Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default American LaFrance SOLD????

According to there website they have sold the company, no buyer named.

Forum Member

Not yet and if you read between the lines they say LIKELY! It's to bad for the dealers and people at the plant they did this in the way they did. Who would buy from them at this time. Until more is known I don't see many orders heading that way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default American Lafrance SOLD????

Not Hebe again ????

Forum Member

Default ALF news link

Here is a link to the ALF website talking about the sell off.

http://americanlafrance.com/interior...p=4&s=22&a=121

MembersZone Subscriber

You knew it was coming. No company who owns a constantly bleeding smaller company is going to tolerate it for long. I say let them go by the way side and keep the original ALF name as a solid reminder of when apparatus where apparatus. Not the last 3 reincarnations the name went through.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2
    You knew it was coming. No company who owns a constantly bleeding smaller company is going to tolerate it for long. I say let them go by the way side and keep the original ALF name as a solid reminder of when apparatus where apparatus. Not the last 3 reincarnations the name went through.
    Ditto, and same thing with Aherens Fox and Mack. Thoese names should be retired.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

I'm sure they'll be bought. The idea of having your "own" ladder line would probably be worth the admission price to at least one player...

This whole "swallow multiple small builders and make a large one which we'll sell off" thing is sad. Becker and RD Murray were reputable folks, it'll be sad to see what happens to them...

Forum Member

Not to mention the folks at MedicMaster/RescueMaster in Sanford,FL. Maybe who ever it is will allow them to build ambulances on Ford and Chevy

Dave- Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that the name Mack should be retired?

Mack still produces chassis that can be purchased for fire/rescue use, they just do not make complete vehicles anymore.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Rumor, and strictly that, is Rosenbaur will end up with them. Just passing on a rumor I heard yesterday.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Lets not forget the people from Southern Coach.

I know that Federal Signal made a run for LTI when Simon sold the business. I wonder if they will try again.

Also, doesn't Rosenbaugher already own RK aerials? It would give them there own chassis though.

I agree it is a shame that all those smaller builders were swallowed up, RD Murray and 3D made good units pre ALF/FREIGHTLINER/DAIMLER/CHRYSLER.

Maybe Alan Saulsbury will buy the ALF line and bring it home to New York where it belongs.

As for retiring names I sell Ahrens Fox and tho they are not the same truck, I think we do sell a good quality product.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Alan Saulsbury could be the new potential ALF buyer; I understand he is involved with ALF process. This would be an interesting company ALF/Saulsbury. If he could undo what E-1 did to Saulsbury in the last couple of years I think they would be in a strong position to provide the apparatus we want. From what I understand from my local ALF rep. an announcement will be made shortly.

Forum Member

I would imagine Alan had some type of non-compete clause with E-1. That's probably why he hasn't gotten back into truck manufacturing since the sale. And Federal Signal/E-1 still owns the plant Preble. Not saying it couldn't be done but it doesn't appear it would be easy.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was told his no-compete is up within the next 6 months or so. Just a thought.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Just curious, but do you think the sale of Saulsbury yielded enough cash to buy a turnkey (more or less) line-up? Let's be honest, Saulsbury built good stuff, but building bodies is one thing. Owning a company that produces chassis, apparatus bodies, aerials, etc. is another very large step.

The chassis line has to be worth something to someone. Quite a few builders used them when they were allowed to. Although setting up a whole new facility to build them somewhere else may not be worth the trouble.

Not that I wouldn't like to see the Saulsbury family producing product again. Eric Saulsbury has been more than helpful with some issues I've had via e-mail, if he sells and builds rigs the same way I understand the loyalty.

However - Rosenbauer has involvement with at least one Saulsbury family member, and there's a lot of cash there...

Forum Member

I'm hearing Rosenbauer is going to purchase them. Eric Saulsbury is a pretty good Roesenbauer dealer in NY. This would give Rosenbauer their own chassis and some new designs and with the input from a Saulsbury, this could be a good investment.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

If Rosenbauer / Saulsbury/ ALF team up this would be quite the manufacturer. I suspect the final details will be announced when all the top management agree to final new structure. Where will the new headquarters be? I think the timing of Alan Saulsbury no-compete cause has been a factor in this merger.

Forum Member

Question

Its strange it almost seems that everybody is "relieved" that ALF is being sold. As far as I'm concerned the only asset ALF has is the LTI line, the chassis has been around a while, and quite frankly HME and Spartan have a better chassis than anything ALF is pushing. We have been looking at aerials and we like Rosenbauer but the RK ladder is not nearly up to what a LTI is. How many department but a "LTI" and not necesarily thought the ALF Eagle was the best chassis to put it on??? So I wouldn't be surprised if they bought it purely for the LTI line and dumped the chassis and bodies. But here we go again a "corporation" aquiring assets, what it things aren't going well for Rosenbauer in a few years........???

MembersZone Subscriber

So what about the department that have ALF's? We have had our for 18 months, been in the shop probably four of them for warranty work. It will be back again tommorrow to our station. Hopefully it will stay with us this time.

Thread Information