Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    For every job that a Wal-Mart creates, I'd be willing to bet that 2-3 "Moms and Pops" lose their job/source of income. Wal-Mart has successfully driven America away from supporting local business and is creating a Monopoly. Small businesses can not do anything when a Wal-Mart comes into town, they simply can not compete with a Corp. as large as Wally. It is ridiculous that Wal-Mart does not care about these people's livelyhood and would rather throw up another (unnecessary) store. No one can deny the fact that Wal-Mart forces small businesses to close due to their inability to be able to compete. In a day and age when everything is becoming less personal, it would be nice to be able to go to a Moms and Pops store and have a pleasant shopping experience all while supporting some locals (who turn around and support our community). But noooooo everyone is sooo excited about probably the worst shopping experience ever. Ask anyone in Wal-Mart where something is and I'd bet they couldn't tell you.. or they will give you a general area of the store where it MIGHT be found. Why? Because that store is the most cluttered/disorganized store ever. Oh, and those blue vests that they wear are all misprinted items. They meant to read, "How may I not help you."
    Sooooo.....

We should prohibit all Web Shopping sites because they offer goods at low prices and can drive mom and pop out of business? We should dismantle Home Depot. Lowe's Petco, Staples, KMart and all the other superstores because they offer low prices? Get real. It's basic economics.

WalMart IS a local business. It employs hundreds of local people. It supports local charities. It is a good clean business offering people what they want-low prices.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=GeorgeWendtCFI]Sooooo.....

We should prohibit all Web Shopping sites because they offer goods at low prices and can drive mom and pop out of business? We should dismantle Home Depot. Lowe's Petco, Staples, KMart and all the other superstores because they offer low prices? Get real. It's basic economics.[QUOTE]

I wouldn't give a damn if we dismantled all of those stores and prohibited web shopping..

So George Walton, exactly how much Wal-Mart stock do you own? Cause apparently you feel compelled to defend Wally in every possible way. You're not the average Wally supporter.. I'd bet there is another reason you're going to great ends to defend Wally.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting back to the reason for the thread, Walmart giving away food, diapers, toiletries etc.........Didn't they do that already? No wait that was the looters. Thanks Walmart for stepping up!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=FTMPTB15][QUOTE=GeorgeWendtCFI]Sooooo.....

We should prohibit all Web Shopping sites because they offer goods at low prices and can drive mom and pop out of business? We should dismantle Home Depot. Lowe's Petco, Staples, KMart and all the other superstores because they offer low prices? Get real. It's basic economics.

I wouldn't give a damn if we dismantled all of those stores and prohibited web shopping..

So George Walton, exactly how much Wal-Mart stock do you own? Cause apparently you feel compelled to defend Wally in every possible way. You're not the average Wally supporter.. I'd bet there is another reason you're going to great ends to defend Wally.
    Damn. You caught me. After I started this thread yesterday, WalMart stock went up 30-40 points just because of this thread. It's true! Neil Cavuto said so!

Please.

BTW, I own 0 shares.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ameryfd
    Dude, you don't know me and your wrong....anyway, the jist of this fourm isn't premised on what a wonderful person I am, I think it has something to do with Walmart
    Ok dude, whatever. You stated the "Made in America" argument, not me. And I really don't believe that you have mostly American made products in your household. Give me a break.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

George,

As in most other topics there are multiple viewpoints. I think it is wonderful that WalMart gave the millions that they did.

Does it change my mind about WalMart? Not in the least. In some areas they are a boon to a dieing local economy, in others they destroy the make-up of a community, bleed it dry and then move on.

WebFire...

Maybe all the people you know are cattle and shop at WalMart, but sorry not everyone succombs to them. I do not shop there and I have made it clear to my family NOT to buy me anything from there, because if they do I will give it back to them. I do not like the way they treat there employees, the use of known illegal immigrants, and they way they damn near force their suppliers out of business with price restrictions....(read about Vlasic and rubber maid sometime if you don't believe me).

And believe what you want, I do go out of my way to buy made in America when ever I can. It is impossible in many things but very much possible in others.

