Thread: Where to start?

god

Default Where to start?

Recently, i was talking to a friend who lives in Maryland, who is a firefighter, and he said how he started as a voulteer (at age 16) and the state then paid for his education (at 17) (to become a firefighter and EMT-B). In my state, Missouri, no station near by offers a voulenteer firefighter 'service,' what should i do to further my goal of becoming a firefighter? Or do i have to wait untill i become of a certain age?

Thanks!

Forum Member

I think most paid departments want recruits to be at least 21.You'll want to check with them to be sure.I am assuming that you are not out of your parents' house yet and cannot move to an area where there is a volunteer department.
    Try finding out if there an Explorer program in your area.As I understand it,it's an offshoot of the Boy Scouts but you get some basic training in what firefighters do which will give you a leg up when it's time for you to get on as a firefighter.
    Hope this helps.We've had one Explorer in the past couple years that I've been on my volunteer department who went active when he turned 18 last January.
    Now we have almost 10 Explorers that I know of(I never have seen them all at once.Kinda like Jeff Gordon and Brad Paisley are never in the same room at the same time.makes you wonder)and for now,they all want to go active when they are old enough.But for now,they get to go to the same schools that we do and train with the exception of live fires,and can go on calls.
    But on calls,they are gofers.They help run gear up to where someone can get it,they help take up hose,they help clean the rigs and rehab the firefighters.
    They do not go into a building to fight fires,ventilate or make rescues but they are watching and hopefully learning as they go.
    Good luck with your search.

god

when i become of age, whether 18 or 21, do you recomend taking Fire I/II as college courses or are there other instutions that would get me certified for firefighting and EMT carrers?

again, thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    when i become of age, whether 18 or 21, do you recomend taking Fire I/II as college courses or are there other instutions that would get me certified for firefighting and EMT carrers?

again, thanks!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to take the fire technician classes before you go into FIREFIGHTER 1,2,3,4?
    And isn't EMT usually a gateway position? I don't know many who make that a carreer. But that may just be the area, and I'm just starting as well. Anyway... that's my two cents.

god

sorry for any ignorance i may be exibiting, well, what i am really trying to ask is where and how to start, thanks!

Forum Member

Try here -

http://kcmetro.edu/blueriver/fireAcad/

I dont think you will get the state to pay for it, but I believe they have financial aid.

When you are done with that, go to paramedic school. Then, sit back and wait for offers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MondoMarcus
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to take the fire technician classes before you go into FIREFIGHTER 1,2,3,4?
    And isn't EMT usually a gateway position? I don't know many who make that a carreer. But that may just be the area, and I'm just starting as well. Anyway... that's my two cents.
    Thought they got rid of firemanship 3 years ago.

god

Quote Originally Posted by kfd209
    Try here -

I dont think you will get the state to pay for it, but I believe they have financial aid.

When you are done with that, go to paramedic school. Then, sit back and wait for offers.
    where did you find that link? is there a source where i can look up a school more in my area, or is that all you know of for my region? Thanks!

Forum Member

Bag that"..sit back and wait for offers" garbage.Get out,find fire departments whether they are in your county or not and apply to them.And keep learning all that you can about firefighting.The learning process just starts when you begin training.Just because you are FF I and II,Hazmat Operations,EMT/Paramedic,state Instructor certified etc. like most of the senior officer on my volunteer department are doesn't mean that there is nothing else to learn.
    There will always be changes in how we do our job and the only way to keep on top of it is to keep going to schools,studying any books you can find and talking over with other firefighters about what you all have done to put down a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by kfd209
    Try here -

Then, sit back and wait for offers.

god

well where do i get started? do i just apply to a station reglardless of any prior training? I'm am looking to get started in the whole world of firefighting and EMS. thanks!

Forum Member

Help me out a little Mike, What corner of the state are you in? Nearest large city?

god

oh sorry, i live in St. Louis, MO

Forum Member

I havn't forgotten about you Mike. I'm not familar with the east side of the state. I'm still checking if there is a similar academy there.
    Last edited by kfd209; 09-12-2005 at 05:08 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mike, The St Louis Fire Dept Has an Explorer Post. I have the contact info for you. Send me an email sgudde@uniteone.net

Thread Information