Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

A very good point has been brought up in this...why not shift a local response team (like one that is an hour away) into an area instead of shifting an out of the area team in...I am not talking about specially trained persons (unless they are local as well) because the locals know the area, you maybe an hour away, but still, I am an hour away from cleveland, I mean I have been to cleveland many times, as well as someone who lives an hour away from New Orleans might have been to the area in the past. Why not send a crew who has background knowledge of the area and its intrinsic "interesting" little quarks? Of course this makes sense...and I am beginning to believe the joke I used to tell about "no I can't run for office, I have common sense"...which I hate saying
    This we do so others may live

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by ElChup175
    A very good point has been brought up in this...why not shift a local response team (like one that is an hour away) into an area instead of shifting an out of the area team in...I am not talking about specially trained persons (unless they are local as well) because the locals know the area, you maybe an hour away, but still, I am an hour away from cleveland, I mean I have been to cleveland many times, as well as someone who lives an hour away from New Orleans might have been to the area in the past. Why not send a crew who has background knowledge of the area and its intrinsic "interesting" little quarks? Of course this makes sense...and I am beginning to believe the joke I used to tell about "no I can't run for office, I have common sense"...which I hate saying
    It's great that they're bringing in all these specialty USAR teams from all over the country, but all they really need is someone who can drive a boat....most of these people don't need to be dug out or disentagled, they just need someone to come out and get them off the roof.....That doesn't take a hell of a lot of skill....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I totally agree...I mean what is FEMA going to ask next...that you have a doctorate to pilot a helicopter...I know that it doesn't take someone that is USAR certified to pilot a boat, yes, a few people might need technical rescue, but most people need a man with an axe to cut a hole in the roof, and someone else in the boat to make sure it doesn't float away while the rescued persons climb aboard...thats it. I hope that this situation gets better because I would hate to be one of those technical rescue guys and get stuck down for more than a month (or well past the stage of burnout) because FEMA had a brain fart...well...an extension of the current brain fart

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnjfire
    Ive got myself and another guy READY TO GO. Two Volunteer Firefighters from New jersey.

Both firefighter 1 certified, ics, hazmat awareness, i am a former EMT, he is a iraq vet.
    Yes, there are others here in NNJ and the NYC area that are ready/willing to go down... many of us are aware of the FEMA/DHS request for non-operational work, but as pointed out that'll likely be 'down the road' when all we keep hearing is about the help needed now.

Any other requests/processes underway?

MembersZone Subscriber

FEMA and DHS are a joke right now, both are run by clowns with no disaster experience at all. Brown with FEMA used to enforce rules with a horse association. I watched on the news last night how NO firefighters have been working straight through. They need relief with operational support it is a slap in the face asking for teams to go down and give out flyers etc. The story about staged equipment sitting because no one asked for it hello common sense should dictate starting the process.
    GFIRE

We are finally on the road.......

On Saturday, 25 members of our Swiftwater Component were deployed to
    Baton Rouge LA. The team left Trenton at approx. 2:30 pm with 8
    vehicles and a NJ DOT mechanic. This is the first NJ resource
    deployed
    to the Gulf States in response to Hurricane Katrina. The team was
    deployed under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact. This
    Compact allows the responders from other states to retain their
    authorities, certifications, liability/immunity protections once
    they leave their home state.

As of 06:30 am on Sunday, the advance unit of the team was in
    Alabama and approx. 3 hrs from Baton Rouge. The convoy with the
    remainder of the personnel were about 3 hours behind the advance
    unit or 6 hours from Baton Rouge. At this point the trip is ahead
    of schedule except for a couple of flat tires on the convoy
    vehicles, which have been repaired. NJ-TF1 is still prepared to
    deploy US&R assets if requested and we are monitoring the requests
    coming from the Gulf States. At this point the primary requests
    have been for Law Enforcement resources and NJ may be sending
    several hundred law enforcement officers to the area in the
    near future.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Thumbs up Firefighter/Medic/Ems response to Katrina

Heres what we found out yesterday about responding. I called all day to the Red Cross, Salvation Army etc. The Salvation Army called back from Baton Rouge and said they were very interested in help. Heres the phone number for them 225-355-4483
    We also got a response from Baton Rouge, LA the operation happening out of LSU (Lousianna State University). Go to LSU website under Katrina Aide for more info. They did ask for a response from my husband a professional FF/Medic and another guy on his department. 225-763-5756
    Here are other numbers we got from the Emergency Prep. line there(225-389-2100):
    225-763-5740
    225-763-5762
    225-935-7500
    225-578-0377 (PMAT)
    225-765-6565 (Hospital)
    225-358-1000 (Hospital)

We left our name and number every where we called and got a call back in about 3 hours from the LSU director guy and this AM heard back from the Sal. Army.
    They ask that you get in contact with them so you can get info about what is needed and where. Plan on bringing copies of your liscenses and credentials. If you go there is more info on www.iaff.org regarding safety and what to bring.
    FF Wife- Karen

Forum Member

DM ...

