Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default FEMA frustration

My husband was on one of the 2 man teams that FEMA requested. He got called on Friday night, left Saturday. Since then, they have been shuffled around Atlanta in "leadership and mentoring training" and other paperwork. They finally left for New Orleans yesterday, only to spend the day on a bus to Baton Rouge where they sat, ate at an Outback Steakhouse, and did nothing. National Guard members they talked to said they really could use the help, and stated that it was ridiculous that they had spent 3 days doing nothing. Another team that my husband went with is STILL in Atlanta, and has been told at least 3 times that they are leaving for different missions - once to Louisianna, once to Oklahoma, one to a cruise ship in Galveston, and they still haven't left Atlanta. People are ready to quit, and from what I have heard, some have already left to volunteer on their own. If you are waiting to respond to FEMA, you may want to reconsider.

Forum Member

i have recently read a letter sent to us by FEMA describing the same b.s. they wanted us to go to atlanta for some class about report writing before going to help on the coast. we decided to look for other ways to help.

10-4.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

The RUMOR circulating in Texas is that FEMA SUPPOSEDLY is not going to use any Texas resources due to the fact that we are getting overrun by evacuees officially and unofficially.

The RUMOR states FEMA told Texas that "you guys will need all of your resources and then some at home".

This RUMOR is 400th hand so take it for what it is worth.

MembersZone Subscriber

FEMA.....The same clowns that are demanding all agencies be NIMS-compliant by the end of 2006. How many out there have alot of faith in NIMS now?

Forum Member

I thought about volunteering, but if you actually read the letter put out by FEMA it stated very specfically that it was a non-operational role that it would be spent doing paperwork and the such. Not personally how I want to spend my time.

Administrator

Yes, the folks who are 'frustrated' in Atlanta either didn't read the full application or were referred by someone else who didn't or assumed it wasn't reality. In the announcement about these posts it said very early on these were not operational positions and 'community outreach' yet alot of folks either got misinformation, were 'teased' with the possibility of operating, or something else. But while its the top story and clearly people are frustrated, some of those folks just didn't know what they were getting into it sounds like. The statements were all over the place ... non-operational means non-operational. There are quite a few statements, stories and emails just like the post above. On the flip side, the departments that finally got called via EMAC are actually making a difference. Today, New Orleans Bravest battled right along with FDNY's Bravest in several fires in the city. Somewhat of a statement in itself..two cities torn apart by disaster, 1,000 miles apart or so....working together on a house fire.

Forum Member

Default In response

My point wasn't WHAT they were doing, it was that they aren't doing ANYTHING after several days. They would be happier handing out fliers than just sitting in a hotel on the floor doing nothing. People need assistance, and instead of being able to interact with the people who need it, they are stuck in a hotel, or being bussed around from place to place.

MembersZone Subscriber

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
    FEMA packed with W's pals
    By KENNETH R. BAZINET
    DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU
    Wednesday, September 7th, 2005

WASHINGTON - The three top jobs at the Federal Emergency Management Agency under President Bush went to political cronies with no apparent experience coping with catastrophes, the Daily News has learned.
    Even if Bush were to fire embattled and suddenly invisible FEMA Director Michael Brown over his handling of Hurricane Katrina, the bureaucrat immediately below him is no disaster professional, either.

While Brown ran horse shows in his last private-sector job, FEMA's No. 2 man, deputy director and chief of staff Patrick Rhode, was an advance man for the Bush-Cheney campaign and White House. He also did short stints at the Commerce Department and Small Business Administration.

Rhode's biography posted on FEMA's Web site doesn't indicate he has any real experience in emergency response.

In addition, the agency's former third-ranking official, deputy chief of staff Scott Morris, was a PR expert who worked for Maverick Media, the Texas outfit that produced TV and radio spots for the Bush-Cheney campaign. In June, Morris moved to Florida to become FEMA's long-term recovery director.

"The Bush administration has apparently transformed FEMA from a professional, world-class emergency responder into a dumping ground for former campaign staff and political hacks," said Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan).

FEMA also is hampered by several midlevel and regional director's jobs currently held by acting directors.

"Just like our military, FEMA should be immune to this kind of political staffing. It should be run by career emergency response professionals," Maloney added.

Traditionally, the Commerce and Labor departments have long been Washington's dumping ground for presidential pals and campaign operatives - not the disaster relief agency.

Government sources blame Bush's first FEMA director, Joe Allbaugh, with turning FEMA into a patronage shop.

