Forum Member

Talking Cut him some slack!!!

Dear Mr.West

You so bright I bet you wear at night!

I would also like to thank you for your kind words.Your charming nature will helps pull this nation together in one of its darkest hours.

After you stated, ``George Bush doesn't care about black people,''

GW does not care!

BULL****!

Highlights of the federal response include:

FEMA

FEMA deployed 39 Disaster Medical Assistance Teams from all across the U.S. to staging areas in Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, and Louisiana and is now moving them into impacted areas.

Eighteen Urban Search and Rescue task forces and two Incident Support Teams have been deployed and prepositioned in Shreveport, La., and Jackson, Miss., including teams from Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. An additional eight swift water rescue teams have been deployed.

FEMA is moving supplies and equipment into the hardest hit areas as quickly as possible, especially water, ice, meals, medical supplies, generators, tents, and tarps. There are currently over 1,700 trucks which have been mobilized to move these supplies into position.

Coast Guard

The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) worked through the night and has rescued or assisted more than 1,250 people.

Secretary Chertoff has authorized the recall to active duty of 550 Coast Guard Reservists to support response and recovery activities.

USCG ships, boats, and aircraft continue to support FEMA and state and local authorities with rescue and recovery efforts. USCG has also activated three national strike teams to help in removal of hazardous materials; ships and boats continue to support the national relief efforts.

National Guard

The National Guard of the four most heavily impacted states are providing support to civil authorities. Guard units are also providing generators, medical assistance and shelters. Currently, more than 31,500 members from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida are engaged and providing assistance.

The National Guard is augmenting civilian law enforcement capacity, not acting in lieu of it.

Department of Defense

As directed by the Secretary of Defense and in accordance with the National Response Plan, U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM) is supporting the FEMA disaster relief efforts. NORTHCOM, the lead Department of Defense (DOD) organization for Hurricane Katrina response, is moving and/or mobilizing the following resources to support FEMA’s response and recovery efforts:

NORTHCOM established Joint Task Force (JTF) Katrina to act as the military’s on-scene command in support of FEMA. Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, commander of the First Army in Fort Gillem, Ga., is the JTF-Commander. JTF Katrina will be based out of Camp Shelby, Miss.
    U.S. Transportation Command is flying eight swift water rescue teams from California to Lafayette, La. These teams will provide approximately 14 highly trained personnel with vehicles and small rigid-hulled boats capable of rescuing stranded citizens from flooded areas.
    USS Bataan sailed to the waters off Louisiana to provide support. Currently, four helicopters from the Bataan are flying medical evacuation and search and rescue missions in Louisiana. Bataan’s hospital may also be used for medical support.

The Iwo Jima Amphibious Readiness Group (ARG) is preparing to sail from Norfolk, VA loaded with disaster response equipment. The ARG consists of four amphibious ships, and will be off the coast of Louisiana in the next five days.

The hospital ship USNS Comfort is departing Baltimore to bring medical assistance capabilities to the Gulf region, and should arrive in seven days.

Department of Health and Human Services

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is making available all of their capabilities to help state and local officials provide care and assistance to the victims of this storm. HHS efforts include:

The first 250 mobile hospital beds and associated equipment have arrived at the Louisiana State University (LSU) facility in Baton Rouge. Thirty eight public health service officers are at the facility and along with disaster medical assistance teams and State health care professionals. As of this morning, 50 of the beds are operational.

HHS has placed 415 Public Health Service officers on stand-by for deployment to support medical response in the affected states.

The HHS Secretary’s Operations Center mobile command post is en route to Baton Rouge and should arrive today. This bus provides office space along with computer and communications support for the HHS Secretary’s Emergency Response Team (SERT).

HHS is using the National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) to identify available hospital beds, and working with DOD, Veteran’s Administration, and others to move patients to these facilities. At last count, there were 2,600 beds available in a 12 state area around the affected area. Nationwide, the NDMS has identified 40,000 available beds in participating hospitals.

Louisiana state officials have received 27 pallets of requested medical supplies from the Strategic National Stockpile. These pallets include basic first aid material (such as bandages, pads, ice packs, etc), blankets and patient clothing, suture kits, sterile gloves, stethoscopes, blood pressure measuring kits, and portable oxygen tanks. This equipment is being used to set up the mobile hospital at LSU in Baton Rouge.

Centers for Disease Control experts are now working with Louisiana state officials to implement a mosquito abatement program.

Department of Transportation

The Department of Transportation (DOT) dispatched a team of 66 transportation experts to support state and local officials in the damage assessment of highways, railroads, airports, transit systems, ports, and pipelines. DOT is also supporting detour planning and critical transportation system repairs.

