Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default If You Have Resources Available for Katrina Deployment

I am going out on a limb here because I can't sit here and watch this any longer. We have been in contact with the Mississippi State EOC as well as the Forrest County, Mississippi EOC. They are in dire need of help and there is a major breakdown of communications between the state and federal agencies. Help is NOT reaching large areas of Mississippi. The state EOC has stated that they are in dire need of fire apparatus, equipment, personnel-paid or volunteer, food, water and gasoline. In order to help the EOC get the information, if you have resources available please list them here. We will forward the information to the EOC and hopefully they can get the ball rolling to get the help on the way. It is time that we show the might that the United States Fire Service has.

Forum Member

Ive got myself and another guy READY TO GO. Two Volunteer Firefighters from New jersey.

Both firefighter 1 certified, ics, hazmat awareness, i am a former EMT, he is a iraq vet.

Can be there in a day. seriously. could possibly have a fire/rescue boat available from Fire dept if needed as well if actually dispatched by a authorized organization.

Guys, your hearts are absolutely in the right place, but there is protocol for sending help into another jurisdiction, much less another state. You probably think I'm a heartless pr*ck for saying this, and yes I would agree that things appear to be a mess, but I speak from experience (on a MUCH smaller scale) that there are important reasons for those protocols. Hang in there until the official request is made.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TCFire
    Guys, your hearts are absolutely in the right place, but there is protocol for sending help into another jurisdiction, much less another state. You probably think I'm a heartless pr*ck for saying this, and yes I would agree that things appear to be a mess, but I speak from experience (on a MUCH smaller scale) that there are important reasons for those protocols. Hang in there until the official request is made.
    i absolutely agree. just getting the info out there though. im starting to wonder if a request is actually going to be made.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TCFire
    No, you're just a regular pr*ck.

IT WAS A JOKE!

If this is anywhere near as ugly as it appears, it will probably be a pretty long term operation. Ya never know when the call may come. And if my comment sounded condescending, that's not how it was intended. Good luck!
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

MembersZone Subscriber

I just want the resources listed so that they can be forwrded to the Mississippi EOC. We are trying to figure out the fastest way to run everything through the channels so that the formal requests can be made. Everything that is moving around is having to be directed through EMAC and from what I have been able to find out here is how that works. You contact your local EMA office with the resources you have available. They will contact the state EMA office and they will contact EMAC with the reources. EMAC will give the affected states copies of the resources that are available to them. The states will tell EMAC what they need and EMAC will complete the loop and get the resources on the way. The problem is that the Mississippi EOCs are not getting the resource lists from EMAC. That is why I am trying to get the resources directly to the EOC. I realize this is a long shot but what do we have to lose. We also found out that FEMA has set up roadblocks throughout Mississippi and are not letting any resources move that have not gone through FEMA. The Mississippi EOC is not even able to move local resources around the state without FEMA giving their blessing.

Well said TC,

Get your bags packed and your affairs in order and wait for the call. Let your administrations know you are available at a moments notice and go on living. If you are needed, requested and authorized, you'll be on your way.

In the mean time, see your doctor, get your shots (Hep A, Tetanus etc...), get some water purification supplies and plenty of "OFF". You will likely be limited to one carry bag.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    No, you're just a regular pr*ck.

IT WAS A JOKE!
    Thanks George....nicest thing anyone's said to me all day (it's been one of those days)!!
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Forum Member

Cool whoa

C'mon TC fire, I think the guys were just trying to plan ahead and make preperations not physically start out. I have to agree the whole thing is a mess and will be for a long time. At least some people are doing some advance planning and organizing.

MembersZone Subscriber

https://www.swern.gov/emergency/asset_index.php

Is online DHS registry.

2man teams with rucksacks are pretty limited in their impact. There a FD in the US that can't provide more substantial equipment support? FEMA has is not making the calls apparently.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was in touch with their state office yesterday, they ARE IN DIRE need, most of their crews are beat, there are only a few people coordinating the effort, getting a hold of anybody to find out what is needed and getting back in touch to tell them you have what they need is the hard part.