He was chief of staff when Bush was Texas' governor and later headed the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign.

"He stacked the deck with political appointees," a knowledgeable source said of Allbaugh, who had a reputation for running an efficient FEMA operation until he left the job in March 2003.

FEMA is overseen by the Department of Homeland Security. Officials at both agencies did not return phone calls or E-mails yesterday.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm fit for the job, disaster boss sez

By HELEN KENNEDY
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Embattled FEMA head Mike Brown insists he is well-qualified to lead the nation's disaster response agency - though he spent his time before joining the Federal Emergency Management Agency probing whether a breeder was performing liposuction on a horse's rear end.
    Brown, who is now engulfed in a storm of calls for his head, was a family lawyer and GOP functionary who also was a roommate of President Bush's campaign manager, Joe Allbaugh.

"When Bush was elected, Mike knew he was going to Washington," said Lorre Wagner, a Brown friend.

Brown went to FEMA in 2001 as Allbaugh's deputy and took over the top job in 2003. That his only relevant experience was a short stint 30 years ago overseeing emergency services in a sleepy suburb of Oklahoma City was never mentioned.

He did "perform above the call" during the one serious tornado to hit Edmond, Okla., said former Mayor Carl Reherman.

Brown's official government biography oddly doesn't mention it, but he spent the decade before he went to Washington enforcing horse show rules as commissioner of judges for the International Arabian Horse Association.

His big project was a year-long, million-dollar probe of breeder David Boggs, who was accused of prettying up his horses with plastic surgery, including liposuctioning a grey mare with a big rump, tattooing the too-pink white of the eye of another mare and cutting some rump muscles in a gelding to correct the hang of his tail.

Brown proved some of his charges, and Boggs was suspended for five years.

Mary Anne Grimmell, a past president of the horse group, said Brown's work with them would not have prepared him for disaster relief - but surviving the Byzantine battles inside the world of Arabian horses could help him with the current finger-pointing in Washington.

"He took all the brunt of all the hatred," she said. "I think that what he went through with us will stand him in good stead."

Asked Monday about his qualifications, Brown confidently recited his résumé since joining FEMA, including handling 164 disaster declarations, including California wildfires, Midwestern tornadoes and last year's Florida hurricanes.

"So yes, I've been through a few disasters in my life," he said.

But it's a word that many are also applying to his performance last week.

Brown, 50, has not given a TV interview since ham-fisted appearances Thursday on CNN and ABC in which he blamed the dead for not evacuating, wrongly assured viewers that hospital evacuations were being completed, said he'd heard "no reports of unrest" and admitted he'd only just learned of the thousands trapped without food and water at the New Orleans convention center.

Brown's on-air cluelessness, coupled with stories of FEMA delaying, bungling and even turning back aid, has put a giant target on his back.

Republican Sen. Trent Lott took aim, warning CBS that if Brown doesn't take swift action, "he ain't gonna be able to hold a job, 'cause what I'm going to do to him ain't gonna be pretty."

Just about the only person with any praise for Brown these days is Bush, who said Friday, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Originally published on September 7, 2005

Forum Member

This is good.....they're learning how not to sexually harass before they go hand-out leaflets.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=46179

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Imho...

FEMA needs to be out from under the Department of Homeland Security!
    I have said it before and I'll say it again.
    The agencies serve two very distinctly different roles.
    James Lee Witt and Joe Albaugh need to come back to the agency.
    Then we'll see.
    I think many in the agency now PADDED THEIR RESUMES!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

the mayor can't explain why 2,000 school buses weren't used to remove the 100,000 people who had no way out. he can't explain why the city had no provisions in place to get food and water to the people. in the evacuation plan it clearly identified that they knew the people need help getting out. why wasn't the mayor at the super dome getting things organized. the failure lies on the lap of the mayor and the governor who waited over 24 hrs to call the feds in. after the storm was over the feds have no right to just come in - they need to be activated. there needs to be a plan as to where their needed. I do believe the storm didn't just hit down town new Orleans

here's their emergency plan:

http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=46&tabid=26

A. Shelter Demand

Shelter demand is currently under review by the Shelter Coordinator. Approximately 100,000 Citizens of New Orleans do not have means of personal transportation. Shelter assessment is an ongoing project of the Office of Emergency Preparedness through the Shelter Coordinator.

why didn't the city, who know the levee system could fail prepared for it??
    why no bottled water or MRE's
    no transportation for the ones who couldn't get out on there own.
    the city failed the people not the feds

Well, no wonder the shelter plan didn't work. There wasn't one. Once again it has been made painfully obvious that FAILING TO PLAN IS PLANNING TO FAIL
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

As the WT's pointed out in their post, the duties of these two man teams was made clear in the application process so nobody can legitimately say they didn't know.

