Forum Member

Default Celebrities and not Responders?

This was a thread I started in another forum, I didn't realize this one was here. There are some good replies to it in the "off Duty" forum though.

One thing that I seriously can't understand in this whole mess, is FEMA and what other authorities turning away responders, or not even using the ones that have been called by them, yet many high profile celebrities are allowed in? When did this turn from being an aid mission to a carnival?

I can understand the help some of this can provide. Helping keep the public attention on whats going on, these celebs donating their time/money to help, and the need for organized deployement of skilled repsponders is key. It just seems to me that some of these authorities aren't consistent with their actions. They talk about how dangerous of a situation it is in some areass, with crime, disease and other hazards, yet they allow untrained people to come in to look around, and turn the skilled professionals away? Not using the resources at hand?

Maybe it's just me feeling frustrated as are many others who would like to respond, but are not being utilized. I'm sure after all is said and done, we'll get to see some more lovely intervention by the federal government like we saw with NIMS. Wonder what happend with that in this situation...

Just and opinion, and lots of frustration.

Forum Member

Talking nims

National Incident Mis-management systems

Forum Member

Highly agreed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2
    ...or acting lessons. I heard a report last night on MSNBC that Sean Penn had not heard from a few friends, so he got a magazine to assign him to write a story--which apparently gives him media credentials. While working on the story he hopes to look for his friends.

Seems to me that disaster scenes are much more accessible to actors, activists, entertainers, and the press than they are to people who have the training and necessary equipment to do some real benefit. (okay, maybe Sean picked up some first aid training while watching paramedics treat at least one wife)

Perhaps with the next revision of FF 1-2 training the practicals could include singing, dancing and creative writing. Then guys like LeBlanc from up the road could have a chance to make a difference.

Sorry, i've been holding that in for 5 or 6 days and the Sean Penn thing just put me over the top. Rant ended, now i can go back to waiting for the call.
    earl
    Just a little something i posted in another thread over the weekend. i have taken my Ritalin and am much calmer now.
    earl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2
    Just a little something i posted in another thread over the weekend. i have taken my Ritalin and am much calmer now.
    earl

I wonder what system the feds are going to come up with now and label it as their own. ICS (that we've used for decades) relabeled as NIMS and give the feds credit, what's next? I also find it interesting that the same people who say that all responders have to be certified in NIMS, couldn't implement their great plan.

Thread Information