MembersZone Subscriber

Default "The Spirit of Louisiana" she's going home

The FDNY is sending a convoy of vehicles, including a mobile command center, to New Orleans from Randall's Island Wednesday.

The convoy is being led by the Spirit of Louisiana truck, donated to the department by Louisiana after the September 11th terrorist attacks.

Another 20 members of the Fire Department will be flying to New Orleans Wednesday morning. They'll join more than 300 city firefighters already helping with relief efforts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    The FDNY is sending a convoy of vehicles, including a mobile command center, to New Orleans from Randall's Island Wednesday.

The convoy is being led by the Spirit of Louisiana truck, donated to the department by Louisiana after the September 11th terrorist attacks.

Another 20 members of the Fire Department will be flying to New Orleans Wednesday morning. They'll join more than 300 city firefighters already helping with relief efforts.
    Thanks for that info, Loo........

I think that's an excellent show of support to the people of LA.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Wow.

What a great thing to do. Lt. I know that will bring a tear to many eyes. God! You have to love the brotherhood!
    Last edited by spearsm; 09-08-2005 at 11:32 AM. Reason: **removing the babble**
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

THATS COOL!
    WTG FDNY!!
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Default Apparatus assistance

I know other apparatus is/will be sent as well, but that was a neat story. Once again our Industry has more good stories than bad!

Forum Member

Did they send Rescue Co. 6 down there? I know it just got deactivated, so it should just be sittin' there right?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Early Adopter

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    Did they send Rescue Co. 6 down there? I know it just got deactivated, so it should just be sittin' there right?
    Rescue 6 was a temporary company. As I understand, it was created using a reserve rescue truck (Spirit of Oklahoma?) and staffed with members detailed from other companies. Once that mission was complete, I'm guessing the rig went back to its role as a reserve piece.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis
    Rescue 6 was a temporary company. As I understand, it was created using a reserve rescue truck (Spirit of Oklahoma?) and staffed with members detailed from other companies. Once that mission was complete, I'm guessing the rig went back to its role as a reserve piece.

yeah, I know all that, that's why I was wondering if it had been sent down to the gulf coast to help, since it's not really doing anything around New York
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah, I know all that, that's why I was wondering if it had been sent down to the gulf coast to help, since it's not really doing anything around New York
    As I understand it from the few friends I have in Rescue Unfortuneately due to the poor quality of the E-ones and how often they are Out of Service for repairs this spare Rescue is used often for our Rescues and isn't just sitting around. It isn't a reserve piece as all too often they need to use it. I know I've seen my Boros rescue in this appratus quite frequently.

When it was placed into service as R6 I understand it, it was put together with extra tools from SOC and all the spare tools the other Rescues could muster. I imagine those tools were returned to their orignial rescues as our spare rigs usually don't carry any tools and the company using a spare must take all tools off their orginial apparatus when switching out.

JfTL41 could probably answer this question better if he were lurking around on this thread.

FTM-PTB

PS- The apparatus itself would be of little use without the men trained in its use. We would have to send a sizeable amount of SOC guys down there to staff this rig specificly and that isn't probably what is needed considering there are plenty of USAR TFs down there already.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 09-10-2005 at 12:47 PM.

Forum Member

A sincere welcome back to the Spirit of Louisiana. Very fitting that 4 years after she was sent to help New York that she should return home to help now.
    I remember standing on Hwy 30 with boot in hand on a Saturday morning getting donations from motorists going to a LSU Tiger football game up the road in Baton Rouge. We raised lots of money that day to go towards the truck and other equiptment sent to New York. It's almost unreal to turn on the TV and see that now there are concerts and fundraisers for the people of the Gulf South.
    We are truly a UNITED States of America. As long as we are UNITED there is nothing this country can't overcome.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

FFFRED what about sending the Mack/General REscue Rig down there with FDNY guys ? After being delivered, the Mack rescue seems to have disappeared while the ALF rescue is seen regularly

Forum Member

I'm not real sure, but a friend was traveling near Birmingham on Thursday and told me that he saw a convoy with FDNY vehicles (he described what sounded like a mobile command center) on 459 heading South/West. It startled him, he told me he thought that part of the world had surely been destroyed with all the lights he saw. I wonder if that was indeed the "Spirit of Lousianna" heading home..........Have any of the FDNY guys been keeping in contact with them?
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Thread Information