This just shows how many changes need to occur in the state system of emergency response. We are all the way up here on the TX/ARK border (400 miles from NO) was was contacted by LSU Fire Training on Saturday (before the storm) to send crews starting on Sunday as part of search and rescue task force, yet departments close to the incident, such as yours, are struggling to get to the scene. This situation needs to be cleaned up and the state needs to develop a system to coordinate the response and develop a pre-incident staging system. I do feel that we still need the extremly specialized skills of the USAR teams, but you are correct when you say that most of the "rescues" that occured were simply a matter of loading folks into boats. There were a few instances of where we did have to "extricate" people from the structures, but all of those simply involved manpower and few simple hand tools.

There was actually no shortage of manpower there on our side of the NO area, but there were access issues. More boats were needed, and certainly these could have pre-staged, given that flooding was the most likely rescue scenerio, but that didn't happen. There are many, many resources in this statewide, as well as in eastern TX that are readily available within a relativly short period of time. There are large areas that could be used for prestaging resources from north LA, TX and OK, such as the facilities of recently closed England Air Force Base in Alexandria. It all comes down to developing a system of predicting the most likely resources to be needed, locating resources, contacting those resources and in situations such as this, staging those resources effectivly.
    THIS IS A STATE OEM RESPONSIBILITY .. the feds are a backup not to be expected on scene for at least 72 hours.

Forum Member

Default cut the red tape

does any body know when they will send fire service members.that have filled out all there bull**** paperwork ,my departments had theirs in for 4 days and are ready to go. yet know one from dhs fema or any other org has returned a call. just wondering if it was sitting on someones desk waiting for them to get off vacation

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Michagan Eoc is up and running

Quote Originally Posted by clarksonchief
    does any body know when they will send fire service members.that have filled out all there bull**** paperwork ,my departments had theirs in for 4 days and are ready to go. yet know one from dhs fema or any other org has returned a call. just wondering if it was sitting on someones desk waiting for them to get off vacation
    michigan if you want to help the state has a web site and phone number
    and are calling ems and other to help but yet the whole state of mi is finding the same b.s. from FEMA what a joke. They need help not red tape.duh
    it dose not take much to now that ems and fire ect. need help in the after mate of the storm.
    Last edited by netty36; 09-05-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Administrator

Folks

Remember the 'paperwork' most of you are filling out for the FEMA response teams are COMMUNITY service teams, not front line response efforts.

WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

The state EOC has stated that they are in dire need of fire apparatus, equipment, personnel-paid or volunteer, food, water and gasoline.
    Whoops, edited.
    Last edited by BVFD1983; 09-07-2005 at 12:34 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

THIS IS A STATE OEM RESPONSIBILITY .. the feds are a backup not to be expected on scene for at least 72 hours.
    You hit the proverbial nail right on the friggin' head.

Forum Member

If my memory serves me right GWB declared a state of emergency before the storm actually hit (or something like that) now I don't want to split hairs but does that 72 hours start from when GWB says 'go' or does it start the moment the "all clear" is given to operate in a said area...I mean I can see how some would say its after the "all clear" but most people with common sense would say to themselves "SELF! large amounts of storm surge, I should get some boats prepositioned...SELF! every tree in the area is gonna come down, maybe preposition so rescue, tree removal, 'grunt' units to a) be able to clear trees off of roadways and b) be able to clear trees away from houses to access occupantes inside...SELF! people will be injured, why not position some EMS assests to assist local assets in the post incident 'flood of 911 calls'...and SELF! maybe we should adopt the system of 'its easier to call someone and turn them back than to call them after something took a crap in the bed".

I know **** & moan about the same things, but here goes.

Front page of the Fire Engineering's web site

Hurricane Katrina: USFA Request to Mobilize Fire Service Members
    Washington, D.C. - Our Nation is faced with the most catastrophic natural disaster in modern times, and we are calling upon the Nation's fire service to aid the affected citizens and communities. This is the United States Fire Administration's initial request to mobilize members of the fire service within Federal guidelines.

