Forum Member

Default New Orleans mayor ****ed

Canís say I blame him, Fox news is still reporting 1000 people still trapped on the I-10 with no help.

September 02, 2005 08:42 PM ET
    New Orleans mayor castigates federal government

The mayor of New Orleans made an impassioned plea for help on Friday as tens of thousands of people remained stranded in the flooded city. Ray Nagin, in a radio interview, said: "I need reinforcements. I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. Now get off your asses and fix this. Let's do something and let's fix the biggest goddam crisis in the history of this country."
    He castigated the government's failure to help those stranded in the city by Hurricane Katrina, echoing a mounting wave of criticism of the slow federal response to a long-predicted catastrophe.
    The tabular content relating to this article is not available to view. Apologies in advance for the inconvenience caused.
    "This is a national disaster," he said. "Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get it here to New Orleans."
    The mayor's outburst came as David Vitter, Republican senator from Louisiana, claimed as many as 10,000 people could have died.
    Fleets of buses to transport the refugees and military trucks filled with water and other critical supplies yesterday finally made their way into the city four days after the hurricane struck, causing massive damage and lethal floods.
    President George W. Bush, who flew to Alabama, Mississippi and New Orleans, earlier admitted the response to Katrina was "not acceptable". He said before leaving Washington: "We'll get on top of this situation and we're going to help the people that need help."
    Mr Bush defended the federal government's response. "There's a lot of aid surging toward those who've been affected. Millions of gallons of water. Millions of tons of food," he said. "If it's not going right, we've got to make it go right."

Forum Member

Yes, the mayor without a plan. A whole lot full of flooded schoolbuses that never turned a wheel. The mayor that was so busy that he had his face in front of any camera he could find. Considering how badly he dropped the ball, I don't think that he ought to be throwing any stones.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldman21220
    Yes, the mayor without a plan. A whole lot full of flooded schoolbuses that never turned a wheel. The mayor that was so busy that he had his face in front of any camera he could find. Considering how badly he dropped the ball, I don't think that he ought to be throwing any stones.
    Yeah, little late for him to be crying for help now. There is a whole lot more history behind this event than we will ever know.

Forum Member

How would any of these Rescue Problems be the mayor's ?..... weren't people were told to leave prior to the storm ? Yes ....so why are there people floating dead, thousands in stadiums and convention centers not to mention people trapped on Interstate Highways that now go no where. The order from the mayors office should have been simple and point blank....."If you choose to stay no one will guaruntee your safety...."

I personnaly know this.....Watching the weather channel and all and knowing a Hurricane of this magnitute had the potential of wiping me out.....Even if I had to Walk to higher ground I would have been gone days before this tragedy struck.....Why so many dead, missing, injured, committing crime, looting ???? It simply isn't nessesary.

Forum Member

The rescues are the mayors problem because he is ultimately responsible for the entire city. All those buses flooded and parked that could be moving people right now, should have been used to evacuate before. The more that comes out about this, the more it is realized that the local and state OEM's dropped the ball. I take that back, they threw the frikin thing over the fence. Should the fed's have been in sooner, hell yeah. But who should have called for them. I can't blame only the local's however. It should have been realized earlier that the local and state officals are morons. Push aside not stepping on toes and waiting until they say they are strapped. Go in and tell them that they need help and they are going to get it. I know that goes against most all logic, but the plain fact is that it was obvious from the begining of the day after the storm hit that these people had way more than they could handle and help is needed. Yet, now in the 6th day here we all sit waiting to help. That is the fault of the fed.s. A lot of blame to go around. Yes I blame the people that did not evacuate it they were capable. I blame the fed.s . But most of all it is on the State Gov. and the NO Gov..

Forum Member

Placing blame is not getting help for the people who need it. Instead of sitting and arguing who is at fault for this, that and the other thing, why not find a productive way to contribute?

