Thread: Sprint / Nextel

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sprint / Nextel

Just an FYI for all of you who are currently sprint PCS / Nextel subscribers.

You can now (as of Sept. 1st) switch between 1 or the other companies without being penalized, paying cancellation or start up fees.

We just switched from Sprint PCS to Nextel yesterday and all we had to do was buy the phone (because we wanted the i530's - $49 ea.), and there was no other fee and we are only 6mos into a 2year contract with Sprint (which they normally would have charged us $150 per phone to cancel the contract).

Not to mention you can get 10% off your Nextel bill if you are a firefighter.

So if you have Sprint and want to switch to Nextel you can do it now without any cancellation fees and you can save 10% on your monthly bill and even keep the same number you have now, they can transfer it.

Andy
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

Forum Member

i duno about anyone else but my service with nextel has seemed to have gotten worse in my area ,it's to the point where it now seems to have no service more than actualy having service.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

BFD.. that's funny you should say that. I just tried to have a direct connect conversation with a buddy who is on vacation in your area and about every other time I tried to answer him back it said he was unavailable. It got to the point that we quit and he is going to call me from the road later.

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow I agree with you two..

I have had more problems with my Nextel than usual lately.
    Question for you FireAndy: What are the benefits (if any) for switching from Nextel to Sprint PCS?
    Thanks,
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

Forum Member

I have many friends with nextel, and quite frankly, I don't understand why they keep them. I have an old *****box cell phone, and their sporty flashy nascar phones won't get a signal, and I'll have full bars. They get descent reception on the walky talky part, but not on the phone. I obviously don't really understand how the whole cell phone system works. When you take any cell phone outside its tower range, isn't it supposed to rome, and utilize other cell phone companies towers? These nextel customers have complained about this, and they were told that it was because nextel hasn't put towers in that area yet. I questioned this because if I have coverage there is obviously someones tower within range, so why can't the nextel work?
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

Rossco,
    Nextel operates on a different frequency band then other carriers. Nextels won't work on say, Verizon, Cingular....and vise versa. I have a cingular phone, and a tower with nextel cell sites on it 1/4 mile from my house. I have 2 bars from the tower 5 miles away that has cingular on it.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

I can't wait for my nextel contract to expire. They just suck anymore. I had to call today to get my voicemail fixed again, second time in about 4 months. Direct connect is nice, but I won't miss it much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeuitEFDems
    Rossco,
    Nextel operates on a different frequency band then other carriers. Nextels won't work on say, Verizon, Cingular....and vise versa. I have a cingular phone, and a tower with nextel cell sites on it 1/4 mile from my house. I have 2 bars from the tower 5 miles away that has cingular on it.
    Thanks, I never knew that, but now it makes sense.

Do most other carriers all use a common frequency?
    There goes the neighborhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by prymtym
    I have had more problems with my Nextel than usual lately.
    Question for you FireAndy: What are the benefits (if any) for switching from Nextel to Sprint PCS?
    Thanks,
    KC

Personally I cannot think of any. I switched from Sprint to Nextel, we use our nextels on the department quite a bit, so I wanted to switch, now I would say 95% of our department uses nextel and it helps out with comm for sure.

Luckily our nextel service is pretty good as they have a tower in our area and pretty much where our coverage area is. Sprint does have a two way service, but you can only talk to others with sprint 2-way, just like nextel.
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LeuitEFDems
    Rossco,
    Correct, Nextel is, I believe, the only company that doesn't do roaming at all, which is why they state in their advertising "No Roaming Fee's!" because they cannot roam

Other carriers can do an analog roam as long as the phone is equipped for it (most these days can). Some phones you can even specify wether to notify you before making a call in a roaming area or not. This way you do not get overcharged.
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FireAndy
    Sprint does have a two way service, but you can only talk to others with sprint 2-way, just like nextel.
    Does the Sprint two-way work as well as the Nextel? I find the Nextel two-way works very well, it's the plans I don't like.
    Thanks for the reply,
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Huh?...............

Does the Sprint two-way work as well as the Nextel? I find the Nextel two-way works very well, it's the plans I don't like. Thanks for the reply, KC
    Does Sprint have 2-way? I have no idea. I, and whole lot of other folks here, have Nextel, and we all pretty much agree that you can have our Nextels after you pry them from our cold dead fingers. We got them, we like them, and there is nothing else out there that will give us what we have now. We use the Walkie Talkie about 98% of the time, in fact we handle a lot of our lower priority Fireground Communications with them, to keep the radio clear for more urgent calls.

