Forum Member

http://www.give.org/

A website maintained by the Better Business Bureau. This site tells EXACTLY where each cent goes thats given to any charity that reports to them (including Red Cross, United Way, Salvation Army, etc....) They have links on where to donate for Katrina relief, and score each charity, as well as displays their persentages or overhead etc. It's a great site, would deff. recommend viewing it before deciding who to give your hard earned money too.
    ~*Chris McCown*~
    FireFighter / Rescue Sergeant / NREMT-P

Forum Member

I am going to try to get our FF's Association to donate to a FD down there or at least to the NVFC....... I think they need a whole lot of help and won't see it for awhile coming from the FEDS or anywhere else....... I prefer to support our own, first........... Then the people who didn't want to heed the warnings to get out....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Exclamation

Good deal.
    Last edited by chipjumper; 06-19-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chipjumper
    Not giving one penny toward God's work. Let them clean up after their own MAN MADE DISASTER!

The problem there is that the city does not lie after what Mother Nature left behind a week ago but after what started to happen 40 years ago. The degredation of mankind and the absence of morals has resulted in what we watch on tv today. The failure for government from the ground up (beginning at the family level) to work AT ALL has created this cesspool before and after.

No use cryin' over spilt milk. Just bitch about who's gonna clean it up!

KILROY WAS HERE
    You really must have been hittin the sauce tonight........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Permanently Removed

I think I'd probably give to the Red Cross before I contributed to Helping Our Own. Not to downplay the fact that many FD's have been affected, but this is not 9/11 where the biggest loss and focus of media coverage was the 343+ firefighters who were killed in those attacks.

This is a natural disaster that has leveled entire cities and displaced well over 500,000 people and killed god knows how many. While there are no doubt FD's, firefighters, and firefighter's familys that have been affected, I would rather help on a grander scope!

As for this rubbish:

"Not giving one penny toward God's work. Let them clean up after their own MAN MADE DISASTER!

The problem there is that the city does not lie after what Mother Nature left behind a week ago but after what started to happen 40 years ago. The degredation of mankind and the absence of morals has resulted in what we watch on tv today. The failure for government from the ground up (beginning at the family level) to work AT ALL has created this cesspool before and after.

No use cryin' over spilt milk. Just bitch about who's gonna clean it up!

KILROY WAS HERE?"

I'm with firenresq77...you had to be hammered when you wrote this!

While there is no doubt some bad planning to blame for a small part of this disaster...you sound like that dickhead leading Al-Qaida who was quoted as saying "this is God's retirbution on the ills of the United States"

As far as I'm concerned that's the same as ****ing on the flag

Forum Member

Only sauce I hit is A-1.

The reference to "God's work" can be replaced with "Mother Nature" for you religious freaks.

Forum Member

Guys
    I believe that ALL the charities need our help, and which one you support is of course, up to you.
    As for direct dept help, I agree that many need basic life support supplies for now, then Basic firefighting gear and equip next.
    We have several poor depts signed up from down in that area and know there are many more that will need help.
    Helping Our Own, Inc is putting together a trailer load of mainly turnouts plus some other gear BUT, there arent enough funds to get it there yet. It is coming in slowly because most people are donating to the Red Cross, Salvation Army etc. and I am speaking on my behalf, Not HOO when I say that I agree the first priorities should be water, food ,clothing etc. THEN whatever the depts need to be able to help their folks. I hope it can be going on at the same time as the other relief supplies but if they dont have anything to drink or eat then turnouts wont help. It is going to take an effort on everyones part to get through this.
    If the funds would come in, Helping Our Own could be running hundreds of trailer loads of gear and equipment to hundreds of departments down there.
    It is a shame that all that gear and equipment is just sitting in firehouses all over the USA when it could be put into front line service by departments that dont have even Basic gear.
    Helping Our Own has the contacts and knows where ton after ton of this gear is at but when there is NO budget and NO funds, its hard to get it moved !
    Just remember, for every Dollar donated to H.O.O., AT LEAST $10 worth of gear can be distributed to the neediest departments.
    If we can outfit many of these depts, then they can be a bigger help to themselves and their neighbors.
    There is a link on the HOO website to donate if you so desire....
    Asst Chief Tyler Sitzer
    Weiner Fire & Rescue Dept, Weiner , ARK &
    Ark Coordinator for Helping Our Own, Inc. www.helpingourown.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Religious remarks aside, he voiced his opinion for his reasons. Regardless of his state of mind when he posted, agree or disagree. Discuss it if you want.
    I disagree with him, because I believe that regardless of the cause/root of the problem, some people have found themselves there who had no choice.
    Help them or don't, but don't judge the ones who do or who don't.
    Another thread that could die an early death...
    Or is that the plan?
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 09-05-2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: omission
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

does your local church have affiliations that you can trust,
    rather than these " professional do gooders" who always have their
    hand caught in the cookie jar..?

www.schackdaddy.com

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to agree with the original post. I did not give to the Red Cross However I did make a worthwhile contribution elsewhere.

