MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2005 / 4th Anniversary FDNY - 343 memorial

GARLAND FIRE DEPT Fire Station #7
    2545 Naaman School Rd., Garland 75040 Mapsco 19a-L
    (near G. Bush Turnpike/190 & Hwy 78/Lavon Dr.)
    FD Admin: 972-205-2250 Sta. #7: 972-205-2282
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

We will be displaying our FDNY 9-11 Memorial, “A Cross for a Brother”, from Sept 6th (12 noon) to Sept 15 (5pm).

This is a 1 acre memorial that will have 1 cross displayed for every firefighter killed on Sept 11, 2001. Each cross has a nameplate with the name of a firefighter killed that day & their assignment. Please come & walk among the names & pay tribute to the FDNY – 343.

To view more pictures, go to: http://teamsaffell.com/GFD/FDNY343.html

Last edited by asaffell; 09-08-2005 at 11:34 PM.
    Saffell
    1 Corinthians 1:18
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Never forget!

We just finished putting out all the crosses. This year all the crosses were repainted (Lowes donated $150 worth of paint). It has taken about 1 1/2 months to remove all the nameplates, clean the crosses, repaint them & put the nameplates back on.
    It is sad to note that on the first anniversary that we had around 50 folks out at the station including newspapers & TV crews. It has dwindled down each year. The first year it took a setup (setting out the grid / string) about 2 hrs & about 30 min to hammer all the crosses in. The first year we had a person on each on the 9 rows, 2 guys on the horizontal string & a relief person for each row. This year we had the 5 guys assigned out here doing it all. The guy doing the grid took about 2 hrs to set up the grid & it took 5 hrs for us to hammer them all in. 2 guys on the string & 3 guys hammering (1 carried the crosses out 1-2 rows at a time so if we got a call not all the crosses would be left out). I got here at 0430 this morning & started getting the crosses ready & in alphabetical order, the grid guy (Wayne) got here at 0630 & started, the other guys helped out by trimming the trees & helping out with everything else (Jerry, Casey, Larry).
    I understand that each year it seems less & less significant to most but my intention has always been to show the FDNY Brothers & the family members of the Brothers killed that there are some folks around the country that will not allow the loss of their loved ones be forgotten.
    I never knew any of them personally. I had heard or read about some of the guys through articles or the books written by them or about them. Either way, they are Brothers. I pray that God has watched over the FDNY & the family members. I pray that all the children of the Brothers lost that day realize that they have always been in many folks prayers & that they should be proud of their dads for the many lives they saved that day.
    I know lots of folks say it is time to move on, fine.....but NEVER FORGET.
    God Bless the FDNY-343.
    Saffell
    1 Corinthians 1:18
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Thread Information