Someone mentioned Voice Mail. I had mine disabled from day one, on purpose. As a Chief, I have 2 Pagers, 2 Radios, 1 Nextel, 3 emails, a Fax, 38 land phone lines into the station, and 2 lines at home. Apparatus is equipped with Cingular mobile phones. If you can't get me, it's because I don't want to be bothered.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Someone mentioned NEXT HELL having gotten worse in the last few months.......I concur.....Here in the Lehigh Valley, Pa area in the foothills of the Poconos, where we always had pretty decent signals, it seems like 3-4 months ago, someone threw a switch, and now being able to talk on your NEXT HELL, either by 2-way or Cell is a gamble. Mostly 2-Way, though. Quite annoying actually when you cant talk to your wife from the detached garage to the house, but you can talk to a friend in Florida like he is standing next to you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

someone mentioned about the 10% discount. yeah that sounds good but it doesnt happen. they tell you that and it knocks about 5 bucks off but then on all the bills after the first couple it just seems to keep climbing up. My bill is supose to be around $40. never saw it. it hasnt been below $60. and i have never went over my minutes. asked them about the discount and why my bill was so high. they said the discount was there and that they can tax me however they want. Other then that i like the service for where i'm at.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

NEXTEL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I have had nextel for the last 5 yrs. and I have had it. Dropped calls, no service, crappy signals. I am all done. I just did the math. Right now I pay $160 dollars a month for my plan and all told I only used 1600 minutes between peak, off peak, and DC. T-Mobile is offering 3000 whenever minutes for $50 plus taxes so figure around $65 total, and I'll still have 1400 minutes to play with. I'll save $95 a month and have less headaches!! Out of the 108 guys on my job about 80 of them had NEXTEL, now it isn't even half that, and almost all the cops I know got rid of them as well.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Someone mentioned Voice Mail. I had mine disabled from day one, on purpose. As a Chief, I have 2 Pagers, 2 Radios, 1 Nextel, 3 emails, a Fax, 38 land phone lines into the station, and 2 lines at home. Apparatus is equipped with Cingular mobile phones. If you can't get me, it's because I don't want to be bothered.
    The wife must like that chief. Especially in those "intimate" marital moments.

I have had the 10% from day 1, and that was in 2000. If you are having issues with it then I would call customer service and tell them.

Service has gone down a bit here. I used to have 4 bars here in my house when I moved in last year. Now I am lucky if I get 1 - 2. Other than that it isn't too bad. I was hoping that Sprint would spruce up the set up a bit. Oh well.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah.................

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    The wife must like that chief. Especially in those "intimate" marital moments. I have had the 10% from day 1, and that was in 2000. If you are having issues with it then I would call customer service and tell them.Service has gone down a bit here. I used to have 4 bars here in my house when I moved in last year. Now I am lucky if I get 1 - 2. Other than that it isn't too bad. I was hoping that Sprint would spruce up the set up a bit. Oh well.
    Wife? She's the President of the VFD, ( www.gdvfd18.com ) and a Director of the County Vol. Fire/Rescue Association. ( www.pgcvfra.org ) And a Committee Chair for the State Firemen's Association. She's got more phones than I do.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

So that is why you guys have such a great marriage. You never see each other, but damned if you can't get in touch with each other without any issues.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Does the Sprint two-way work as well as the Nextel? I find the Nextel two-way works very well, it's the plans I don't like.
    Thanks for the reply,
    KC

Yes they do, I have never used it. Personally I thought the Sprint service was horrible which is why I switched to Nextel, not to mention the entire department I am on has them so it helps. Nextel's two-way is flawless for us.
    EMT-B

Forum Member

I've had good service since I switched to Nextel. The only trouble was the speaker on the older phones, they voice sounded garbled very often. Now that I upgraded to a newer phone the voice is very clear. My father left Nextel due to the price, went to T-moblie for 10 dollars or so less amonth, He only stuck with them for a month and left them due to very bad connections, if you could even service. All just depends on the area you live.

Forum Member

You can all sit here and say one company sucks more than another because your calls drop or you have no service. It is the biggest waste of time. Your quality if service is going change 2 miles down the road. Just because bob smith has crappy service in his town doesn't mean bill jones won't have great service in his town. Who gives a crap what cell service is like in Bangor, Maine when you live in Las Vegas. The only decent way to shop is to ask people in your area.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information