Forum Member

Default FEMA Authorized Max Amounts for purchases

I know I saw a post somewhere, but cant find it.
    Does someone have the list of maximum amounts that FEMA is funding for various items?

THANKS!
    Jeremy (bigj164019) - FireFighter-I/Paramedic
    Fraternal Order of Paramedics Society
    Member Firehouse.com I.A.C.O.J. EMS Bureau

"Live for today, because yesterdays are over, and tomorrows may never come"!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There isn't a list availabe, it's unofficial in the sense that people have been posting the amounts that their items have been reduced to. For example:

Bunker coat & pants - $1300
    Coat, pants, boots, helmet, gloves, hood - $1900
    4500psi SCBA w/1 spare bottle - $4800
    Thermal Imager - $10,000
    Brush Truck - $125K
    Class A Pumper (basic) - $225K
    Pumper/Tanker (w/extras) - $300K
    75' ladder - $450K
    100' ladder - $550K
    Add $150K-200K to the above for quints.

There are more limits, but they don't tell anyone because they want you to be checking for competitive pricing prior to putting in the application.

MembersZone Subscriber

I received $5,000 per SCBA - 2216 30 minute w/ spare cylinders and $4,000 each for 2 RIT Bag set ups. I originally asked for $5,500 for each SCBA and had it reduced.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Thanks, anyone have funding amounts on a 3 stage cascade?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Trailer mounted were somewhere in the neighborhood of $65K, that's what one client had their request reduced to last year. It depends on features on each of these items too. Trucks, trailer-mounted equipment can all vary in price depending on what is put on them. So a cascade trailer can have a generator and other things put on it for added benefit, so the limit won't apply. A station mounted, probably not too many bells and whistles, so they all will probably fall within a small range anyway.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

How about stationary cascade?

Forum Member

We got are system two rounds ago... $110000 bauer system.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

When I spoke with FEMA last spring, they stated that $2000.00 was allotted for complete PPE (bunker coat, pants, suspenders, boots, helmet, hood & gloves)

They recently let us know they would only allow $7,500 for a quantitative fit test machine.

Last year, they gave us $40,000 for an in-station SCBA compressor/cascade system.

MembersZone Subscriber

FYI...an EMS organization I wrote for got two computer systems. I for each ambulance. The systems will allow for wireless transmission between the ambulance and the hospital of vitals, status ect... We wrote for one of the "toughbook" type PC's, and along with the software, modems ect....our quote came to $6900 per pc...ODP sent a reduction and said the max per PC was $5000. Kinda puts us in a pinch, so we talked to them and they said that was the max. I think we'll be able to get around it by finding the toughbooks either on ebay, or we'll purchase two refurbs...

MembersZone Subscriber

Based on an e-mail we received late Saturday afternoon, it looks like a $2,000 cap on full turnout and $3,000 on accountability system. We replied with a request that the narrative be reviewed for the accountability system, because the project was to put PASS devices on every firefighter on the scene, whether or not on air, and integrate with an electronic control. Used Grace's T-PASS 3 as the model, and referenced AEL item 4.4 for any additional information. Sent the reply last night (sunday) after we met at the station for a quick strategy session.
    To the Gurus--does that sound like the right response on our part, and should we follow that with a phone call on Tuesday?? Thanks for any input you can offer.
    earl

Forum Member

Can Anyone recommend a good quality 3 stage cascade with some ballpark prices?

Forum Member

bump PLEASE

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Sorry, I'm fresh out of pricing on these. Ours is a 4 stage. I know to add the Bauer 4-stage to our rescue truck's cascade was $35K 3 years ago for the 35cfm(? can't remember what size), so add another good chunk of change for the larger stationary version with more oomph.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It worked!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2
    Based on an e-mail we received late Saturday afternoon, it looks like a $2,000 cap on full turnout and $3,000 on accountability system. We replied with a request that the narrative be reviewed for the accountability system, because the project was to put PASS devices on every firefighter on the scene, whether or not on air, and integrate with an electronic control. Used Grace's T-PASS 3 as the model, and referenced AEL item 4.4 for any additional information. Sent the reply last night (sunday) after we met at the station for a quick strategy session.
    To the Gurus--does that sound like the right response on our part, and should we follow that with a phone call on Tuesday?? Thanks for any input you can offer.
    earl
    Had an e-mail a few hours ago reinstating a large portion of the reduction. What a relief!! Now we wait for a possible announcement sometime in future. Many thanks are due to everyone on this board--without reading here, i'd have never even guessed that we could request a review. We'd have accepted any offer, and been grateful for the help. We owe y'all!!

