Default NY Bravest join effort to save burning city

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
    Raging infernos
    By NICOLE BODE,
    TAMER EL-GHOBASHY
    and GREG B. SMITH
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Tuesday, September 6th, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - Fire was the latest plague to hit the city devastated by Hurricane Katrina yesterday, and New York's Bravest came to the rescue.
    More than 300 New York firefighters joined the battle yesterday as raging infernos broke out across this nearly empty city, straining an already exhausted New Orleans Fire Department.

They fought at least five fires by noon yesterday, the most spectacular being a fast-moving blaze in the venerable Garden District, a historic neighborhood of antebellum mansions that are a key tourist draw.

Unable to get the swamped city's hydrants working, they had to rely on tanker trucks and helicopters loaded with water bladders to douse the spreading fires.

Elsewhere, the New Yorkers plunged their hoses into the filthy storm sludge from the street, but the streams of water only lasted briefly before muck clogged the intake filter. Firefighters took turns using shovels to clear them.

While fire ravaged parts of the city, help continued to pour into the area and the slow process of draining New Orleans proceeded.

"In the last 24-36 hours things have totally changed and we're starting to drain the city at a better pace," New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin told the Daily News. "I see sunshine, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I see a ray of hope."

"Today I have all the resources I could possibly imagine," Nagin said. "We might even be overresourced. There are maybe 25 different agencies here and it's becoming a challenge trying to effectively manage all these resources."

The city quickly turned to the New York City firefighters, however, when a stubborn blaze threatened the elegant Garden District, a section of century-old wooden buildings crowded together more closely than in a Queens neighborhood.

"Let's let the New York guys play with it," said exhausted New Orleans Firefighter Kalvin Koenig, handing a hose to his New York colleague.

The fire was well underway when the fire companies arrived. A helicopter dumped a giant red ball of Mississippi water on it, but the fire quickly jumped across St. Andrews St. to a 1870s wooden two-family home that was quickly engulfed in flames.

"Our line in the rear is dead!" shouted Firefighter Mike Kozo of Corona, Queen's crew Engine 324 as he dashed down the street toward his colleagues.

Soon another half-dozen choppers splashed thousands of gallons of water on the fire, but it leaped again to a third and then a fourth house.

Another water drop landed squarely on top of one FDNY team, terrifying Firefighter Randall Cole of Engine 95 Ladder 36 in Inwood.

"We thought the whole house was going to come down on us," Cole said during a quick midblaze cigarette break.

A crew from Fordham in the Bronx rushed off to scare up another tanker truck and then jumped back into the smoke. Meanwhile, Lt. William Butler was trying to quickly absorb New Orleans firefighter lingo.

"They started calling the water drops 'voodoo.' We'd hear 'voodoo coming,' on the radio, and not know what they were saying," Butler said.

In calmer moments, a group of New York firefighters rolled back the door on the Central Fire Station in the French Quarter and backed the trucks in yesterday.

The station had no electricity, the running water was contaminated and Firefighter John McNamara of Engine 234 in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, had to don a mask and gloves to clean out the putrid-smelling kitchen.

Nevertheless, he proclaimed, "This belongs to the firefighters again."

FDNY teams said helping New Orleans was the least they could do.

"I know there was a bunch of them up there for us on 9/11," said Brett Asher of Engine 96 in the Bronx. "They were there for us, we got to be there for them. It's one big brotherhood."

MembersZone Subscriber

(CBS) NEW YORK The FDNY is sending more support to the Gulf Coast. Dozens of firefighters are leaving for Louisiana on Wednesday morning.

A convoy of FDNY vehicles are preparing to head down to Louisiana Wednesday morning as part of a relief effort for Hurricane Katrina. This convoy will be lead by former Engine 283, which is also known as the "Spirit of Louisiana." This fire truck was donated to the FDNY as a gift from the people of Louisiana in response to the attacks from 9/11. Now the FDNY is showing its gratitude with a reciprocal act of generosity in Louisiana’s time of need.

The "Spirit of Louisiana" truck was built with money from a statewide fund-raising campaign and workers donated the time to build the fire truck to the strict FDNY standards. The truck was presented to New York City in 2001 and was housed at Engine 283 on Howard Avenue in Brooklyn.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_250071916.html
    (© MMV, CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

I saw FDNY on tv yesterday at a house fire they were up on the roof with a NO fireman. It was strange to see a bunch of guys standing around some in NO gear some in FDNY gear and some in BDU from the gaurd. At least someone is cooperating

MembersZone Subscriber

I just saw them (FDNY) operating at a warehouse fire. I knew they were FDNY before they zoomed in. Warehouse blazing stem-to-stern and the FF were walking around, going about their assigned tasks like it was just another day at the office.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up On MSNBC now

Watching FDNY operate with NOFD right now on a good size structure. Looks like they are getting decent water but I bet those guy would like more. It's live right now and looks like the good guys are winning! 2 ladders in operation and with a command structure in the front. Way to go FDNY!

