Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TCFire
    Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

He set the tone when it was most needed. Most definitely a "John Wayne dude".

Seeing this guy reminded me of General George S. Patton. Honoro was out on the street cussing at the troops to turn the muzzels down on their weapons, screaming at them and directing traffic and helicopters. Not the place for a LT. GENERAL to be doing!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

US Coast Gaurd
    Canada
    FDNY
    Texas
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    ABSOULTELY! You know what? Not long after that story broke, I saw some fool official on TV saying he might face charges.
    I haven't heard that! I would not doubt it though!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put me on that jury!
    I couldn't agree more.

Random thought: Apparently the flooding has forced a couple of trolls out from under their bridges and they've sought refuge here in the forums. If we don't feed them, maybe they will move somewhere else.
    Possible, but they have been known to survive from the food in their hump for long periods of time.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

the shame of it is, all the Washington DC ****** bags (mostly democrats) bashing the efforts. they say the local, state and fed response failed, they're implying the fire, coast guard, ems and police failed. they need to clarify, it was the politicians in these areas that failed and should step down NOW. from the mayor (it ain't at my fault -it bushs fault) to the governor (let's let them sit in the filth a few more days before we force the residents out). the only race that matters is the race against TIME.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Il MABAS System!
    Within 24 hours of receiving a notification about needs they mobilized dozens of trucks and 600 FF's to releive the NO brethren.
    Of course the LA EOC doesn't remeber sending out a call to IL but we did get the call. (ie no self deployment here)
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps
    the shame of it is, all the Washington DC ****** bags (mostly democrats) bashing the efforts. they say the local, state and fed response failed, they're implying the fire, coast guard, ems and police failed. they need to clarify, it was the politicians in these areas that failed and should step down NOW. from the mayor (it ain't at my fault -it bushs fault) to the governor (let's let them sit in the filth a few more days before we force the residents out). the only race that matters is the race against TIME.
    DC ****** bags? I think not, it is the elected officialls from around the rest of the country running their mouths. DC metro area residents realize that the screw-up was systemic to such a large buracracy and a lack of anyone person taking the lead. DC ****** Bags? NO, they are only what the rest of the country sends to Washington. Quit sending such partisens if you don't want to hear the crap, send STATESMEN!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

AMEN to that Dennis. What we need to do is get the politicians out of DC and get some real representation. Politicians that truly listen to those that sent them. this applies to both sides of the isle.
    The short and skinny on this mess is that EVERYONE SCREWED UP. But you know what? It happens, lets figure out what went wrong, correct it, quit trying to hang the blame on any one person and get these people taken care of in their hour of need.

Quote Originally Posted by chrnea
    AMEN to that Dennis. What we need to do is get the politicians out of DC and get some real representation. Politicians that truly listen to those that sent them. this applies to both sides of the isle.
    Get your neighbors to vote their conscience and their brain rather then their partisan ideas and we might be able to have that. But who is really going to be willing to go first?
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    DC ****** bags? I think not, it is the elected officialls from around the rest of the country running their mouths. DC metro area residents realize that the screw-up was systemic to such a large buracracy and a lack of anyone person taking the lead. DC ****** Bags? NO, they are only what the rest of the country sends to Washington. Quit sending such partisens if you don't want to hear the crap, send STATESMEN!

i was speaking of the elected officals from around the country (ie: nancy pelosi crowd). i wasn't talking about the residents of DC.

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps
    i was speaking of the elected officals from around the country (ie: nancy pelosi crowd). i wasn't talking about the residents of DC.
    And so it is only the other guy that elects crappy leaders?
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

was speaking of the elected officals from around the country (ie: nancy pelosi crowd). i wasn't talking about the residents of DC.
    PLease don't go there hosehead! This is not the place for this. This disaster is a sisaster not because only one party screwed up but because the entire system failed. Starting with local gov't. There are good dems and bad dems. there are good Rep's and bad ones. Just ask IL about its former Gov Ryan. He was a Rep, and he was corrupt as I believe Blanco is and as inept. This disaster only proves one thing, when major Natural disaster strikes don't count on any massive relief effort for at least a week and be prepared to last that long on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer
    Seeing this guy reminded me of General George S. Patton. Honoro was out on the street cussing at the troops to turn the muzzels down on their weapons, screaming at them and directing traffic and helicopters. Not the place for a LT. GENERAL to be doing!!
    Ok..

