MembersZone Subscriber

Default Who do you think had their act together?

I know there's plenty of criticism being handed out, and rightly so. But who had their act together? I mean really squared-away, on top of things, improvise-adapt-overcome, had-their-$#!t-together when this disaster happened?

My short list:

Local Fire/Police/EMS personnel (with a very few bad-apple exceptions)

The U.S. Coast Guard

General Honorre

The Press (like 'em or not, they were there and doing their jobs en masse long before the Feds showed up.)

The City of Houston

The State of Texas

There have to be others. Who else deserves a tip of the helmet?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I'll agree with most of what you already said, I haven't been able to see alot about the local first responders other than the bad news of a couple of suicides and looting. However I feel that is isolated and overall I'm sure most of the locals did outstanding jobs considering what they were dealt. As far as the Coast Gaurd I would have to broaden that to the whole military, whom I can't thank enough for the things they do everyday. I'm sure that there are many at the federal level who are doing outstanding jobs considering they have some clearly imcpomitent people at the very top of the FEMA ladder. For that matter I am sure that there are tons of people at a silent furious pace making this a smooth of an operation as can be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks at the EMS conference in New Orleans who pitched in at their hotels or at the Superdome.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Administrator

- Folks at EMS Expo who either stayed behind or couldn't get earlier flights. They were really heroic. No equipment, sub-par conditions, no commuication. They did quite a bit and their stories will come out more and more. Its probably only a few dozen, but still some impressive stories.

- Every bit of hundreds of thousands of firefighters and EMS personnel who have asked to go, want to go, will go, etc. over the coming days, weeks and months. All red tape and planning issue aside, you know thousands of responders would have been there the next day if called.

Forum Member

I agree with the above but also Folks like Chief Jerry Gautreaux of the Bayou Cane VFD and the many many others from the south Louisiana / Mississippi area who, after the storm passed, loaded gear, supplies, basically any & everything they could find from their local areas and proceeded to haul it to any and everyone they could reach.
    Chief Jerry not only hauled to the other volunteer departments in the area he also made some loads into the NOFD as well.
    As soon as he saw that his folks had made it through the storm and had enough to get by, the first thought was to ALL of their neighbors.
    THAT is how it is done !!!
    I am sure there will be hundreds more stories like this later.
    Like we try to do here, Take care of your neighbors and they will take care of you when you need it.

Also to Firehouse.Com staff/ webteam. As always on top of it all !!!!!
    Thanks guys
    Asst Chief Tyler Sitzer
    Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue Dept, Weiner, ARK

Forum Member

The military choppers and CG air assests did some amazing things while I was there.

Very impresses with the folks running the operation from the west side. Had no contact with any other part of the management structure.

National Guard.

Had no contact with NOPD or NOFD as they were concerned with the downtown area.

Red Cross did anything we asked and provided what they could to the fire personnel.

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNY. Regardless of the FEMA "no, we don't need you" response to everyone, they were shoulder to shoulder in New Orleans with NOFD.

Forum Member

Jabbar Gibson and the thousands of people that helped each other.

http://amygdalagf.blogspot.com/2005/...n-we-cant.html

Edited to correct the young man's first name
    Last edited by Skwerl530; 09-07-2005 at 10:39 PM.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Forum Member

Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

He set the tone when it was most needed. Most definitely a "John Wayne dude".
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

MembersZone Subscriber

State of Ms apparently did (and much harder hit by the hurricane)

State of La did not even have an act.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..............

Don't Forget Ferrarra Fire and Walmart. Businesses who cared about their employees and neighbors.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The faith community took in countless refugees, doling out aid either they provided, or which was shipped to them.

No institution of government has this capacity. Without this community, I am afraid many more would have perished, if only because hopelessness lets down an immune system and immune systems need to be working to prevent grave illness.

This community most definitely has its act together and will continue to have its act together well after first responders have gone home.

Forum Member

I totally agree with the last poster. It is the people of faith, not the $19.94/hour FEMA heros that make the difference. I am really sick of this useless fingerpointing/good guys search. It's a friggin disaster, help or stand aside and I don't care what union you belong to.

Mike

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mkjhartmann
    I totally agree with the last poster. It is the people of faith, not the $19.94/hour FEMA heros that make the difference. I am really sick of this useless fingerpointing/good guys search. It's a friggin disaster, help or stand aside and I don't care what union you belong to.

Mike
    You are way outof line. Go grind your axe on some other forum.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Some Guy

U.S. COAST GUARD
    This space for rent

Forum Member

The looters, they had the brains to use a forklift to bust into the Walgreen's, it was the most creative solution to any problem encountered last week.

After that the Media who somehow were able to get their top corrispondents and anchors into NewOrleans days before the National Guard or FEMA got there.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

The Teen that aquired the school bus and drove about 70 people to houston. That young man had his head on straight.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default the truth hurts Capt.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    You are way outof line. Go grind your axe on some other forum.
    Seems as though the nerve has been hit, finnaly the truth comes out and it hurts. Grind your axe somewhere else huh, not quite, I agree with that poster that a true brother in the Fire Department Family would have not be worrying about a the paycheck. They would go to help the brothers in need as many of us did in the "Pit" in NY during 9-11. Capt. you are wrong pal.

MembersZone Subscriber

to: FEMAwhatajoke

Well, it certainly takes a lot of "nerve" to come here and bash someone annonymously!

Your post will be given plenty of merit. There done.

You are now dismissed.

You will now be returned to your original thread...

MembersZone Subscriber

The Teen that aquired the school bus and drove about 70 people to houston. That young man had his head on straight.
    ABSOULTELY! You know what? Not long after that story broke, I saw some fool official on TV saying he might face charges.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put me on that jury!

Random thought: Apparently the flooding has forced a couple of trolls out from under their bridges and they've sought refuge here in the forums. If we don't feed them, maybe they will move somewhere else.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TCFire
    Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

He set the tone when it was most needed. Most definitely a "John Wayne dude".

Seeing this guy reminded me of General George S. Patton. Honoro was out on the street cussing at the troops to turn the muzzels down on their weapons, screaming at them and directing traffic and helicopters. Not the place for a LT. GENERAL to be doing!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

US Coast Gaurd
    Canada
    FDNY
    Texas
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    ABSOULTELY! You know what? Not long after that story broke, I saw some fool official on TV saying he might face charges.
    I haven't heard that! I would not doubt it though!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put me on that jury!
    I couldn't agree more.

Random thought: Apparently the flooding has forced a couple of trolls out from under their bridges and they've sought refuge here in the forums. If we don't feed them, maybe they will move somewhere else.
    Possible, but they have been known to survive from the food in their hump for long periods of time.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Permanently Removed

the shame of it is, all the Washington DC ****** bags (mostly democrats) bashing the efforts. they say the local, state and fed response failed, they're implying the fire, coast guard, ems and police failed. they need to clarify, it was the politicians in these areas that failed and should step down NOW. from the mayor (it ain't at my fault -it bushs fault) to the governor (let's let them sit in the filth a few more days before we force the residents out). the only race that matters is the race against TIME.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Il MABAS System!
    Within 24 hours of receiving a notification about needs they mobilized dozens of trucks and 600 FF's to releive the NO brethren.
    Of course the LA EOC doesn't remeber sending out a call to IL but we did get the call. (ie no self deployment here)
    To those whom much has been given, much shall be required.
    Chickens don't really exist....they are actually eggs with legs!

Thread Information