Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Katrina- Celebrities and not Responders?

One thing that I seriously can't understand in this whole mess, is FEMA and what other authorities turning away responders, or not even using the ones that have been called by them, yet many high profile celebrities are allowed in? When did this turn from being an aid mission to a carnival?

I can understand the help some of this can provide. Helping keep the public attention on whats going on, these celebs donating their time/money to help, and the need for organized deployement of skilled repsponders is key. It just seems to me that some of these authorities aren't consistent with their actions. They talk about how dangerous of a situation it is in some areass, with crime, disease and other hazards, yet they allow untrained people to come in to look around, and turn the skilled professionals away? Not using the resources at hand?

Maybe it's just me feeling frustrated as are many others who would like to respond, but are not being utilized. I'm sure after all is said and done, we'll get to see some more lovely intervention by the federal government like we saw with NIMS. Wonder what happend with that in this situation...

Just and opinion, and lots of frustration.

Did anyone watch the Geraldo Rivera bit on Sunday? WHAT A SHAM!

Here's the basic plot:
    A 71 year old woman calls Fox News and tells them she is trapped in her home with her dog. Within 30 minutes, there's Geraldo carrying her to safety.

With all the electric and phone service out in the area, just how did this poor soul call Fox News? Bettwer yet, why would you call Fox News to begin with?

I have no doubt a Fox News Satellite phone was given to this poor dear and she was coached on how to ask for assistance?

Geraldo, my hero

Forum Member

What's going to bring in more money,showing Bob the friendly fireman putting out the burning chemical warehouse,Steve the brave Air Force PJ riding the hoist cable to pull a family of 7 out of their flooded home,Mike aka Officer Friendly stopping looters from robbing a family of what food they have left on the news,or Sean Penn riding around in his own boat days after the storm(why isn't HE too late?)complaining about the slow federal response to the storm?
    Do you think that people who pretend to do what we do for a living or as volunteers want to be seen as unable to really do these things?

Forum Member

A couple years ago when "Hurricane Elvis"hit Memphis,I went down to help my parents get a relative's generator to town so they could have some electricity and catch some local TV.
    The night before we got the generator,when we were reduced to the radio simulcasting the TV news,I kept hearing the anchors referring people to"Go to our website which is scrolling across the bottom of the screen."
    I wondered"Who is able to see the screen and who would be running a computer instead of running their fridge and being out cleaning up the mess?"

[QUOTE=E229Lt] WHAT A SHAM!

With all the electric and phone service out in the area, just how did this poor soul call Fox News? Bettwer yet, why would you call Fox News to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt

Here's the basic plot:
    A 71 year old woman calls Fox News and tells them she is trapped in her home with her dog. Within 30 minutes, there's Geraldo carrying her to safety.

I have no doubt a Fox News Satellite phone was given to this poor dear and she was coached on how to ask for assistance?

Geraldo, my hero
    I'll second that Lt.......might've been the same show. He was on with Bill O'Reilly and what a show it was. They both carried on like a couple of idiots and made it sound like all they had to do was make a phone call to FEMA or 'someone' and magically a person would be rescued. "Just let us know if you need help and we'll make a call".......it was beyond pathetic.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Forum Member

I 've been watching CNN and MSNBC a lot lately instead of Fox and someone on MSNBC mentioned that they could have hired a plane at $200/hour and towed a banner around advising people to make their way to the Superdome where food and water was being delivered.
    Wish the Mayor had done that instead of standing in the streets crying because he couldn't get enough police on the job to help and the Governor hadn't called out the National Guard,as is in her power.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    What's going to bring in more money,showing Bob the friendly fireman putting out the burning chemical warehouse,Steve the brave Air Force PJ riding the hoist cable to pull a family of 7 out of their flooded home,Mike aka Officer Friendly stopping looters from robbing a family of what food they have left on the news,or Sean Penn riding around in his own boat days after the storm(why isn't HE too late?)complaining about the slow federal response to the storm?
    Do you think that people who pretend to do what we do for a living or as volunteers want to be seen as unable to really do these things?

I can understand the spotlight celebs bring with them, which can in some cases be a good thing. In this case, it is. With it comes attention and money like you have said. BUT, my main point is the officials are making double standards. "this area is too uninhabitable, no one should come here, and we won't send any of the firefighters in there yet there", "hey look, there's Opra!" (In the same 'dangerous' place we just spoke of).

There are many skilled resources out there, offering aid, but it's being turned down by the same officials who are screaming that they need help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the basic plot:

Geraldo, my hero
    Geraldo? Scam? How can that be?

My favorite one was Sean Penn. He went out in a boat and it started taking on water almost immediately. No rescues today Spicolli!!

You know, 1023, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Within the last 2 days we've seen the likes of so many famous people driving around in boats & walking around. No doubt in my mind they are doing it for the same reason we want to and they have the resources available to them. Some, however, it appears are doing it for the media coverage and to point blame instead of help. It'd be nice to know how many of those famous people are helping out w/out having a camera turned on.

It also frustrates me that my county's request for assistance gets rejected. Although, I understand with so many F&R offers for assistance around the nation, not everyone can go down to help. The way I perceive this situation is being handled makes me (and I'm sure others) want to go the self-deployment route. I won't, but I understand how people would and I'd support them.

The best was Celine (sp?) Deon on the Larry King show hysterically crying about the situation and her crying seemed so fake, and then Larry goes "Celine, is there anything that you would like to sing about this situation?" First, that's a dumb question, but even worse is that she actually broke into song!
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Forum Member

Sounds kind of like a prepared scene to me.Either that or celebrities reallt are trained seals taught to play songs on horns for fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by mglax13
    The best was Celine (sp?) Deon on the Larry King show hysterically crying about the situation and her crying seemed so fake, and then Larry goes "Celine, is there anything that you would like to sing about this situation?" First, that's a dumb question, but even worse is that she actually broke into song!

Geraldo, my hero
    When I saw him reporting from Iraq, I was wondering why he wasn't one of our first targets to take out.

When I saw him reporting from Iraq, I was wondering why he wasn't one of our first targets to take out.
    Ya mean about the "SECRET" mission about to take place by the military?

Thread Information