There are a number of key highways and important road bridges that have sustained significant damage, including the I-10 bridges between New Orleans and Slidell, La. I-10 is closed throughout much of Louisiana and all of Mississippi, while it is limited to one lane in each direction and around Mobile due to pump failure in one of the tunnels in Mobile. Other major highways, such as US 90, 98, and 49 in the affected areas are closed. I-59 is closed starting 20 miles south of Meridian to points further south.

Department of Agriculture

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is sending experienced emergency response personnel. To date, the Forest Service has assigned 10 management and logistical teams and seven crews of 20 people each to the affected areas and host communities. These resources are intended to assist in setting up logistics staging areas, the distribution of food products, and debris removal.

USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) is providing food at shelters and mass feeding sites, issuing emergency food stamps, infant formula, and food packages to households in need.

USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service is providing information pertaining to keeping food safe. Consumers can call the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 24 hours a day at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854); for the hearing-impaired TTY 1-800-256-7072.

Department of Labor

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) continues to coordinate with the interagency community in providing support as outlined in the National Response Plan.

Region VI has deployed its eight members Emergency Response Team to Baton Rouge to assess the situation and begin to provide technical assistance to recovery workers and utility employers engaged in power restoration. In addition, OSHA is contacting major power companies to the areas affected to provide safety briefings to employees at power restoration staging areas in affected communities.

OSHA is releasing public service announcements to inform workers about hazards related to restoration and cleanup.

Department of Treasury

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced special relief for taxpayers in the Presidential Disaster Areas struck by the hurricane. These taxpayers generally will have until October 31 to file tax returns and submit tax payments. The IRS will stop interest and any late filing or late payment penalties that would otherwise apply. This relief includes the September 15 due date for estimated taxes and for calendar-year corporate returns with automatic extensions.

Small Business Administration

The Small Business Administration (SBA) will position loan officers in federal and state disaster recovery centers. SBA is also prepared to provide help in other states in the eastern half of the country where the storm may also lead to disaster area declarations.

American Red Cross

The American Red Cross is providing a safe haven for nearly 46,000 evacuees in more than 230 Red Cross shelters, from the panhandle of Florida, across Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, and Texas. The Red Cross is launching the largest mobilization of resources for a single natural disaster involving thousands of trained disaster relief workers, tons of supplies, and support. The American Red Cross is asking everyone in affected areas to remain safely in shelters until local officials have deemed it safe to leave.

The Red Cross relies on donations of the American people to do its work. Citizens can help by calling 1-800-HELP-NOW (1-800-435-7669). Because of logistical issues, the Red Cross cannot accept donations of food or clothing.

I pray he does not care for us hillbillies !I hate to get that kind of response in our time of need!
    Last edited by coldfront; 09-04-2005 at 06:34 AM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic487
    Gee George... did I touch a nerve?? Since when are you not allowed to openly critisize someone and give an opinion based on when you see and know to hold true. Everyone here in these forums seems to do it all the time. First of all... Racist.. not even close... idiot... again... nope... true... well you're right on that. Until you have lived as a POOR black person in the ghetto, (or a poor latino in the bario, or a poor white person in a trailer park,) you really can have no opinion on how a poor black person feels when he walks into a grocery store, or when you can see 2 different news stories in New Orleans, one showing a black person after "looting" and another showing a white person "looking" for food. They are both scavenging for food the best they know how in the situation that your President didn't help mitigate sooner. Now if you can prove to me that there isn't a racial bias in this country (and believe me for every one non-biased item you come up with, I'll throw out 3 to counter)...
    Idiot racist is right on the mark.

Are you a POOR black person in the ghetto?

Let me tell you something. I went to school in an urban area. I was a detective in an urban area. I was an EMT in an urban area.

I am also blessed to live in the (according to the most recent US Census Bureau stats) third most affluent county in the US. I know two things:

1. Some of the biggest pieces of garbage that I have encountered in my life have been affluent white people.
    2. Some of the most God-fearing decent people I have ever encountered in my life have been blacks from the "ghetto".

Since most of my colleagues were white, I had the opportunity to keep track of all the times the calls for assistance were traiged based on the race of the victim. As of today, the total is zero.

I arrested WAY more white folks than black. However, I did have a special condition for arresting a black person-I had to have probable cause.

I don't have to "prove" to anyone that there is no racial bias in this country. Of course there is. But there is as much, if not more, racial bias on the part of blacks than whites. If a white leader went on TV and said the things that Jackson, Rangel and Sharpton say, there would be a mass uproar-from black and white alike. If there were organizations such as the National Association for the Advancement of White People, there would be congressional investigations. But that is not what is important right now. What the debate is about is whether the rescue effort is racially motivated.

Did you notice that the Coast Guard rescue technician was going from rooftop to rooftop and only picking up white people? Did you notice that the NOFD was ordered to onlty respond to fires and emergencies in white people's homes? Did you notice that the Red Cross workers (predominantly white) were only providing relief supplies to white folks? Did you notice that the supplies were ordered into white neighborhoods first?

