Forum Member

Default Painting Leather Helmets?

My Dept. issued helmet is in need of replacement. I have been looking to just get my own, of the more traditional style, because the modern style (which is what the dept. issues) isnt really to my taste. Alot of people get the 1010, and then just have it painted black when they are FF1 certified. If I were to get a leather New Yorker in Red, could I have it painted black in a few years?

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by firekid1234
    My Dept. issued helmet is in need of replacement. I have been looking to just get my own, of the more traditional style, because the modern style (which is what the dept. issues) isnt really to my taste. Alot of people get the 1010, and then just have it painted black when they are FF1 certified. If I were to get a leather New Yorker in Red, could I have it painted black in a few years?
    Yes you can. I've repainted my 10 year old leather lid three times. Basically, I just sanded it down, put on a high temp primer, and sprayed it with high temp engine paint. It looked as good as new each time. You can do a search here on leather helmets and come up with a few threads on repainting leather helmets.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a link for repainting a cairns helmet (this is the manufacturer's way)
    http://www.norcalfools.com/files/Cai...her_Helmet.htm
    or you could have these guys do it
    http://www.signal50.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    Here is a link for repainting a cairns helmet (this is the manufacturer's way)
    http://www.norcalfools.com/files/Cai...her_Helmet.htm
    or you could have these guys do it
    http://www.signal50.com/

As retarded as this is going to sound, I would not recommend the manufacturers way. The use Shermin Williams wall paint for gods sake!!

I advise the other way, as I have done myself on several occasions. Sand, primer, hi-temp paint. Lasts much longer.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

the 4-1-4

The best way to change the color of a leather helmet is to have it bead-blasted and dyed.
    Sanding the surface would probably be fine as well, but paint seals the leather, with it sealed, the leather can't breathe. The chance of your helmet developing dry rot will increase. It's just all around better for your helmet in the long run, to have it dyed.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess Cairns is wrong then. I do agree that Sherman Williams paint may not be needed as they probably have a contract with Cairns to use them. But the steps for repainting? Why would a company lie when they could easliy be sued if it were not the correct or manufacturers way of doing the repaint?

Thread Information