Forum Member

Anyone got funding max amounts on Smoke/CO Detectors, "pluggie" robot, laptop computer, and/or video projectors?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

For fireground ops & safety laptops (Toughbooks) were capped at $5K. Smoke/CO are probably $30-50, robots are pretty open since they're a niche market anyway, and projectors are probably the $1500-2000 range. Best Buy has a 2000 lumen XGA projector for $799. I've been looking, I need one for teaching seminars, and that's the best deal I can find. Depending on your estimated size of the room you'll be using is where the lumen rating comes into play. XGA means you can go to max 1400x1050 resolution. Some of the less expensive ones run 800x600, and since I've got bigger monitors I develop in either 1024x768 or 1280x1024. Nothing is more aggravating than making a PPT for one resolution and then getting stuck in another on display.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To add a point my buddy brought up, compare prices on replacement bulbs for projectors before you buy too, as well as the estimated life of them. They used to be a couple hundred hours, but now most are around 2000 hours or so. What could be a good deal up front could be the one with the most expensive bulbs. One of the ones we have at the station uses $400 bulbs. So if one projector costs $200 more up front but uses a bulb that's $100 cheaper, you're better off spending the extra on the projector. Bulbs will eventually get cheaper in the long run, but they certainly aren't now. These aren't your dollar store incandescents, that's for sure.

Forum Member

How about prices on gear washer / extractor?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2
    How about prices on gear washer / extractor?
    We requested $4,000 for a machine, 1,000 for supplies and $3,000 for potential mods-plumbing. It was not an issue in our reduction offer. We have 21 active members, the max may slide up with number of potential turn-outs to wash.
    earl

Forum Member

Just thought I would revive this thread a little as time is getting closer. I'm sure people are going to be asking these same questions.

Forum Member

On the subject, has anyone been successful geting multimedia equipment? I am in the process of designing our new station for multimedia, and wondering if to wait a year to buy the actual equipment. Part of me says that using federal monies to make a home theater system in a firehouse will probably not be a good taste in some mouths. But, I do know the benefits of the equipment for training and debriefing, and could probably make a decent narrative.
    On a related note, what is the success rate for rescue tools for departments wanting to start a rescue?
    BAClair

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4caster
    On the subject, has anyone been successful geting multimedia equipment? I am in the process of designing our new station for multimedia, and wondering if to wait a year to buy the actual equipment. Part of me says that using federal monies to make a home theater system in a firehouse will probably not be a good taste in some mouths. But, I do know the benefits of the equipment for training and debriefing, and could probably make a decent narrative.
    On a related note, what is the success rate for rescue tools for departments wanting to start a rescue?
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding departments intentions or maybe the goal of the whole program, but is as you put it "a home theater system in a firehouse" really what this program was designed for. Trust me, I'm certainly not one of the typical "whiners" that a lot of departments have when they get turned down for a truck grant and XYZ department down the road got awarded for the same thing.
    However, this type of request really sounds like a luxury for a department and not anywhere near a necessity. If a department can't find anything more critically necessary to request in a grant then maybe it would be good to wait a year or two and give some other departments a shot and wait until they need equipment more critical to doing our jobs.
    We did get awarded this year for a new truck and took a reduction with no problem but I would still be quite offended if I were a department trying to replace old, worn out equipment and got a rejection while someone else got new "play toys" for their station.
    I hope I didn't step on any toes here, and that certainly was not my intention. I think I just voiced what many others have thought about projects such as this.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I have to agree with Dellroy that putting in surround sound is a bit over what is needed to put together a training setup. Having done it several times since I used to work at Radio Shack in college, wiring takes about an hour and $30 worth of speaker wire, and surround sound stereos are under $200 nowadays.

The computer equipment has been gotten both in the main AFG, the FP program, and purchased with excess funds under the FP heading. While there have been some given out in the main AFG, training materials like that are not a very high priority at all. Considering that the costs of projectors is now under $700 for a decent one, and computers are deals all over the place at Dell and other such retailers, it would be pretty hard to convince someone that you can't come up with a few bucks to make that happen on your own.

Wrapped up with a entire training package with other manuals, software, etc, that's a better project.

Forum Member

I hope that it did not sound like I was advocating a theater system; I used that term to describe a setup that included a projector and speakers and the like. My opinion is that there are some things that could be justified, such as a computer and training material. It's the "bling" that you'd better not include.
    Away from the grant, et al, what I'm designing for us will be purchased on a personal basis and installed when the deal is right. I am not going to ask the fire department to buy a projector and speaker system when those monies could go somewhere more beneficial. Besides, I could get a better deal waiting around.
    BAClair

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I didn't think you would based on your other posts that I've read, so I knew you weren't new to the game and probably just threw that out there as a phrase everyone knows. But also knowing that there were actually SAFER apps put in for big screens and home theater systems as Recruitment and Retention projects, I just wanted to make sure. And then again, depending on your training room, some might need a 10+ speaker setup just because of room size.

Thread Information