Sure people were warned to leave, and people were told how severe the storm was going to be........ some didn't leave and now they need help. Blaming isn't helping.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

FEMA Requesting Help from Nation's Volunteer Fire Service
    Call Now For Career and Volunteer Fire Responders for 1,000 2-Person Community Outreach Teams.

Well IT'S ABOUT TIME

NO it's not all the mayor he asked for help from the gov. and the Feds. Put the blame right where it belongs on FEMA. Good God we watch TV and have a better idea whatís going on than the head of FEMA.

New Orleans Bravest in 'Bad Shape'
    Minimal Accountability, Firefighters Missing and Target of Violence, Homes Destroyed

Firehouse.Com News has been able to contact a New Orleans firefighter for two brief conversations. Other then his POV, this firefighter has lost everything he owns including his home located in the flooded area of the city.
    He says the fire department is in bad shape right now. Many of the firefighters, both off and on duty, are missing and there is no real accountability system. The fire department has pulled out of New Orleans and retreated to the suburbs of Algiers across the Mississippi where they are under the protection of armed National Guardsmen and many of the firefighters are carrying guns themselves.
    Many of the firefighters have had their lives threatened by armed civilians while they were battling fires and trying to assist them. At the Bourbon and Canal Streets fire, they were looting the buildings directly adjacent to the fire building and with no regard to the work going on there. He is carrying both of his handguns.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by BD6413
    The order from the mayors office should have been simple and point blank....."If you choose to stay no one will guaruntee your safety...."
    I've been watching this thing since way before the storm arrived, and at every level, state and local officials said almost EXACTLY that....Obviously, many did not listen.

Actually, watching the endless stream of traffic going through my little town last Saturday and Sunday, I was impressed with how many people DID take the evacuation seriously.

Often, people are their own worst enemy...you cannot always protect people from themselves and their own bad decisions.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Exclamation City fathers rolled the dice and lost.

The mayor and the city rolled the dice and loss.How much overtime and fuel would it of cost to moved all available buses in the city prior to the storm to high ground.City buses and local school buses could have been used to moved people without transportation out of the city.This sounds great now!Why didn't the mayor order this?

BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this had been done and levee system had not failed.The waste to tax payers would have been the issue in the next city election.I hope that congress gives approval for a grant for crystal balls.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Question Fyi

Just so you guys know. The Mayor maybe mad. But they knew about this storm before she hit on Mon am. And they could of done something to get some of those ppl out of there. And all this they should do this or do that should stop. Do it and get over it and move on you cant do nothing about what happen yesterday so start working towards a better tomorrow. We lost not only ppl there but gas and oil lines that help feed this country gas and oil . I seen the news .. and once again what happen yesterday is over work for a better tomorrow and thank GOD your alive and have a way to make things better for yourself. They are looting in the streets there. Raping-Killing and doing lots of other things. Do what ya can for these ppl get them out but most of all PRAYER is the POWER to make the world go round and wit PRAYER you life can move forward
    TC PPL and bless the ppl that do think about the 1's that suffer.. Weather its here somewhere else
    LaMeidcsWife
    Louisiana home of the Gulf Coast and lots of Swamps

Forum Member

Every level of goverment screwed this up from the mayor on up to the state and the feds. I will grant them that this is the biggest natural disaster ever to hit this country and with that will be some chaos. But it was a miserable failure from before the storm hit and continued for 6 days afterwards. Like others have said, what were they doing all day on Sunday when they could have been bussing people from their homes to the shelters in the city or straight out of the city?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

How many people at the superdome and convention center would still be alive if the MAYOR had made sure they were adiquatly supplied with food, water, and medical supplies and professionals?