FyredUp

I saw this morning on the news that walmart has upped its donation to 23 million and also they stated that any employee of a walmart in the affected area can go to another walmart anywhere in the country and get a job. I must say well done. Not only are they giving money that is so needed, they will continue to provide money to the "refugees" by providing them with employment that will be much needed for many.

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51
    I saw this morning on the news that walmart has upped its donation to 23 million and also they stated that any employee of a walmart in the affected area can go to another walmart anywhere in the country and get a job. I must say well done. Not only are they giving money that is so needed, they will continue to provide money to the "refugees" by providing them with employment that will be much needed for many.
    whether you hate the store chain or not Kudo's to them for stepping up to the plate!
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber Trafficjockey93's Avatar

George you forgot a detail. Almost as soon as the winds subsided Wal-Mart donated 1 million dollars to the relief effort and sent down 10 tractor trailer loads of water.

Now talk about brotherhood and taking care of your own!

Every Wal-Mart not affected by Katrina is doing fund raising to pay to rebuild all the Associates houses that were lost. Plus Wal-mart is matching those funds dollar for dollar. This is on top of the fund raising they are doing for the Red Cross which is also matched dollar for dollar. PLUS, Wal-Mart Associates are volunteering to go down there for 6 weeks at a time to help rebuild those houses and also the stores. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Wal-mart
    will be paying these people to do this and is also picking up travel, lodging and food expenses.
    Whether these displaced Associates choose to go to another store or not is up to them. They will still get their paycheck regardless.

Yep, they sure do suck!
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Forum Member

Greetings,

My family shops at WalMart. We do out of convience - it has food, clothes, electronics, pet supplies, garden supplies, toys, hunting/camping gear and more!

Do they hire illegals? Maybe,but so do most restraunts and hotels in Tucson. Do they know it? Maybe - thats a problem bigger than WalMart.

We have 4 Walmart stores and a Sams Club - Have they pushed out some mom and pop stores? Maybe - but so did Target and K-mart when they first boomed in this area.

Walmart has a very strict policy when it comes to thier vendors - they barter for the price they will pay the vendor. The vendor must also agree to discount that item every year to Walmart - hence this is how Walmart can be so effective in beating out the competition.

For some vendors having Walmart as a buyer means that they will continue to thrive. If a company goes out it was probably headed that way before Walmart got involved.

As for low wages - Kmart, Target, and all those Mom and pop shops probably do not pay much more than Walmart if not less. You cant compare a smaller employee base to Walmart and say they are evil because a large number of thier employees are on welfare programs.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought what WalMart has done is a good thing........

Thanks, George!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Trafficjockey93
    George you forgot a detail. Almost as soon as the winds subsided Wal-Mart donated 1 million dollars to the relief effort and sent down 10 tractor trailer loads of water.

Now talk about brotherhood and taking care of your own!

Every Wal-Mart not affected by Katrina is doing fund raising to pay to rebuild all the Associates houses that were lost. Plus Wal-mart is matching those funds dollar for dollar. This is on top of the fund raising they are doing for the Red Cross which is also matched dollar for dollar. PLUS, Wal-Mart Associates are volunteering to go down there for 6 weeks at a time to help rebuild those houses and also the stores. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Wal-mart
    will be paying these people to do this and is also picking up travel, lodging and food expenses.
    Whether these displaced Associates choose to go to another store or not is up to them. They will still get their paycheck regardless.

Yep, they sure do suck!

Yeah, I sure did. But I got caught up arguing with uninformed WalMart haters that I forgot that part.

Forum Member

i just want to give you some facts about walmart... it shows pretty clear that i am not a fan of this company...

but i also want so say that this should not be discussed in an hurricane forum...

Walmart:

business volume (2002): 187.30 Billion Euro
    profit (2002): 5.67 Billion Euro
    employees (2002): 1.387.000

Walmart is known for paying just minimum wage.
    Walmart often refuses to pay overtime:

In 2000 69.000 employees in Colorado sued Walmart for paying 50 Million dollars for overtime.