I have to disagree with Deputy Marshall about the 9 out of every 10 dollars going to the victims That is just not the case. The overhead costs for the Red Cross are just to high. And in some cases they refuse to release figures on their operational vs administrative costs.

The money they took in under the premise that it would go to the WTC Victims and Families and ongoing support - compared to what they actually gave back is not even close to 9 out of 10.

Do I believe the Red Cross to be a viable relief organization - ABSOLUTELY

They need to get out of the make-up room, off the podium off all the news interviews and out to the people.

A little Less blowing their own horn and back to the steet would be a good first step.

THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT I WANT TO MAKE IS TO GIVE TO SOMEBODY!!!
    Last edited by osfd100; 09-08-2005 at 03:23 PM.

Forum Member

Yesterday, I flipped from local news to Fox to CNN to MSNBC for about half hour total. Maybe it was just me, but I saw quite a few images with Red Cross people and/or vehicles behind the reports handing out food/water/supplies.

Although, I'm sure some people will think they were carrying the news crews around just so they could get some good publicity shots.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I understand of the situation, the Red Cross was ready to respond to Katrina, but FEMA wasn't ready for the Red Cross. At least, that's what the head of the Red Cross was saying today on the news.
    And the Army basically took over for the Red Cross in the early hours of the Convention Center by providing food and water for evacuees.
    At least, that's what the Army was saying on the news today.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Thanks Bob, I probably could have stated my position a bit differently. What they do, they do well. I just want to make a difference directly to somone in need, not have my donation go toward paying the Executive Salaries.......
    Both are good ideas, I too appreciated the Red Cross at the Pentagon the evening of 9-11. After a day of protien bars and water their hot chicken dinner was great. However I also like the idea of getting stuff to our own, my group and I have gone shopping for clothes and other stuff "even T-shirts and sweats which we all wear around the station" anything we as firefighters may have lost in the Hurricane, you know the necessities and also the creature comforts. We are having them delivered to some of the Brothers down there. Who best to shop for firefighters than firefighters.

Forum Member

i have a huge problom with giving anything to the red cross, after 911, they did not use the money for what it was intended to be used for. The red cross actually hoarded the money, and until they were forced to give it up they didnt!!! i personally like the idea of giving from one firefighter to another. Atleast you know that they will get the stuff. This is just ones opinion.

Forum Member

Heres my 2 cents, even though this topic has kinda been everywhere. All I have to say is that im not anti red cross, but I think since we are firefighters,emts etc., we should focus our money and efforts on helping our fellow brothers and sisters. Let the public give to the red cross, there are several ways that have been mentioned here that would help fire departments and their members directly.

Forum Member

What about those of us offended by Kanye West's racist rant about the President not caring about blacks?Can we stop giving after we've helped load a couple ambualnces for a local service and donated their change from buying groceries at WalMart(and other stores)?
    I was appalled that the Red Cross hadn't said anything(that I've heard at least)about how Mr.West doesn't represent the views of the Red Cross.
    President Bush has declared the areas hit by the hurricane to be disaster areas even before that bliffer hit them.
    What else could he have done when the Governor of Louisiana and the Mayor of NOLA didn't ask for more until AFTER the storm turned out to hit harder than they expected.
    All I've seen from those two are exaggerations(sp?) that are being aired without checking.
    Maybe I'm wrong but the President is not personally responsible for storm damage to an area.Neither is the Mayor or Governor,but when they don't use resources at hand to do what they can to evacuate people that cannot afford to bug out on their own,they shouldn't be getting on TV to gain ratings at the President's expense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100
    I have to disagree with Deputy Marshall about the 9 out of every 10 dollars going to the victims That is just not the case. The overhead costs for the Red Cross are just to high. And in some cases they refuse to release figures on their operational vs administrative costs.
    I'm not going to get into a protracted discussion on this but, if you look into it seriously, you'll find it to be true. As a very large, high profile, non-profit, the ARC gets scrutinized pretty closely and their books get reviewed by numerous outside sources.

The money they took in under the premise that it would go to the WTC Victims and Families and ongoing support - compared to what they actually gave back is not even close to 9 out of 10.
    It depends on what you mean by "going to the families". If, as some would have it, you only consider money handed to victims in cash, you're undoubtedly correct. If, OTOH, you look at cash and services provided to 9-11 victims, you would be wrong.

They need to get out of the make-up room, off the podium off all the news interviews and out to the people.
    I just got back yesterday from 2 1/2 weeks providing health services in Red Cross shelters in Louisiana where I was one of literally thousands of Red Cross staffers in LA alone. The Red Cross was "out of the make-up room" three days before Katrina made landfall and has been heavily involved in supporting Katrina's victims ever since.

I'm not claiming that response to this disaster has been perfect, but there's no question that the Red Cross is working very hard and is very much getting "out to the people".

THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT I WANT TO MAKE IS TO GIVE TO SOMEBODY!!!
    Amen to that!
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default posh offices? :O

Hi! Your friendly local Red Cross type guy here. :-)

Where are these posh offices that I hear of?
    Our local chapter was built before WWII was over and it's starting to show. :|

I help staff as many First Aid stations as I can with the Red Cross and I really enjoy working with them... but I digress..

http://www.charitynavigator.org has good information on charities.