Why isn't anybody asking for HIS head over that? Those people arn't dead because the federal government didn't get there fast enough, they're dead becasue the MAYOR screwed the pooch and was more concerned about getting his black *** out of the city without ANY regard for his citizens.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Three types of people SPECTRE08

Why isn't anybody asking for HIS head over that? Those people arn't dead because the federal government didn't get there fast enough, they're dead becasue the MAYOR screwed the pooch and was more concerned about getting his black *** out of the city without ANY regard for his citizens.[/QUOTE]

Intelligent people talk about ideas

Smart people talk about events

Ignorant people talk about people

You would be the last one: I pray you never get hired as a full time REAL professional firefighter, I won't have to worry you can't pass a test

P.S GWB actually admitted mistakes were made. Thats a first
    Last edited by brianmark; 09-04-2005 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Left out wording
    workharder

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brianmark
    Ignorant people talk about people

P.S GWB actually admitted mistakes were made. Thats a first

pot, kettle, black?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    pot, kettle, black?
    Nope, Pot, Kettle, White
    workharder

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brianmark
    Nope, Pot, Kettle, White
    that doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

I pray you never get hired as a full time REAL professional firefighter,
    Kinda like this. So federal firefighters arn't real firefighters?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Just back from NO ....

If anyone is too blame for some of the issues ..it is the mayor. They knew that they were going to have at least 100,000 that would refuse to evacuate or be unable to evacuate(this was identified in the Hurricane Plan developed in 2002), yet very few provisions were made by the locals to STOCK the buildings they identified as places of refuges with supplies or equip them with generating capability. In addition, the city had no real plan to staff these facilities with EMS and law enforcement personel. I don't think they envisioned the period of time these areas would be isolated, even though the plan stated that they should be self sufficaint for a period up to 72 hours. There also seemed to be no real plan for evacuation ... why weren't buses called for when it was obvious the storm would track near NO on Saturday? There also seemed to be little or no attempt to use regional resources in the evacation effort.

On the state level the response needed help, though there actually were a fair number of resources there, according to our crews that arrived Monday afternoon. One of the the major issues was a lack of access .. none from the north .. very limited from the east and boat only from the west. There was no access from the south, as that area was under 10-15' of water.

If anyone should take the hit it's the mayor, as well as the state. it's not so much Blanco, but the whole state system neds to be modified. There needs to be a specific plan ans system for deploying and pre-staging available state resources and possibly 2-3 stockpiles of stragetic supplies in south LA with a system to transport those resources (maybe tractor trailers driven by state highway drivers). Immediate response is not a federal issue ..unfortunatly the politicans, media and many citizens don't understand the system.

Forum Member

I've been saying all along that this would have been much less of a cluster-cluck for 5 days if it wasn't so bungled by the city to begin with. Lets think about this...

If they had used all those buses and brought people from their homes to the shelters, then all those air-sea rescue resources pulling people off their rooftops could have been airlifting supplies in and people out. Instead, every helicopter with a winch from 100 miles was busy plucking the people the city abandoned off their roof-tops.

Now, all those people at the shelters were left to fend for themselves. They are angry and distraught. The criminals were all let loose since there was no plan for them. All the stores with firearms were left to be looted instead of taking the armermant out of the city as well. Now there is rampant crime. But again, we are still using all resources to pull people off their rooftops and don't really have time to start sniping the bad guys. Total anarchy results.

Was FEMA slow in many aspects, probably and they should be held accoutnable for the errors. However, the situation that was presented to the state and federal personel was way beyond what it should have been thanks to the mayor and his morons.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default FEMA responders wanted

What's up everybody? I'm new here...this is in response to FEMA's call for 1,000 two man teams to respond to New Orleans. These guys are going to be doing outreach work, handing out paperwork in communities. I think this is an insult to my being a professional FF. I've heard constant reports from NO that those guys out there have about had it! They've been working round the clock with very little equipment, food, water and sleep. The only reason FEMA is using FF's is that they're background checks have already been done by being in the fire service. I know it takes alot to sit back and bite the bullet, stay put and wait til we're called...I'm good to go! Take care guys...be safe.

Thread Information