The more I am trying to do, the more I see it is communication that is the enemy here. I agree that no one should be self dispatched; this COUNTRY needs to do a better job of making resources available. This is a great opportunity for a management system that all first responders could log into and list their personnel assets and ability to respond. Teams of people could list out all their gear and deployment status for events, then these small counties or state organizations could access this and make the requests right from there. This National IMS system is a great idea, but it is taking way to long. All I hear is people calling for help, and people crying to give it... something is broken in the middle of that chain....
    [FONT=Garamond]Asst. Chief Chris Jennings

Forum Member

Here is a question I have, in case this does come to pass...the federal grants that have been handed out...can the government turn around and call said department to provide the apparatus they paid for in this emergency? I mean it was said that the grants were handed out on an "as needed" basis for terrorism stuff. Also, I am wondering why they are taking "two man teams" to do community relations from fire departments...not to be rude, but almost any tom, dick, or harry could do that, basic first aid...well what if you are trained as a paramedic, does that mean that now, if your sitting next to an IV kit and an AED and someone goes into cardiac arrest all you can do is CPR till your arms fall off? Almost makes me afraid to have anything like that happen here...in that case we might just tell FEMA where to park there shiny black truck...Anyways, onto the resources, we have quite a bit of apparatus and personel in my area, plus we can get it out of here in a hurry if need be...I mean all we have to do is give a little phone call to the air national guard and have them use one of the many C-130's to transport us down south...I mean heck, the air stip is less than 5 miles from my station, makes sense right...but what do I know, I am just a street level firefighter, I don't get a cushy office.
    This we do so others may live

Forum Member

1) Stuff like this needs to be systemized.
    (i.e. how you assemble county-wide task forces for deployment, etc)

2) And stuff that can be systemized like this can be computerized.
    Why in this day and age we rely on fax-machines and telephone calls to figure out whose available I don't know. Sure, in the immediate impact area communications are going to be screwed up. But outside of that area, log in what you have available, and let the 'puter make the decision of whose going and where they're to report to. Have a human eye-ball it, but the bulk of the information processing is a fairly straight forward database application.

Forum Member

Yeah, I agree, why not email this already pre-computerized stuff to FEMA...I would love to be able to, but the systems are not in place, so I am told. Which is why we are in the process of doing this IS700 IS800 stuff at our department...I heard that based on deadlines the "IS system" that is proposed will not be in place for two years...I don't know what sort of impact it would have but I am pretty sure that FEMA does not know that our little volunteer fire deparment has X number of people trained to fire fighter level 2 (or trained to IFSAC level 2 for that matter), that we have X number of EMT's, that we have X number or paramedics, that we have X number or young, single guys who have noone to support but themselves...I am sure that that X number could at least staff an engine or two ambulances...or at least a 6 man rescue company
    This we do so others may live

Forum Member

Default 2-man teams

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    https://www.swern.gov/emergency/asset_index.php

Is online DHS registry.

2man teams with rucksacks are pretty limited in their impact. There a FD in the US that can't provide more substantial equipment support? FEMA has is not making the calls apparently.
    Don't forget what the 2-man teams are for. The are public relation jobs, handing out FEMA forms, LONG after the recovery . I agree that much more is needed NOW, but this 2-man team request is NOT an OPERATIONAL job. It specifies that in the job description. I sincerely hope that tons of other support for the OPERATIONAL phase is requested and put into play, but this appeal has nothing to do with mitigation.

Stay Safe, and pray for our brothers and sisters down there.

BFDCAPT

MembersZone Subscriber

It seems like a waste of trained people to use thies teams handing out paperwork, it seems to me like they should be using them in firefighting and rescue operations. Doing the things that we are trained to do

Quote Originally Posted by Afd063
    I just want the resources listed so that they can be forwrded to the Mississippi EOC. We are trying to figure out the fastest way to run everything through the channels so that the formal requests can be made. Everything that is moving around is having to be directed through EMAC and from what I have been able to find out here is how that works. You contact your local EMA office with the resources you have available. They will contact the state EMA office and they will contact EMAC with the reources. EMAC will give the affected states copies of the resources that are available to them. The states will tell EMAC what they need and EMAC will complete the loop and get the resources on the way. The problem is that the Mississippi EOCs are not getting the resource lists from EMAC. That is why I am trying to get the resources directly to the EOC. I realize this is a long shot but what do we have to lose. We also found out that FEMA has set up roadblocks throughout Mississippi and are not letting any resources move that have not gone through FEMA. The Mississippi EOC is not even able to move local resources around the state without FEMA giving their blessing.
    EMAC was to be a work around of FEMA's red tape BS, But since Bush declared the disaster FEMA has control over everything....We are still waiting on word if we will be deployed or not (talks are on going with state EOC's) But FEMA has it's way and nothing moves!

As for self-dispatch from New Jersey.... I know I'm going to catch for posting the below item, but please be patient and add to the confusion.