Forum Member

I ran calls with my Red Cross chapter's local disaster team for
    10 years before (re) joining the fire service . Disaster relief and sheltering operations give you an entirely unique perspective of the effects of fires and other disasters on people and their families.

The Red Cross volunteers that I had the experience of working with were as dedicated to their job(s) as any volunteer firefighter I have met. Given the scope of the American Red Cross duties- some of which are congressionnaly mandated- one could understand the need for paid staff to direct and coordinate these operations-and for the organization to provide decent salaries to retain quality personnel.

We , in the fire service could take some lessons from this wonderful organization . There are nationally mandated training courses to serve as a Disaster Team Member - designed to be reasonable and accessible to the volunteer . They have had a nationwide mutual aid system in place for decades .

I truly enjoyed my Red Cross experience , and recommend that,
    if you get the opportunity, check them out. They are good people , and they help make our job at least , somewhat easier.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Red Cross steals and sells

As a member of the fire services, i must say i appreciate the work that the red cross does for the community, but i also wonder who it is costing. While unloading supplies at our church, we got a truck in that had nothing but trash bags full of clothes. When we asked where the tools went ( the sender told us she was sending pallets of chainsaws, shop vacs, rakes, shovels, saws, etc), the driver said he was directed to a local outlet mall. The red cross rep there told the driver that he was at the wrong location, and the materials were not meant for the RC, but then proceeded to take everything on pallets out of the truck. In a seperate incident, representatives from the red cross showed up at the church and upon seeing some things we had for children asked if they could have them, then said they would take them back to their set-up and sell them. So yes, the redcross does good work, but they are slightly crooked.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbig7877
    As a member of the fire services, .... So yes, the redcross does good work, but they are slightly crooked.
    So, as a good honest member of the fire service, I'm sure you followed up on these alleged incidents with the Red Cross to find out what was going on?

Sorry, but while I don't doubt the fact there are probably dishonest individuals within the Red Cross -- just like the fact the fact that there are dishonest individuals within the fire service -- your post comes across more like a troll than anything else.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Deputy Marshall et al,

I have stayed out of this to date, for my own reasons. I am torn on the Red Cross issue. The people at the local chapter are, in my view, great. Very dedicated, upstanding people. I thank and support them for what they do. But, I do have a problem with the Red Cross, a very large problem. It has to do with their blood banking.

Now, maybe it is just my area, but I feel they are dishonest and wrong in it here. They don't supply any of the local hospital, but continue to have blood drives here, even actively advertising for them. I know of one drive in the area where they were giving away a big screen TV. Pretty big ticket item as a gift for a unit of blood. The collections staff has led people to believe that their blood will be used locally, when in fact, it is shipped out. Many donors have expressed anger to me for the deceit of the ARC Blood Banking unit. They are even more angry when they find out the blood they donated went to another state, while we, the supplier locally, had to bring blood in.

My view of the ARC went down after the 9-11 fiasco. It went down even further with my experiences with their blood banking unit. While I support the local chapter, and its people, I cannot in good conscience donate to the ARC. I believe that the actions of the blood banking unit show a dishonest nature amongst those in power in the ARC, and that was illustrated by the Feds taking over control of that unit. If I was assured the money either stayed local or went to do the good work, I would support them. As it is, the ARC needs a shakeup from the top down. I understand that you, and a lot of other very dedicated volunteers and local people do very good, vital work, and I applaud, and thank you, for it. Unfortunately, your good work can be overshadowed by the wrongs committed by others in that organization.
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

MembersZone Subscriber

Were the United Nations running the blood bank, there would be a "blood for food" scandal.
    With large organizations, it is easy for a few very bad people to commit their fraud and escape detection. But eventually, their greed overloads their brain and they do something dumb that gets them caught.
    With the sheer size of the Katrina/Rita disaster, there will be buttloads of fraud. The only way we can slow it is to prosecute to the fullest extent allowed by law, each and every time it is discovered. Banning contractors for life if they are caught committing fraud seems fair. Fines, restitution and jail should be the minimum.
    The only people are willing to roll the dice is because in the U.S., the upside is very profitable and the downside is negligible.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

I gave money to the RED CROSS.
    Why??? Because the RED CROSS helps many people. It is a huge organization and it takes money to get in place to help. The RED CROSS was there during 9/11/01 and helped many people that need help. Please don't turn your backs to them. Who else will help??? Who has the resources to HELP right away???

The American Red Cross

Food and Shelter $513 million
    When Hurricanes Katrina and Rita threatened the Gulf Coast states, Red Cross disaster relief workers were preparing hundreds of evacuation shelters. The organization pre-positioned supplies including kitchens, pre-packaged meals and emergency response vehicles (ERVs). At the height of the relief effort, the Red Cross served more than 995,000 meals in a single day. In six remarkable weeks, a record 20 million meals and 13 million snacks were served to hurricane survivors located in 27 states and the District of Columbia. The Red Cross has distributed hundreds of thousands of clean-up kits and comfort-kits that contain personal-hygiene items.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 10-16-2005 at 09:10 PM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40