Currently there are 200.000 employees in Texas sueing Walmart for 150 Million Dollars of overtime payment.

Situations of factories who deliver to Wal Mart are even worse:

The "Beximco" Factory in Bangladesh, who delivered to Walmart, provided in 1999 following conditions:
    daily work time: 12.5 hours, 7 days a week
    9 - 21 cents payment per hour (thats 40 - 70% below local minimum wage)

In a factory in China, who delivered to Walmart, emloyees had to work 30 days a month. They had to sleep in the factory, got two meals a day, their payment was about 11.54 Euros per month. But they had to pay the factory so much for the meals and housing that in the end they owed money to the factory.

And then they praise themself by donating so much money. Thats just disgusting.

Scources:
    Waltmart Annual Report
    national Labor Commitee
    New York Times
    Last edited by Grisu83at; 09-05-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Exclamation Walmart vs. Fire Department (wages)

I read a couple people saying that Walmart pays low wages. They do, but
    not too long ago, I had a brief discussion with a firefighter from Baton Rouge discussing wages in LA. He said: "Louisiana is like most southern states, firefighter pay is low. we have departments with firefighters making only $20k a year after a few years of service."
    That's exactly what any full-time, entry level Walmart employee with a few years of service makes around here.
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

to join in the disgust of walmart.......
    http://www.wakeupwalmart.com

Who else has stepped up as big time as walmart? To date no one that I have found. You don't have to like them or give them a pat on the back, however they are helping out bigtime. I hope for the many homeless that other companies follow their lead and give.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

What WalMart is doing and has done for the Katrina victims is commendable. Hopefully it will be a shining example to other corporations on how to step up. I will not denegrate that effort.

Does my appreciation of their releif effort change my mind about them in their everyday business practices? Not in the least. Will I become a Walmart customer because of their humanitarian efforts? Nope. Will I go to Hell? Most likely, but not because George doesn't like my viewpoint.

I believe in the United States of America choice is one of our God given rights...and it is clearly within my rights to not shop at WalMart and to point out clearly to those that do why I choose not to.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp
    What WalMart is doing and has done for the Katrina victims is commendable. Hopefully it will be a shining example to other corporations on how to step up. I will not denegrate that effort.

Does my appreciation of their releif effort change my mind about them in their everyday business practices? Not in the least. Will I become a Walmart customer because of their humanitarian efforts? Nope. Will I go to Hell? Most likely, but not because George doesn't like my viewpoint.

I believe in the United States of America choice is one of our God given rights...and it is clearly within my rights to not shop at WalMart and to point out clearly to those that do why I choose not to.

FyredUp
    "...and the home of the brave." (Flag waving in the background).

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Why are many of you just picking on Wal-Mart for giving to the relief effort?
    Oh, yeah; that was the title of the thread.
    George; I know you tried hard to tie in Wal-Mart to the Katrina disaster and you make very good talking points about them exceeding several of our "allies" in real dollars, but there has been little tie-in since the opening volley to Hurricane Katrina.
    If you want to bash Wal-Mart, could you at least MENTION Hurricane Katrina; even as an after-thought?
    And be careful; some almost got personal. WT has said they will shut it down and suspend offenders for 7 days the first time. Permanent for the second. I think they are serious.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Why are many of you just picking on Wal-Mart for giving to the relief effort?
    Oh, yeah; that was the title of the thread.
    George; I know you tried hard to tie in Wal-Mart to the Katrina disaster and you make very good talking points about them exceeding several of our "allies" in real dollars, but there has been little tie-in since the opening volley to Hurricane Katrina.
    If you want to bash Wal-Mart, could you at least MENTION Hurricane Katrina; even as an after-thought?
    And be careful; some almost got personal. WT has said they will shut it down and suspend offenders for 7 days the first time. Permanent for the second. I think they are serious.
    CR
    Please don't get me wrong. I do not bash WalMart. I have been defending them from day one. Their relief contributions are up to over $23 million. My initial "sucks" comment was sarcastic. I am geniunely impressed by their response. I don't make it a habit to shop at WalMart, but I will try to patronize them a little more following this.

Thread Information