decided to buy foriegn made crap. Wanna source? How about the Washington times...

"More than 80 percent of the 6,000 factories in Wal-Mart's worldwide database of suppliers are in China. Wal-Mart estimates it spent $15 billion on Chinese-made products last year, accounting for nearly one-eighth of all Chinese exports to the United States. If the company that Sam Walton built with his "Made in America" ad campaign were itself a separate nation, it would rank as China's fifth-largest export market, ahead of Germany and Britain".

We can discuss this point like adults or we can sit and call people names and tell them to go to hell....your choice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ameryfd
    OK George, since you've now not only told me to go to hell, now you're calling me a liar.

http://www.walmartfacts.com/docs/969..._416901112.pdf

Check your chamber of commerce. I am a member of one in my community. I KNOW what other local businesses (including mine) give as a percentage of revenues.

Oh yeah....the Walmart corporate line about it's OK that a significant number of our employees are on governmental assistance because at least they have a job....is a bunch of BS (to use your words). Let's talk about the high paying manufacturing jobs that have been lost because the nations #1 retailer has decided to buy foriegn made crap. Wanna source? How about the Washington times...

"More than 80 percent of the 6,000 factories in Wal-Mart's worldwide database of suppliers are in China. Wal-Mart estimates it spent $15 billion on Chinese-made products last year, accounting for nearly one-eighth of all Chinese exports to the United States. If the company that Sam Walton built with his "Made in America" ad campaign were itself a separate nation, it would rank as China's fifth-largest export market, ahead of Germany and Britain".

We can discuss this point like adults or we can sit and call people names and tell them to go to hell....your choice.
    I didn't call you a liar. I said that the source material you "cited" was BS. Telling me that you "know" how much people give is not a source. The source material you provided on WalMart giving is enlightening and informative.

Unfortunately, the issue of the amount of goods that are manufactured overseas is a serious one-one that scares me. But to even remotely suggest that it is solely the fault of big bad WalMart is not right. Go into ANY retailer, big obx or Mom and Pop. See how easy it is to buy USA. It is a far larger problem that simply was not caused by WalMart.

Forum Member

One thing that makes me chuckle is listening to people rip apart Wal-Mart and fight almost to death to keep it from coming into town. Then when it opens, they go shop there weekly.

The next town over had a Wal-Mart coming to town and all the news was about the residents' resistance to it. Protests, petitons, the whole deal. But guess what. It has been busier than hell since it opened.

Forum Member

Oh, and it created like 350 jobs in a somewhat poor county. And no small Mom 'n Pops have went away that I know of.

Forum Member

Oh ok. I bet if I walked into your house and looked around, 80 % of what YOU HAVE BOUGHT was made overseas.

Forum Member

The problem with your theory is that the corporation is so succesful. The bottom line is:

PEOPLE WANT WALMART!

They want to be able to buy products at as low of a cost as possible. Too friggin' bad if they choose to patronize WalMart instead of the mom and pops. If people were so offended by WalMart, they wouldn't shop there.

The botom line is, if you do the research, that WalMart is one of the top philanthropic corporations in the country.

The people don't have choice.Wal-Mart is the only game (most small) town.
    The america dream at work.I feel their grip tighting around mom and pop as I type!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by coldfront; 09-02-2005 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Choices the america dream!!!!
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

The union hates Wally World but they love the union(that makes no sense) (cause everyone shops there at one time or another). Good for old Sammy Walton.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    Oh ok. I bet if I walked into your house and looked around, 80 % of what YOU HAVE BOUGHT was made overseas.
    Dude, you don't know me and your wrong....anyway, the jist of this fourm isn't premised on what a wonderful person I am, I think it has something to do with Walmart

Forum Member

For every job that a Wal-Mart creates, I'd be willing to bet that 2-3 "Moms and Pops" lose their job/source of income. Wal-Mart has successfully driven America away from supporting local business and is creating a Monopoly. Small businesses can not do anything when a Wal-Mart comes into town, they simply can not compete with a Corp. as large as Wally. It is ridiculous that Wal-Mart does not care about these people's livelyhood and would rather throw up another (unnecessary) store. No one can deny the fact that Wal-Mart forces small businesses to close due to their inability to be able to compete. In a day and age when everything is becoming less personal, it would be nice to be able to go to a Moms and Pops store and have a pleasant shopping experience all while supporting some locals (who turn around and support our community). But noooooo everyone is sooo excited about probably the worst shopping experience ever. Ask anyone in Wal-Mart where something is and I'd bet they couldn't tell you.. or they will give you a general area of the store where it MIGHT be found. Why? Because that store is the most cluttered/disorganized store ever. Oh, and those blue vests that they wear are all misprinted items. They meant to read, "How may I not help you."
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    For every job that a Wal-Mart creates, I'd be willing to bet that 2-3 "Moms and Pops" lose their job/source of income. Wal-Mart has successfully driven America away from supporting local business and is creating a Monopoly. Small businesses can not do anything when a Wal-Mart comes into town, they simply can not compete with a Corp. as large as Wally. It is ridiculous that Wal-Mart does not care about these people's livelyhood and would rather throw up another (unnecessary) store. No one can deny the fact that Wal-Mart forces small businesses to close due to their inability to be able to compete. In a day and age when everything is becoming less personal, it would be nice to be able to go to a Moms and Pops store and have a pleasant shopping experience all while supporting some locals (who turn around and support our community). But noooooo everyone is sooo excited about probably the worst shopping experience ever. Ask anyone in Wal-Mart where something is and I'd bet they couldn't tell you.. or they will give you a general area of the store where it MIGHT be found. Why? Because that store is the most cluttered/disorganized store ever. Oh, and those blue vests that they wear are all misprinted items. They meant to read, "How may I not help you."
    Sooooo.....