State OEM Urges First Responders Not to Leave for
    Hurricane-Affected States Unless Formally Requested

Trenton, NJ - Colonel Rick Fuentes, Superintendent of New Jersey State
    Police and Director of the State Office of Emergency Management, today
    urged New Jersey first responders and other personnel not to depart for
    the states hit by Hurricane Katrina unless those personnel are
    officially mobilized by the State of New Jersey.

"New Jersey's thousands of first responders and rescue personnel are
    extremely dedicated, and we know many are eager to rush down to the Gulf
    Coast to help those communities recover," Fuentes said.

"We commend them for their willingness to help. But unless and until
    they are officially requested through the Emergency Management
    Assistance Compact and mobilized by the New Jersey Office of Emergency
    Management, those personnel should remain where they are."

The states affected by Katrina so far have not requested help from New
    Jersey, though the State Office of Emergency Management has identified
    personnel and rescue equipment that could leave for the Gulf states with
    two hours notification.

If those states do request New Jersey's help via the Emergency
    Management Assistance Compact, the Office of Emergency Management will
    send those responders over in a uniformed and coordinated manner.

Fuentes pointed out that massive rescue efforts such as those now
    underway in the Gulf states can be harmed, rather than helped, when
    rescue workers try to help out without coordinating with the agencies in
    charge.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

September 2, 2005

BY DON BABWIN ASSOCIATED PRESS

A visibly frustrated Mayor Richard M. Daley wondered Friday why the federal government has been slow to provide help to hundreds of thousands of people devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

"The country has to make this, this emergency, the highest priority we've ever had," Daley said. "It would have to go from the president all the way down."

Daley said he offered to send hundreds of emergency workers and dozens of pieces of equipment even before the hurricane hit Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama and only now is hearing back from the Federal Emergency Management Agency-- and all officials have asked for is one tank truck.

"We are just waiting for their call," Daley said.

Daley, speaking at a news conference on the city's efforts to help hurricane victims, said he was "shocked" by the request for a lone truck.

Daley urged residents of Chicago and the rest of the nation to help victims of the hurricane, which hit Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana four days ago.

"The people we see suffering on television are our brothers and sisters," he said.

Chicago is a straight shot south to the Gulf Coast. The city has the resources, the desire and the ability to make a big difference. Why dosent someone take them up on it? I was in Seattle last weekend and even I knew FEMA was already on the scene, pre storm. There is plenty of blame to go around.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Afd063
    I am going out on a limb here because I can't sit here and watch this any longer. We have been in contact with the Mississippi State EOC as well as the Forrest County, Mississippi EOC. They are in dire need of help and there is a major breakdown of communications between the state and federal agencies. Help is NOT reaching large areas of Mississippi. The state EOC has stated that they are in dire need of fire apparatus, equipment, personnel-paid or volunteer, food, water and gasoline. In order to help the EOC get the information, if you have resources available please list them here. We will forward the information to the EOC and hopefully they can get the ball rolling to get the help on the way. It is time that we show the might that the United States Fire Service has.

God bless you for wanting to help, but good luck. We are only an hour away from New Orleans and I have been trying for 4 days to get in there to help. I have been on the phone with more agencies than I can count, trying to find out where we're needed, since they have requested (ordered?) that there be no freelancing. I have left my number with all these agencies, all of whom sound glad to accept the help, they really need us, "We'll have someone get back with you right away". As of yet, after 4 days, I have yet to receive a call. I call them back to let them know the offer still stands, I'm still waiting to hear from someone, but nothing yet. Very frustrating.

They put out a plea for anyone with boats about 2 days after the storm. My assistant chief and his brother loaded up and drove down there immediately. They were turned around at a roadblock and told to go home....They put out another plea for buses and drivers to transport evacuees. Many school bus drivers, not having to run their routes this week because all the local schools are still out, responded to the call. They were never allowed to get anywhere near New Orleans and returned home never having transported anybody.

I briefed my guys on Wednesday and told them to pack their supplies and gear, sit tight, and wait for the call, that we would respond once we knew where to go and had an assignment, because that's the way it's "supposed" to be done.

Meanwhile, they are flying teams in from all over the country and even one from Canada that I've heard of, so it still sounds to me like they are desperate for responders, and here we sit an hour away with bags packed (even with our own boats, for God's sake) and they just don't seem to need us.

I understand we are a small volly department and we can only spare about a half a dozen guys, little specialized equipment (besides boats, everybody down here has a boat), and just basic fire, rescue, and First Responder training.....we're not a big resource so I can see why they haven't bothered to call back. But when the city of Chcago, who are probably willing and able to send a hundred guys and tons of equipment, and all they ask for is one lousy truck....You have to wonder what the hell they're thinking.....
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 09-03-2005 at 06:56 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information