Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Me too! Oh well, it wasn't productive anyway! Lots of guys around here have left to go on the FEMA 2 man teams for community relations. I think that's the best we're gonna' get to do up here in the NW. Anything to help though....
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

MembersZone Subscriber

I got a call from one of our guys. At about 9:15, they just entered Mississippi (the state, not the river). They are in the 4th of 7 convoys, so I expect the others are a hour or so ahead or behind.

I also will soon be posting several pics from the Staging Area in Central IL. (and that was no where near I-80)

www.mabas47.org for pictures and updates.

Steve
    www.salemfire.org
    www.mabas47.org
    Steve Murphy
    Safety Captain
    Salem Fire District
    Salem IL

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county EMA in Harrison County is saying it will be at least two weeks before we get called up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, Harrison County is in southern Indiana, about 20 min. from Louisville. We are a VFD, But we are well qualifed. I am a ff-II and HAZMAT ops. We have about 9 departments in the county and on our department alone we have about 20 that want to go. so we are waiting to be called up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have two questions in regards to the Engines down in NO as they just sent 300 guys from my department down there.

I see fires on the TV and the reports as to why the FD who is on scene in a few cases can't battle the fire is that the hydrants don't work.

Here are my questions.
    1. Do NOFD Engines have hard suction hoses as there are feet of standing water in many places?
    2. I assume that most have low exhaust pipes thus are difficult to operate in high-water?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I have two questions in regards to the Engines down in NO as they just sent 300 guys from my department down there.

I see fires on the TV and the reports as to why the FD who is on scene in a few cases can't battle the fire is that the hydrants don't work.

Here are my questions.
    1. Do NOFD Engines have hard suction hoses as there are feet of standing water in many places?
    2. I assume that most have low exhaust pipes thus are difficult to operate in high-water?

FTM-PTB
    Possibly sump pump it to higher ground to porta tanks? Put the engines on the flatbed trailers of those big Army rigs?
    I agree with the hard suction concept. New Orleans is a hugh porta tank at the moment. Use it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

The specific requirement for engines through IL MABAS response included the ability and equipment required to draft, with a 1250 gpm pump, I believe. I suspect there was a reason for that.

While I know we would have sent an engine if required, I'm glad we sent a 4x4 rescue instead. I think they'll find plenty of places to use that unit, especially on the recovery side if they get assigned to do that.
    Last edited by npfd801; 09-06-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Not sure how Illinois pulled it off, but the several dozen rigs they had in a convoy headed down I55 just south of Memphis looked pretty damn impressive!
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

Yeah and not all of them have hard suction, I know the one we were taking doesn't...

Illinois has a plan that works. I spent Sunday afternoon getting my affairs in order, paying bills and calling my family, preparing to leave. Due to logistical issues at the Divison level, around 2000 hrs. I was notified our Division would not be sending a team at this time. I was disapointed, but being in this business for a while I know how things happen. There will be plenty for all of us to do. The trickle down has already begun up here. The firefighters that have responded and continue to respond are going to be working in some very harsh and dangerous conditions. I felt a little twinge watching the morning news and wishing I could give back to a city that I have loved since the minute I set foot in it. But back to the topic at hand. Illinois was able to help out in a big way on very short notice. I am very proud of that.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

More proof that MABAS is a fantastic asset that does a great job. From the tornado damage in Utica and up in Stoughton, WI, to our last major incident (which required two interdivisional move up cards), to this - Illinois has the "help without stripping any one area" thing down pretty well. Will the loss of the guys from our area have an impact? Yes, but enough of us here can step up and take care of things to keep everything running as smootly as possible.

I'm not saying other areas don't have a good system in place, but in this whole crazy world of finger pointing and failure, its good to know that the Illinois fire service seems to be doing something right as far as major coordinated response, and I'm proud of that.

I'm also sure feelings were hurt when some folks were picked to go south when others wanted to go, but in the end, maybe everyone will get their turn to go down. Personally, I'll only be going if I become unemployed in the near future, or I'll be unemployed if I go...

Thread Information