That doesn't make it right. FEMA is wasting motivated and highly trained assets by assigning them tasks that sound more appropriate for a church youth group. I guess I should say, they're planning on wasting those assets if they ever get them to the affected areas.

You know what really makes me mad? This section from the FH.com story:
    Federal officials are unapologetic.
    "I would go back and ask the firefighter to revisit his commitment to FEMA, to firefighting and to the citizens of this country," said FEMA spokeswoman Mary Hudak.
    HOW DARE SHE! She is talking about someone who, in the course of their daily activities, responds to help people in need - often at great personal risk. If they were not enough, now they've volunteered to deploy to away from home and family to help people they've never met and Ms. Hudak HAS THE GALL TO QUESTION THEIR COMMITMENT!

You want to know what's wrong with FEMA? It is right there in that comment. Even setting aside the general snobbish attitude and lack of respect for these fine volunteers, notice how she questioned their commitment to FEMA first, before everything else.

Now that I'm on the soapbox,

Does anyone know what body the FDNY worked through to get to NO? Was it FEMA, the City, or the NOFD? I read a story yesterday where the City of Baltimore just bypassed FEMA and provided aid to Gretna, La by working directly through that city's government. What I'm wondering is if the FDNY worked outside of FEMA, would the NOFD have received any help?

Forum Member

Wink

[QUOTE=EFD840]As the WT's pointed out in their post, the duties of these two man teams was made clear in the application process so nobody can legitimately say they didn't know.

That doesn't make it right. FEMA is wasting motivated and highly trained assets by assigning them tasks that sound more appropriate for a church youth group. I guess I should say, they're planning on wasting those assets if they ever get them to the affected areas.

You know what really makes me mad? This section from the FH.com story:
    Federal officials are unapologetic.
    "I would go back and ask the firefighter to revisit his commitment to FEMA, to firefighting and to the citizens of this country," said FEMA spokeswoman Mary Hudak.

Unfortunately, this is the tendency of the administration to belittle opponents and or dissenters who happen to question what is going on. I got a copy of the email from FEMA at my station. Printed it and read it through. Once I realized that it was not operational decided I would wait for an operational opportunity to come up. I commend those that chose to go. However, I would rather not wear a FEMA t-shirt at this time. Seems to me it would be like having a big target on your back. You know the old saying.... "Hi I'm from the government and I'm here to help"....

Mark

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

One of the stated reasons for using firefighters was that "they had already passed background checks." I'm not sure what cloud the FEMA guys are living on, but really thorough background checks are probably a rarity. Simple criminal history checks are probably more common, but far from universal.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Angry Deployment 120 day committment for volunteer FF

Another interesting challenge in this FEMA/USFA request is that volunteer fire fighters are REQUIRED to commit for 120 days - yep 4 months - whereas career fire fighters commit for 30 days. Yes - when you talk to them - they state that it is 'very unlikely' you will deploy for 120 days, really 3-4 weeks is realistice, but they continue to say "Volunteers must COMMIT to 120 days - if you cannot commit to 120 days - do not apply."

Most Volunteer Fire Fighters, of course, have other jobs - and telling your boss you may be gone for 4 months? - you are talking career change.

I had 2 crews ready to deploy - and yes, we knew it was non-operational - but helping is helping - then we came on the 120 requirement. I contacted FEMA to verify it - and yes - they said "you must be willing to commit 120 days." I even looked for a "wink wink - it says 120 days - but we mean 30" but I didn't get that.

bg

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ullrichk
    One of the stated reasons for using firefighters was that "they had already passed background checks." I'm not sure what cloud the FEMA guys are living on, but really thorough background checks are probably a rarity. Simple criminal history checks are probably more common, but far from universal.
    There's more truth to your statement than you realize.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Default finally taking some action

It looks like the FEMA teams of firefighters in New Orleans are finally taking some action and have taken some control over their situation down there. They are now actively involved with some of the rescue efforts and are working with the other teams there. Rumor has it that they aren't wearing their FEMA shirts unless they have to in case people are still a little negative towards them at this point. I am glad to see that they finally are using their skills to help people instead of just killing time at this point.

Thread Information