And now Federal guidelines in case youíve been out in a coma.
    The work is non-operational community relations focused activities that consist of direct outreach to persons in the affected areas. They will assist victims in understanding how they will go about the process of getting Federal assistance, distributing information,ÖÖ

The United States Fire Administration telling us, Our Nation is faced with the most catastrophic natural disaster in modern times. We are calling upon the Nation's fire service to aid the affected citizens and communities.
    Why is it that every agency has to pop up and say something, even if itís babble. Somehow Iíd expect more from the USFA

Lastly
    With all the people who lost homes and jobs why not give then the job of distributing assistance information? The Feds will pay us (who have jobs and a home) and turn around and hand money to the evacuees. I say give these people back a little pride, putíen to work.

Lots of things in the world I donít understand this just adds one more

"Lastly
    With all the people who lost homes and jobs why not give then the job of distributing assistance information? The Feds will pay us (who have jobs and a home) and turn around and hand money to the evacuees. I say give these people back a little pride, putíen to work."

As true as that is and I thought about it myself at first. It is going to take some time before most of these people are together enough to take jobs. They have more important things on their minds right now, where are they going to live , where is their family. The jobs should be available for those who want them however I don't know how many will be able to fill them.

Forum Member

amazing. all of these firemen (paid and volunteer) and no one can get it straight. have a friend of mine outside chicago who showed me how illinois MABAS works. seems to be the best so far, and maybe the california CDF setup too. as stated many times someone dropped the ball. and it seems on ALL levels, but thats another argument. i may go in the next bunch of guys from my job, 5 from my battalion went this time. except for a few nitwits on here, i throw out the paid vollie crap (especially after something like this). days after 9/11, when we were moving the pile with 5 gallon pails (like taking sand off the beach), i handed buckets to a guy who was a vollie outside sacramento california, and later on that night 2 guys from chicago squad 2.

how the hell he got there in 4 days amazed me, but he was working the pile like the rest of us, till the job coodinated efforts with mostly fdny guys. its gonna be tough for everyone, and when i get there i dont care whose helping me or who im helping, were in it together. thats the AMERICAN way, and thats the BROTHERHOOD. good luck to the brothers there and i pray there are NO fatalites. theres been enough...

MembersZone Subscriber

This an email I got forwarded to me a couple of days ago, albeit that it's only concerning LA as far as I can tell...

09/06/2005
    02:24 PM EST
    Tracking Number: 2005-96-SR429Impacted States: ALL STATESDescriptionFIRE - The State of Louisiana thanks the nation's fire service for the outpouring of support. At this time - NO ADDITIONAL RESOURCES ARE REQUIRED. Any previous orders through EMAC for fire service resources are CANCELLED (except for those units that are already on the ground in Louisiana)- Even if you have a completed REQ-A - if the resource is not in Louisiana already, turn them around. POC: Fire Marshal Henry Fry 225-925-4911 EMS/EMT - SAME MESSAGE. POC - Acadian Ambulance 225-925-4911. This catastrophe will take months to recover from and will require additional support from the nation's fire and EMS services. Louisiana will make those requests for support through the EMAC and FEMA channels. Please do not call the POC's to offer assistance at this time. Thanks in advance.Contact:Robert Shilling EMAC Desk

(225) 925-7478
    laemac@ohsep.louisiana.gov
    This notification has been sent via the EMAC website located at http://www.emacweb.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like the Law Enforcement community has it together much better than us.... What the hell/

And I love that last cancellation of assistance email - I hear FEMA and all these agencies saying they have all the help they need, yet every night on TV I hear all these cities and towns crying (literally) because they need help.

http://www.sheriffs.org/docs/SextonK...withNSAPOC.doc
    Last edited by cjennings; 09-07-2005 at 04:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Katrina's "Ground Zero"

Thanks to all who have offered support to our community, and to our neighboring cities. I am the Deputy Chief of the city of Bay St. Louis fire department, a small town about 60 miles from New Orleans on the Mississippi coast. Our city, along with our "sister" cities of Waveland and Pass Christian, make up Katrina's "ground zero". At least 80% of our city has been completely destroyed, and most of our firefighters and law enforcement personnel have lost their homes. Firefighters, law enforcement and other rescue personnel who worked the WTC, Pentagon, Florida hurricanes, as well as those who just left working in New Orleans tell us that none of those disasters hold a candle to what they are seeing here...yet it seems that very little about our devestation is being reported by the media.
    The support our department has received from the fire service and civilians all over the country has been unimaginable. I'm sorry I can't say the same about FEMA, Red Cross (who just arrived in town today), or any other government agencies whose politics and red tape prevented much needed resources from entering our city - even though their medical support, supplies and equipment were staged less than 20 miles from here. We cannot begin to thank all of you enough for your thoughts and efforts...it is the only hope we seem to have of getting through this catastrophe.

Thread Information