Of course you didn't. A racist idiot whose only purpose is to come on here and stir up trouble. That is what I see.

Forum Member

Cool what race?

As soon as we can get it through all of our thick heads that it is no longer about race and all about being an American then we will look like nuts to the rest ofthe world. America is the melting pot of the world. If we all played our ethnic origin as a card then we might as well go back and start the Civil War all over too the last man or ethnic group standing. Oh, goody, just what some countries would love to happen. American first and ethnic secondary.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down And................

Am I the only person in the world who thinks there is a Difference between an "Activist" and an "Agitatior"? God, I hope not. Activists are out there now, all over the place, doing everything they can to help, REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE NEWS CAMERAS ARE. Agitatiors, meanwhile, are easy to find, THEY'RE FOLLOWING THE NEWS CREWS AROUND.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Idiot racist is right on the mark.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    If there were organizations such as the National Association for the Advancement of White People
    There is one, and it is (rightfully) considered a hate group by organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Forum Member

Gee George... did I touch a nerve?? Since when are you not allowed to openly critisize (criticize) someone and give an opinion based on when you see and know to hold true. Everyone here in these forums seems to do it all the time. First of all... Racist.. not even close... idiot... again... nope... true... well you're right on that. Until you have lived as a POOR black person in the ghetto, (or a poor latino in the bario {barrio}, or a poor white person in a trailer park,) you really can have no opinion on how a poor black person feels when he walks into a grocery store, or when you can see 2 different news stories in New Orleans, one showing a black person after "looting" and another showing a white person "looking" for food. They are both scavenging for food the best they know how in the situation that your President didn't help mitigate sooner. Now if you can prove to me that there isn't a racial bias in this country (and believe me for every one non-biased item you come up with, I'll throw out 3 to counter)...

Scavenging for food is one thing, taking plasma tv's and brooks brothers suits is another... its ALWAYS racism, when you cant have a excuse for the truth. and BTW, isnt the media portrayed as "liberal"? Liberals dont call it looting (when you need survival items), last time i looked.

p.s. barrio has 2 "r"'s. Spell check works wonders.

Forum Member

They are both scavenging for food the best they know how in the situation that your President didn't help mitigate sooner.
    How exactly does one prepare a big screen TV? Is it best broiled to keep it from getting too tough and dry? And what would be a good side dish to serve with it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down There is no racism

We all know there is no racism in America. Everyone has an equal chance. If you think that is true you voted for GWB. The same person that pulled the funding for firefighters. The same person that demoted someone in his administration because of the police data collected and the disparate treatment given to minorities on traffic stops and he wanted to dissiminate the information. Why would you not want the truth out there? The same person that said homeland security is the cureall. We can't even take care of our own when in need and we are mobilizing our troops to go overseas. By the way, with the pilfering of the budget surplus that we had, where are we going to get the 10.5 billion for relief? True VOODOO economics at its best.

I think I'll join the national guard and smoke some w**d when I dont show up. P.S. he got religion when he got his butt whipped in the Texas governors race and needed to pick up some votes. The legacy continues with the governator (Elect me and I'll balance the budget by taking the firefighters and police pensions) Some people cant see beyond tomorrow. What a JOKE!!
    workharder

Forum Member

Early Adopter

Angry This is a class issue... Not a race issue

Long before this idiot Kanye West opened his mouth, I did notice the caption on more than a few photos listed black folks (carrying food) as looters and white folks as people searching for food. This did occur. However, I would imagine that it was the work of a lone racist in a newsroom somewhere. To think that the governor sent national guardsmen into the city just to kill black folks because they were black... And to think that the president or federal government is dragging their feet because the residents are black... Well, that's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis
    Long before this idiot Kanye West opened his mouth, I did notice the caption on more than a few photos listed black folks (carrying food) as looters and white folks as people searching for food. This did occur. However, I would imagine that it was the work of a lone racist in a newsroom somewhere. To think that the governor sent national guardsmen into the city just to kill black folks because they were black... And to think that the president or federal government is dragging their feet because the residents are black... Well, that's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

well as knight stated earlier, how do u cook a plasma TV?

MembersZone Subscriber

I, personally, am angry that they did not let his rant continue.

I am even more ****ed that it was delayed several seconds so they could censor it!

Permanently Removed

I too am tired of this being played out as a racial thing. I find it hard to believe that a disaster is being termed as a racist event. Why did these people not leave when they were told? Don't tell me it is because of lack of money....seems most have two legs...start walking!

I saw a 400lb black woman complaining the other day because she hadn't eaten in 3 days!

