Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Information on Flashovers

Attention Firefighters
    My name is firestorm0901, I am a high school student in G/T Chemistry seeking information for a Science Fair project. The topic of my project is the phenomenon of flashovers. As part of my project I must reasearch and present information to a panel of judges. Unfortunately, there is a lack of information out there and I am turning to you,the experts, for support. I would appreciate any knowledge you can provide from personal experience about tactics and techniques concering flashovers. If you would like to speak further about my project, feel free to e-mail me. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

firestorm0901

What exactley do you want to know. To be very basic, the best tactics for preventing flashover is to provide ventilation or extinguish the fire. The tactics to accomplish this are many. There is a large variety of ways to ventilate a building or apply water to the fire.

For future reference, if you want people to email you.......you should include your email address.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 09-09-2005 at 06:48 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

I'd have to agree with MemphisE34a. Theres really not alot to flashovers, basically the flashover is the transition between the growth and fully developed stage of the fire and is not a specific event such as ignition.

other notes for your project if you did not know.

The radiant heat inside a compartment causes pyrolysis (sp?) in the combustable materials within the compartment. The gasses generated during this time (pyrolysis) are heated to there ignition temp. by the radiant energy from the gas layer at the ceiling.

No exact temp. can be determined with flashover, but a range of 900 - 1200 Degrees F is commonly accepted. this range correlates with the ignition temp of Carbon Monoxide (CO), which is the most common gas given off during pyrolysis.

Oh, one last thing of note....Dont be caught in one!!!!

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Default Nasty!

Been in one "Flash over" --scared the living sh#t out of me.
    This happened in a fish and chip shop takeway in Croydons Main Street early hours of the morning (ain't they all)--heavy build up of smoke/fumes/gasses seen by the opaque windows etc.
    Usual precautions -covering jet laid out--plate glass window vented from a distance(first floor heavy ladder chucked thru it)-- hit it with a fog nozzle--nothing .

Me and rest of B.A crew in on our bellies across the floor --then the whole ceiling went in a rolling flash--this was in 1964 or thereabouts and it still makes me realise how lucky we were.

We later found out the heater for the oil fryer had not been turned off properly.

EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

Breathing Apparatus in a chippie 1964 Nah! Surely you smoke eaters could take it without a Proto by zapping a large applicator on it Ha ha ha!

Plenety on Flashover HERE

Forum Member

Default Proto?

Croydon--Roberts Comp. Air until the take over in 1965--me only 2 yrs in the job. You did what you were told --and yes there were certain Guvorners who you would have followed into a furnace dressed in just a smile.

But on the other hand, one or two,who you could not trust as far as you could push a concrete piano up Mount Everest using your todger.You could always recognize their footwear protruding from the nether regions of Senior Officers anatomy.

"Me and rest of B.A crew in on our bellies across the floor --then the whole ceiling went in a rolling flash--"

Just curious 2andfrom, are you sure you didnt experience a "rollover"? I'm not trying to question your intelligence, by the way it sounds you have been in the FF buisness since way before i was though of, but from what you described sounds like the typical "rollover" to me. I mean you horizontally vented and through a ladder through the window and still got a flashover.

If it was a flashover, you were very lucky, and the man upstairs was watching out for you and your crew.

EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

2andfrom .... Hope you're doing well 'digger'

Now I was never aware that compressed air was around in London that much before 1970. I joined post 1965 and we only had it on the eight ETs. Do you know if any of the other brigades that went to make up the LFB used CA for first strike?

Rollover v flashover .... technically correct. But 'rollover' was a term/phenomenon noted long after 1964!

Forum Member

Red face Tired and emotional(****ed)

Just got in from a night on the mind altering chemicals--will try to get it in the right sequence--in about 12 hrs your time.

Chemicals came in brown containers--and a phial marked "Vodka"

MembersZone Subscriber

Here you go, dude. Check out this site and search for keyword flashover. It's the mother load.

http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/

Thread Information