+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread: Walmart

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Walmart Sucks!

Boy, WalMart Corp. sure sucks, don't they?

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4098910&EDATE=

BENTONVILLE, Ark., Sept. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Following President
    Bush's announcement today that former Presidents Bush and Clinton will lead a
    nationwide fundraising effort to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina, Wal-
    Mart President and CEO Lee Scott contacted President Clinton and the White
    House and committed $15 million from Wal-Mart to jump-start the effort.
    As part of this commitment, Wal-Mart will establish mini-Wal-Mart stores
    in areas impacted by the hurricane. Items such as clothing, diapers, baby
    wipes, food, formula, toothbrushes, bedding and water will be given out free
    of charge to those with a demonstrated need.
    Wal-Mart previously donated $2 million in cash to aid emergency relief
    efforts and has been collecting contributions at its 3,800 stores and CLUBS,
    and through its web sites [www.walmartfacts.com, http://www.walmart.com,
    http://www.walmartfoundation.org, http://www.walmartstores.com, http://www.samsclub.com].
    Through its Associate Disaster Relief Fund, the company will also give
    displaced associates immediate funds for shelter, food, clothing and other
    necessities.
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood
    Markets and SAM'S CLUBS in all fifty states. Internationally, the company
    operates in Puerto Rico, Canada, China, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, United
    Kingdom, Argentina and South Korea. The company's securities are listed on
    the New York and Pacific stock exchanges under the symbol WMT.

SOURCE Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Web Site: http://www.walmartstores.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default e

maybe im missing something, but why do they suck?

Forum Member

Think was George’s style of sarcasm.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Some Guy

Look for the tongue firmly planted in Georges cheek.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

George... is this our Friday morning dose of sarcasm???

MembersZone Subscriber

Title got your attention, didn't it?

I did some financial calculations. I have determined (using Boonton math, so it wasn't easy) that WalMart has donated approxomately $17 million dollars more than France, Kuwait, and every other country that we have bailed out in the last 100 years or so.

All of you who criticize WalMart can go to hell.

Forum Member

Take it easy George. Walmart is doing their part. Just like all of us are. Walmart can afford to give that much. We are getting a Wal mart in the town where I work. To get them to build, they demanded a 50% property tax break..So I am not quite ready to elevate Wal Mart to sainthood just yet.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Take it easy George. Walmart is doing their part. Just like all of us are. Walmart can afford to give that much. We are getting a Wal mart in the town where I work. To get them to build, they demanded a 50% property tax break..So I am not quite ready to elevate Wal Mart to sainthood just yet.
    Did they get it?

WalMart didn't ride into town and hold a gun to your head. Somebody must have invited them in.

Forum Member

The town I work is majority minority(85-90%). We need jobs in this region. half of something is better then nothing. Go about 8 miles from here. Wal Mart is getting no tax breaks..Figure it out for yourself.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

The town I work is majority minority(85-90%). We need jobs in this region. half of something is better then nothing. Go about 8 miles from here. Wal Mart is getting no tax breaks..Figure it out for yourself.
    Figure what out for myself? That WalMart is courageous enough to open stores in communities where no other similar company will and provides jobs (and BTW, money) to these communities that sorely need jobs? I personnaly do not care what color people are. In lower income areas, the need is for secure jobs. WalMart is here to stay.

Forum Member

I hate Wal-Mart!

But then again I'm a city planner and have seen plenty of what they've done to downtowns and mom & pops all around the

But as for the $15M about time they step up and give back a fraction of what they've taken from us.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFTide
    I hate Wal-Mart!

But then again I'm a city planner and have seen plenty of what they've done to downtowns and mom & pops all around the

But as for the $15M about time they step up and give back a fraction of what they've taken from us.
    The problem with your theory is that the corporation is so succesful. The bottom line is:

PEOPLE WANT WALMART!

They want to be able to buy products at as low of a cost as possible. Too friggin' bad if they choose to patronize WalMart instead of the mom and pops. If people were so offended by WalMart, they wouldn't shop there.

The botom line is, if you do the research, that WalMart is one of the top philanthropic corporations in the country.

Forum Member

Yea that part of Wal-Mart does suck but its the same for Home Depot and Lowes... they simply over power the mom and pop store. We are partially to blame with our "one stop shop" attitude!

On the other hand.. in a situation like this they have both financial means and warehouses of supplies to make a huge difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    The problem with your theory is that the corporation is so succesful. The bottom line is:

PEOPLE WANT WALMART!
    I don't WANT it...

