Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was I Wrong?

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer
    Agressive isn't necessarily about speed .
    Well said....

Taking a few seconds to cautiously open the door and check conditions before going barelling in there is a wise thing to do, IMO. The fire is not going to spread significantly in those few seconds....may flare up a bit, but there won't be any appreciable spread or additional damage (especially with the slow-burning smoldering conditions you correctly predicted). Tunnel vision is a bad thing. Cranio-rectal inversion is a worse thing, and it sounds like your DC has it...

Dave, with 23 years on "da job", I'm sure you already know you did the right thing....maybe just looking for somewhere to vent?
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 10-02-2005 at 08:40 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by CAPPYY
    I bet you are more motivated than ever to "keep it movin" after gettin your ars chewed. Just like fire tactics, there's Chief'n tactics.
    Well, no. I told him to take me off the acting officer list. This isnt the first "problem" Ive had with him.

He's one of thoese who, as a company officer, did no wrong. Ive had about enough of "well ya know, back when I was the truck Lt.".

Its not all him though. I just cant seem to adapt to my new surroundings. I was a company officer in my former department and pretty much ran things as I saw fit. Very little (if any) "input" from the higher ups. Not that way here. I swear, I think micro-manegment is part of the departments mission statement (lol).

I think it would just be better for both sides if I just stick to driving the BRT. I enjoy that more anyway.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    Dave, with 23 years on "da job", I'm sure you already know you did the right thing....maybe just looking for somewhere to vent?
    Pretty much. Thanks Bro's

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Was the D/C aggressive on the exterior and have the truck bust open all the windows? You done good.

BTW, what started the fire?

Mice with matches?

I think the "offical" cause was electrical. Then again, it seems all our fire are either electrical, lightning or arson.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

Davey boy you gots to hang in there.
    Keep in mind that it will be hard on you to have to work under this guy but a time will come when someone different will come along, have the power, and be lookin to make changes (maybe it will be you) but if all that new guy has to work with is guys that got along with this DC, hows he gonna make those changes. You would be his inside guy.
    Over the years (since '74) I have worked under some real chuckle heads at times! I swear some of them were on a mission to get us all killed! But I hung in there and made leui and captain and now chief. Now I'm the a--hole!!! Things run my way now and from years of humpin hose I got a real good idea of what my guys need and want. The key thing here is that I was here when the time of change arrived. The chuckle heads came and went, seeking glory elswhere. IMHO- hang tough! But good luck in whatever you do Bro.

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Dave,

He is one of the reasons why Firefighters die needlessly each year....how may widows say "My Husband was an aggressive Fireman"? A lot more than say "My Husband was a well educated, experienced professional, who studied the job as well as earning is experience on the street"

I'm sorry, but if I ever take that attitude on the fireground I expect some of my Junior Officers to take me round the back of the pump and kick my butt.

Bruv, you did good. I see no other tactic to use when confronted with a bottled up fire.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Talking

Dave... perchance, is the D/C a newly promoted one? Sometimes the reflection of the new bugles ( or plungers) tend to blind one's vision of common sense!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Mice with matches?

I think the "offical" cause was electrical. Then again, it seems all our fire are either electrical, lightning or arson.
    Electrical in a closet? OK, I understand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Job and the Right Call

You do not have to second guess at all. Everything you did was correct (except the tool thing but you already know that). Sone people are in positions that they really should not be in and just feel like they must comment to comment. Your D/C should have handled this better maybe in the future you can talk to him to get an idea of what he would like you to do in certain situations. I know that seems to help get everone on the same page. Good luck and stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Was I Wrong?

Dave;

Just want to say nice job. You as an acting officer did what your supposed to do. You got your crew home safe at the end of your tour. It doesn't matter if you burned the structure down to the foundation, just so your people go home. You answered your own question about bringing a tool, so you will never do that again. So remember PTB (Protect the Brothers). That's all our jobs. BE SAFE!

Forum Member

Wink

Sounds like you did fine. I qeustion why this officer would even have the balls to say you screwed up if he wasnt at that door with you. The outcome was good no matter how he says you should have done it. And Im sure you learned that tactic from one of your bosse's at some point. He had pretty big bizall's to push the issue. Sounds like he was havin a typical bad boss day

MembersZone Subscriber

Read the book "Blink" and keep trusting that little voice!

Forum Member

I think you did everything fine, minus the tool thing.

Thread Information