We should prohibit all Web Shopping sites because they offer goods at low prices and can drive mom and pop out of business? We should dismantle Home Depot. Lowe's Petco, Staples, KMart and all the other superstores because they offer low prices? Get real. It's basic economics.

WalMart IS a local business. It employs hundreds of local people. It supports local charities. It is a good clean business offering people what they want-low prices.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=GeorgeWendtCFI]Sooooo.....

We should prohibit all Web Shopping sites because they offer goods at low prices and can drive mom and pop out of business? We should dismantle Home Depot. Lowe's Petco, Staples, KMart and all the other superstores because they offer low prices? Get real. It's basic economics.[QUOTE]

I wouldn't give a damn if we dismantled all of those stores and prohibited web shopping..

So George Walton, exactly how much Wal-Mart stock do you own? Cause apparently you feel compelled to defend Wally in every possible way. You're not the average Wally supporter.. I'd bet there is another reason you're going to great ends to defend Wally.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting back to the reason for the thread, Walmart giving away food, diapers, toiletries etc.........Didn't they do that already? No wait that was the looters. Thanks Walmart for stepping up!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=FTMPTB15][QUOTE=GeorgeWendtCFI]Sooooo.....

We should prohibit all Web Shopping sites because they offer goods at low prices and can drive mom and pop out of business? We should dismantle Home Depot. Lowe's Petco, Staples, KMart and all the other superstores because they offer low prices? Get real. It's basic economics.

I wouldn't give a damn if we dismantled all of those stores and prohibited web shopping..

So George Walton, exactly how much Wal-Mart stock do you own? Cause apparently you feel compelled to defend Wally in every possible way. You're not the average Wally supporter.. I'd bet there is another reason you're going to great ends to defend Wally.
    Damn. You caught me. After I started this thread yesterday, WalMart stock went up 30-40 points just because of this thread. It's true! Neil Cavuto said so!

Please.

BTW, I own 0 shares.

Forum Member

Dude, you don't know me and your wrong....anyway, the jist of this fourm isn't premised on what a wonderful person I am, I think it has something to do with Walmart
    Ok dude, whatever. You stated the "Made in America" argument, not me. And I really don't believe that you have mostly American made products in your household. Give me a break.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

George,

As in most other topics there are multiple viewpoints. I think it is wonderful that WalMart gave the millions that they did.

Does it change my mind about WalMart? Not in the least. In some areas they are a boon to a dieing local economy, in others they destroy the make-up of a community, bleed it dry and then move on.

WebFire...

Maybe all the people you know are cattle and shop at WalMart, but sorry not everyone succombs to them. I do not shop there and I have made it clear to my family NOT to buy me anything from there, because if they do I will give it back to them. I do not like the way they treat there employees, the use of known illegal immigrants, and they way they damn near force their suppliers out of business with price restrictions....(read about Vlasic and rubber maid sometime if you don't believe me).

And believe what you want, I do go out of my way to buy made in America when ever I can. It is impossible in many things but very much possible in others.

FyredUp

Forum Member

I saw this morning on the news that walmart has upped its donation to 23 million and also they stated that any employee of a walmart in the affected area can go to another walmart anywhere in the country and get a job. I must say well done. Not only are they giving money that is so needed, they will continue to provide money to the "refugees" by providing them with employment that will be much needed for many.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51
    I saw this morning on the news that walmart has upped its donation to 23 million and also they stated that any employee of a walmart in the affected area can go to another walmart anywhere in the country and get a job. I must say well done. Not only are they giving money that is so needed, they will continue to provide money to the "refugees" by providing them with employment that will be much needed for many.
    whether you hate the store chain or not Kudo's to them for stepping up to the plate!
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

George you forgot a detail. Almost as soon as the winds subsided Wal-Mart donated 1 million dollars to the relief effort and sent down 10 tractor trailer loads of water.

Now talk about brotherhood and taking care of your own!

Every Wal-Mart not affected by Katrina is doing fund raising to pay to rebuild all the Associates houses that were lost. Plus Wal-mart is matching those funds dollar for dollar. This is on top of the fund raising they are doing for the Red Cross which is also matched dollar for dollar. PLUS, Wal-Mart Associates are volunteering to go down there for 6 weeks at a time to help rebuild those houses and also the stores. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Wal-mart
    will be paying these people to do this and is also picking up travel, lodging and food expenses.
    Whether these displaced Associates choose to go to another store or not is up to them. They will still get their paycheck regardless.

Yep, they sure do suck!
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Forum Member

Greetings,

My family shops at WalMart. We do out of convience - it has food, clothes, electronics, pet supplies, garden supplies, toys, hunting/camping gear and more!

Do they hire illegals? Maybe,but so do most restraunts and hotels in Tucson. Do they know it? Maybe - thats a problem bigger than WalMart.

We have 4 Walmart stores and a Sams Club - Have they pushed out some mom and pop stores? Maybe - but so did Target and K-mart when they first boomed in this area.

Walmart has a very strict policy when it comes to thier vendors - they barter for the price they will pay the vendor. The vendor must also agree to discount that item every year to Walmart - hence this is how Walmart can be so effective in beating out the competition.

For some vendors having Walmart as a buyer means that they will continue to thrive. If a company goes out it was probably headed that way before Walmart got involved.

As for low wages - Kmart, Target, and all those Mom and pop shops probably do not pay much more than Walmart if not less. You cant compare a smaller employee base to Walmart and say they are evil because a large number of thier employees are on welfare programs.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information