I saw blacks (not one single white) carrying plasma screen TV's out of a store in chest deep water (where the hell were they going to take them, and what the hell were they going to do with them when they got there?

I see black people shooting at helicopters evacuating the sick from hsopitals, and dropping off aid supplies, and they turn around a bitch because no one is coming to help them!

I see black people complaining as the situation deteriorates...waiting for someone to bail them out....I'd start walking out of the damn city if I was there.

This is all learned behavior....sitting around on their asses waiting for their monthly welfare check....now they are waiting on the government to bail them out of this mess.

Call me a racist, but I don't see these people doing much to try to help themselves, they are sitting back waiting for someone else to do it!

Now I suppose since law enforcement has been authorized to use deadly force to control what's left of the citizenry they'll turn that into a racial issue.

IT ****ES ME OFF TO NO END!!!

Forum Member

If you don't care about what the outside USA world thinks then I have not upset you. I was just trying to give some perspective. Those in charge have many things on there plate including managing the media along with providing food and water to the displaced. How do you feel when you see Robert Magaube in Zimbabe performing his urban renewal projects and is this likely to be copied by GB3? Somebody up there must be listening to my previous post as foreign consulates now have access to these areas.
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Forum Member

Default Let's Get a Grip

You know I've read many of these threads. And unfortunatley most of the replies are the same. We all want to force our ideas on others. Someone believes it's racist, some belive it politics. Why don't we all just look at the situation and realize what it is. A TRAGEDY. I'm over here in Iraq and a lot of our guys have families back home affected by this tragedy. 1 member in particular has taken a Leave Without Pay or LWOP to help out his friends and family. They've literally lost everything, and he's trying to get a few of them jobs working over here, just so they have a roof over thier heads and food to ear. So lets all take a breath. Put aside our differences, and help out those who really need us right now. EVeryone there needs our thoughts and prayers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffemt7677
    You know I've read many of these threads. And unfortunatley most of the replies are the same. We all want to force our ideas on others. Someone believes it's racist, some belive it politics. Why don't we all just look at the situation and realize what it is. A TRAGEDY. I'm over here in Iraq and a lot of our guys have families back home affected by this tragedy. 1 member in particular has taken a Leave Without Pay or LWOP to help out his friends and family. They've literally lost everything, and he's trying to get a few of them jobs working over here, just so they have a roof over thier heads and food to ear. So lets all take a breath. Put aside our differences, and help out those who really need us right now. EVeryone there needs our thoughts and prayers.
    Maybe you should email this to mr. west, and the congressional black caucus,etc. seems most people of ALL races (including myself) have volunteered to help in the region, but leave it to a few to make something of it. like other folks we can rant and rave, but seems racism is always an excuse.

Most of the brothers here would be the first to break a window or door to get life sustaining supplies, but to watch two N.O. cops walking thru wal-mart with a shopping cart, or skells taking plasma screen TV's is sickening.

BTW, stay safe over there, and thank you for your service... get home soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Screw anyone outside the US who doesn't like it. Ya know what? If you don't like it, then you must be so upset that you will no longer accept the likely millions of dollars in foreign aid we give your country. WE have a better use for it anyway.

Forum Member

Why doesn't the media allow Mr. Bob Parks to speak on tv?
    Check him out. http://mensnewsdaily.com/blog/parks/

Forum Member

(SNIP)
    First of all... Racist.. not even close... idiot... again... nope... true... well you're right on that. Until you have lived as a POOR black person in the ghetto, (or a poor latino in the bario, or a poor white person in a trailer park,) you really can have no opinion on how a poor black person feels when he walks into a grocery store, or when you can see 2 different news stories in New Orleans, one showing a black person after "looting" and another showing a white person "looking" for food.
    I have heard this argument a lot the last few days - yet nobody has provided a source/pictures/captions from which these accusations are made.

I have seen stories of blacks and whites " looking for food". I have also seen some footage of blacks carrying off TV's, stacks of Nike shoes, and DVD players - now that is LOOTING SIR!

Now IMO - taking TV's is just stupid - you cant eat a TV - I dont think its racist to call them looters - if the shoe fits......

Now i only say I have seen blacks because thats what the media shows - I am sure there are whites, hispanics, and Aliens doing the same thing.

Oh and kanye west can kiss my @#*...... and I would still treat him as any other pt with top care...unless he would refuse my help since I am White
    Last edited by SSTONER; 09-05-2005 at 10:53 PM.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Kanye West is a tool. If he was that concerned he could have gone down to help out. Maybe he could have chartered some busses to evacuate people. Better yet, he could have asked the Mayor of N.O. if he could use the 300 or so school buses sitting idle for the task in a yard in N.O.

However right or wrong you may feels his comments were I think they were inappropriate and his timing sucked a**. Just my .02 cents, your mileage may vary.

Thread Information