I don't shop at those places.

I do remember the time I needed like 2 screws, tried to find a small hardware store that would ID what I needed and sell me just 2 screws, nope had to go to Home Depot and buy a whole asst. of screws.

And Wal-Mart, noone there can help you. I had to go to one at night (because was the only thing open) because we had a fly problem, I needed fly paper, finally found it in a sea of everything else and had to stand on line for 15 minutes to buy a 1 dollar item , I was tempted to walk out and just throw a buck at the register as I walked by.

We as Americans are so spoiled it's unbelieveable, we expect everything in one place and at one low price.
    Last edited by FFTide; 09-02-2005 at 12:38 PM.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

You throw around the word "courageous" pretty casually George.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

PEOPLE WANT WALMART!

They want to be able to buy products at as low of a cost as possible. Too friggin' bad if they choose to patronize WalMart instead of the mom and pops. If people were so offended by WalMart, they wouldn't shop there.

The botom line is, if you do the research, that WalMart is one of the top philanthropic corporations in the country.
    Problem with your theory is that if you look at the percentage of gross income that "mom and pops" donate to thier respective communities compared with the percentage of gross income that Walmart puts back in there is a huge discrepancy. Just do a little investigating.

Problem with your theory is that Walmart does not offer this wonderful job creation and economic boom to communities. In Wisconsin, the state is looking to sue Walmart because Walmart employees comprise the largest segment of the polpulation recieving tax funded welfare and medicade.

Problem with your theory is that the reason that Walmart offers lower prices is because they walk a grey line when it comes to fair business practices. Case in point... the mom and pop appliance store has a 15 day invoicing from their suppliers when they purchase inventory for thier stores. Because of Walmarts economic prowess they have forced the suppliers to carry the inventory invoice until the item is purchased without and interest fee on the inventory. Mom and Pops cannot compete with that sort of leverage.

Give credit where credit is due. They are stepping up to the plate like thousands of other businesses in the country during this time of need. But let's not equate them to the second coming of Christ. Furthmore....just because someone else doesn't see the destroyer of rural America through the same rose colored glasses as you doesn't mean we should "go to hell".

Forum Member

Our small Local is donating a sum to the IAFF disaster relief fund that totals almost 5% of our treasurery. We are doing it to directly help our Brother and Sisters in the Gulf Coast. It's the right thing to do but it doesnt make us any better then anyone else.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFTide
    I hate Wal-Mart!

I hate walmart also

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ameryfd
    Problem with your theory is that if you look at the percentage of gross income that "mom and pops" donate to thier respective communities compared with the percentage of gross income that Walmart puts back in there is a huge discrepancy. Just do a little investigating.

Problem with your theory is that Walmart does not offer this wonderful job creation and economic boom to communities. In Wisconsin, the state is looking to sue Walmart because Walmart employees comprise the largest segment of the polpulation recieving tax funded welfare and medicade.

Problem with your theory is that the reason that Walmart offers lower prices is because they walk a grey line when it comes to fair business practices. Case in point... the mom and pop appliance store has a 15 day invoicing from their suppliers when they purchase inventory for thier stores. Because of Walmarts economic prowess they have forced the suppliers to carry the inventory invoice until the item is purchased without and interest fee on the inventory. Mom and Pops cannot compete with that sort of leverage.

Give credit where credit is due. They are stepping up to the plate like thousands of other businesses in the country during this time of need. But let's not equate them to the second coming of Christ. Furthmore....just because someone else doesn't see the destroyer of rural America through the same rose colored glasses as you doesn't mean we should "go to hell".
    Until all of the other major corporations step up to the plate in the same magnitude-yes it does. "Destroyer of rural America"? Hardly.

Can you provide a source for your study of philanthropic giving by "mom and pop" businesses?

It's an insult to insinuate that I acquanited this donation to the second coming. But it still is more than any other corp.-as fas I can research_ has done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our small Local is donating a sum to the IAFF disaster relief fund that totals almost 5% of our treasurery. We are doing it to directly help our Brother and Sisters in the Gulf Coast. It's the right thing to do but it doesnt make us any better then anyone else.
    It certainly makes you better than those who do not donate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Things I hate about Walmart:

- Endlessly searching up and own row and rows of stuff looking for my GF.
    - The nearest one is 70 miles away.
    - A lot of their crap breakes, you get what you pay for.
    - Those barny trains and such in the entry way.
    - Door greeters
    - They hurt small bussness folks
    - They are supposed to save you money...yet I still always end up paying for a huge amount of crap