If this were a combat operation I would agree that a Lt. General needed to be in a CIC, not on the front lines. This was not a combat operation, there was apparently a huge leadership void on the ground, and this soldier stepped in and by all appearances filled that void.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

This disaster only proves one thing, when major Natural disaster strikes don't count on any massive relief effort for at least a week and be prepared to last that long on your own.
    I always assumed most folks did that BEFORE this latest disaster.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    I always assumed most folks did that BEFORE this latest disaster.
    So did I but obviuosly if there was water and supplies to be looted, not very many of them did. Or did they just plan on looting once the storm hit.....? Things that make you go HMMMMM

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer
    Actually nothing motivates the troops to get into full gear and give it 110% like seeing your commanding officer making you look bad. I remember once there was an issue on the ship and the was a bunch of young officers standing around trying to decide what to do. The Captian of my ship (USS NIMITZ) walked in took one look at what the situation was, rolled up his sleeves and got dirty right there in front of these youn Jr. Officers. After getting the ball rolling and they got into gear, he stood up, looked at them and said to them, Nothing gets a job done faster like getting it done! (For those that don't get it-Standing around debating how to do it still accomplishes nothing) By stepping in and getting the job started he motivated those guys and wach one of them today would tell you the same thing. Sometimes the boss has to get involved a little more to emphasize how he wants it to go, rather than standing back and spewing orders.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Kudos now, and until....

There are many visible individuals and efforts. There are many unsung heros as well, as always. The New Orleans coverage is getting the lion's share of air time, but we know the affected areas have now been increased from 12 to 14 States. "She" visited about 21 States.

As far as doing amazingly good things, I hate to list and innocently leave out someone. The local Fire Services in these areas, and their Law Enforcement counterparts are always the folks making the difference locally. The EMS Expo resources, perhaps unlucky for them, were a great additional resource. Some might recall details of the OKC Incident. Preparations (as I was told) for a restaurant Show was setting up at the Myriad Convention Center already, and became useful in the aftermath, supporting the Forces. Most of us know about US&R and DMAT resources, and they've been involved since early on. DMORT, like in OKC, is another unsung hero. Their work continues outside the Media coverage. The USCG has been mentioned, and rightly so! But they're doing so much more. They have to provide security, Port assistance, Hazards to Navigation clean-up all along the coast and beyond, and many other activities. Probably every Fed agency has a role in this Crisis. The Fed's efforts in this Crisis has been most admirable, and far more effective than what the nay-sayers like to pick at.

The mass Media, with some exception, hasn't been helpful. The celebrities looking for camera time are usually not genuine or helpful. They only seek to rescue their carrers. The celebs in the kitchens, or asking for donations, are helpful. The many homeowners, Youth groups, and other groups helping are always what makes America the standard to follow.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Actually nothing motivates the troops to get into full gear and give it 110% like seeing your commanding officer making you look bad. Sometimes the boss has to get involved a little more to emphasize how he wants it to go, rather than standing back and spewing orders.

I'd add that nothing breeds success like success. Getting the ball rolling in the right direction can be the tough part. After that, things tend to take care of themselves.

Disaster recovery might be achieved by committee, but disaster response will only be accomplished with leadership.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

The mass Media, with some exception, hasn't been helpful. The celebrities looking for camera time are usually not genuine or helpful. They only seek to rescue their carrers.
    You mean like Sean Penn and his sinking boat that was so full of camera crew and his entourage that he couldn't have helped anybody anyways? And then has the gall to go on national T.V. and say that President Bush should be arrested and charged with negligent homicide?

Or maybe Kanya West talking out of his black *** about racism during a fund raiser and possibly costing the Red Cross millions in donations?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Default Ditto

Well, yeah...what you said. I was a little soft in my description, haha, but that's the kind of thing that was making me upset. If I had the power (I don't, so they're safe), I would direct these homemovie heroes to community service in affected areas. And no cameras allowed, haha! Hmmm, no cameras...guess that would be pretty hard on them.

Lightbulb Steal the U-Haul, but don't return it!

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    ABSOULTELY! You know what? Not long after that story broke, I saw some fool official on TV saying he might face charges.[/I]
    A friend of mine from north Louisiana told me the story of a group of people who "acquired" an abandoned U-Haul van in New Orleans. They loaded up inside and drove north to safety. Once they arrived, they found a local U-Haul dealer and returned the truck to them. Supposedly, the guy at the U-Haul place called the police. Some people...

Thread Information