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Same job; just a branch office.

I'm assuming they're still having water supply issues?
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thumbs up

OUT FREAKIN STANDING!!
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

How did the FDNY manage to bypass the system that everyone else seems to be stuck in?

All I read is that all these FF's from Fla., Tex., etc. are stranded in Atlanta, waiting to pass out fliers. The FDNY, within a day of getting down there, are fighting warehouse fires! I think it's great, don't get me wrong, but did they get requested (dispatched)differently?

Did they byass all the FEMA nonsense?

Firepics, I asked the same question in another thread. I read a story somewhere that said Baltimore bypassed FEMA and dealt directly with the city government of Gretna, LA to provide help. I'm wondering if the FDNY did the same.

If they did, first, good for them but that is yet another scathing indictment of the FEMA.

Quote Originally Posted by firepics
    How did the FDNY manage to bypass the system that everyone else seems to be stuck in?

All I read is that all these FF's from Fla., Tex., etc. are stranded in Atlanta, waiting to pass out fliers. The FDNY, within a day of getting down there, are fighting warehouse fires! I think it's great, don't get me wrong, but did they get requested (dispatched)differently?

Good question, but I glad that New Orleans FD is finally getting help they need.

FDNY request by FEMA or self dispatched, I say Good For Them.
    If indeed FEMA did call them, one has to wonder why it took so long and why not units closer?

I remember a post late last week about Chicago FD offering help. They were told to sent one Engine

The big thing is, NOFD is getting some relief.

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNY Rocks As Always!

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

"I remember a post late last week about Chicago FD offering help. They were told to sent one Engine"

Talk to MABAS...
    Last edited by BVFD1983; 10-04-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firepics

I think this is the $10,000 question of the evening...

EXCELLENT!!! That's some brotherhood..........

Just watchout for the Voodoo!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Way to go FDNY! You guys are amazing as always!

Stay Safe

Default How'd FDNY do it?

In Texas, we are getting so impatient wanting to do just what the FDNY did. They are there now and are giving the NOFD some much needed relief. I'd love to know how they pulled it off, whether they went through channels are nutted up and "self-dispatched".

If the rest of us go through the "proper" channels and await and "official" order/request, we'll all probably be retired before FEMA acknowledges that a hurricane did in fact wreck havoc on New Orleans and Gulf Coast!

I am proud that the FDNY is representing the AMERICAN fire service as it aids the NOFD. They will undoubtedly make us proud!

I hope at some point the rest of us have the opportunity to aid our brother firefighters in the South.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Thumbs up

Saw some FDNY guys on TV today working a structure fire....No SCBA's, if I had to make an educated guess I'd assume that it's probably impossible to refill bottles at the moment....besides, all operations appear to be strictly defensive. Scary looking operation, those water drops ("voodoo", as they called it) are being made in very close proximity to the working crews.

At any rate, a big merci boucoup to our FNDY brothers and congratulations for figuring out a way to sidestep the FEMA beaureacracy.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Default FDNY in NO

FIREPICS wondered why FDNY was able to send resources while others are standing by. I think one of the best reasons is that FDNY was able to basically send an entire fire department to NO instead of just a few companies. This way the FF were trained the same, operated with the same SOP's and were able to function as a complete unit. While the other companies offered were good firefighters in their own respect the would have had many other problems to overcome ontop of the basic problems being encountered. Instead of complaining we should be complimenting FDNY for cooming to the aid of NOFD!!

Way to GO FDNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

good point, brothers. but also remember, with over 12000 firemen and officers, it is easy for a big dept like fdny (and LA, boston, chi-town, etc) to obviously send a bigger contingent. and when ya have 300 guys with the same SOP's (even in a different city), may make things easier. but seeing the pics, seems FDNY adjusted to NOFD, and vice versa.

No matter where we're from, its gonna be tough for everyone. But, thats what makes our job better then everyone elses. "The Brotherhood".

waiting to go down meself...... stay safe everyone

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB....

MembersZone Subscriber

Thread Information