Things I like about Walmart:

- That its 70 miles away
    - They donate a lot of money
    - They have Xboxes set up so I can pass time waiting for my GF to get done shopping
    - The fish tanks
    - Some have MyDonalds, I like crapy fast food once in a while.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

It certainly makes you better than those who do not donate.
    Because we all have a score sheet in heaven. (*Note sarcasm George*)
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

I can not believe me and George are on the same page lol. When Wal-Mart came into our area it was a big relief. They created a lot of jobs. And brought a lot more business in to the area with them. All the mom and pop stores are still here. The only ones that went our was grocery type place and that was Giant Eagle that did that. Our Wal-Mart has helped up with a lot of things. We did a haunted corn maze for the last couple of years and they have helped with that the people that work there come and support us. We have received quite a few donations from them. To help by things like our AED and TIC. If it wasn’t for Wal-Mart or community would have been in deep troubles. When they come the bring other business with them. The people there are very into helping the community. Their safety committee gets us involved in their projects as well. We have had a lot of good PR thanks to them. My hats off to them. Thanks George for showing us how much Wal-Mart is giving back to help.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Early Adopter

Exclamation

WalMart didn't ride into town and hold a gun to your head. Somebody must have invited them in.
    Actually, it's not as easy as calling them and inviting them to town. The city I work for is a community of 15,000 and is growing by 1,000 every year. I believe that we are the largest community in the state of Arkansas without a Wal-Mart. Currently, we have no general merchandise store in the entire community. We've got 15,000 people and you have to leave town to buy underwear or a pair of jeans. If Wal-Mart wanted to come to town, I figure that the mayor would be out on the main drag ready to hug their necks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Until all of the other major corporations step up to the plate in the same magnitude-yes it does. "Destroyer of rural America"? Hardly.

Can you provide a source for your study of philanthropic giving by "mom and pop" businesses?

It's an insult to insinuate that I acquanited this donation to the second coming. But it still is more than any other corp.-as fas I can research_ has done.
    As much as an insult as it is to tell those of us whose communities have been hurt by walmart to "go to hell"

As far as a source....Specifically, mine came from several Chambers of Commerce in our area. Plus there are several sources mentioned in the book by Bill Quinn.

Consider this... Walmart had revenues last year of 287.5 billion dollars. The national average of small town business budgetary charitable giving around 10% of revenue. That includes things like donating the hotdogs for the church social or giving door prizes for the firemans raffle. That means Walmart needs to donate about 28.7 billion. Last year, Walmarts Charitable giving was $170 million....guess what George, that equals less than 1% of their revenue. Walk down to any Mom and Pop in your community (if Walmart hasn't forced them all out of business and ask them what percentage of their revenue went back to thier local community....I'm guessing every single one will tell you a number greater than 75/100ths of a percent.

Finally, tell those communities where Wal-mart came, ran the mom and pops out of business, then didn't make the revenue they need in thier economic model so they shut the walmart down and left the communities without anything...tell those communities that Walmart hasn't destroyed rural America.

Oh yeah, let's not forget about Walmarts great impact on Federal taxpayers as well.....one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in a cost to federal taxpayers of $420,750 per year – about $2,103 per employee. Specifically, the low wages result in the following additional public costs being passed along to taxpayers:

$36,000 a year for free and reduced lunches for just 50 qualifying Wal-Mart families.
    $42,000 a year for Section 8 housing assistance, assuming 3 percent of the store employees qualify for such assistance, at $6,700 per family.
    $125,000 a year for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families, assuming 50 employees are heads of household with a child and 50 are married with two children.
    $100,000 a year for the additional Title I expenses, assuming 50 Wal-Mart families qualify with an average of 2 children.
    $108,000 a year for the additional federal health care costs of moving into state children’s health insurance programs (S-CHIP), assuming 30 employees with an average of two children qualify.
    $9,750 a year for the additional costs for low income energy assistance.

In Georgia, one of 25 states where Wal-Mart happens to be the largest employer, over 10,261 children of Wal-Mart employees were recently found to be enrolled in the state's Peachcare program, which provides low-cost health insurance coverage to Georgia minors in families meeting federal poverty criteria. Six percent of Peachcare's September 2002 rolls (totalling 166,000cases) were children from Wal-Mart families, blowing away the enrollment level of the next highest private employer, Publix with 734 children.
    Last edited by ameryfd; 09-02-2005 at 03:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information