Thread: Love the media

Some Guy

Unhappy Love the media

Has anyone else noticed that the media seems mad they they have not found more bodies. It like they are let down that they can't keep running up the body count. Look at the new heads lines "25,000 body bags sent to New Orleans."" Mayor reports up to 10,000 dead!" One of the greatest natural disasters (if not the biggest) there is more of a concern that 25,000 body bags have been sent down. Last night the news was reporting that the official death toll was around 300. But then they start with the "you just wait there are going to be 1,000's more." I swear it just seems that they are let down that they can not report more people dead. The media is all kinds of evil.

Just remember. Media is big business. They are all in it for the mega money. The more death, destruction, and corruption they can report, the more people are going to stay glued to their TVs. Also keep in mind, how many times has there been a news report about your department or something you know about completely wrong. How many times have you been completely misquoted. Yet there is nothing you can do about it. So why would you believe that every thing you read and saw on the news was 100% accurate?

Lets all come together help the people (not refugees) and worry about pointing fingers later.
    Stay safe everyone.
    This space for rent

Sr. Information Officer

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    Has anyone else noticed that the media seems mad they they have not found more bodies. It like they are let down that they can't keep running up the body count.
    No Kyle.....that thought hasn't entered my mind. I work at ABC News in Manhattan....and I can assure you that people here are not running around hoping for the body count to go up. And I promise you...the first person here that suggests that....I will personally attend to.

NJ
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I find that the accounts of confirmed dead have been conspiciously few. I think the rescue teams have a good idea how many we're talking about, because they're out there every day counting. Those numbers are getting back to the mayor and that's where these 10,000 and 15,000 references come from, but the official death toll won't be reported until they begin recovering and documenting those bodies. Remember, they are only just now beginning to retrieve bodies....up till now they were bypassing them in search of live victims. Generally they are securing the bodies where found (tying off to a signpost, for example) until they can return for them.

What those guys are going through is a terrible thing....bodies are just being left out in the sun or floating in the water until someone can get to them. I can't help but be reminded of the graves registration units in World War II whose job it was to come in after battles and retrieve and catalogue the bodies of the fallen....What an awful job....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I now know how NJFFSA16 gets all the news first.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5pts384
    I now know how NJFFSA16 gets all the news first.
    That does explain it some, doesn't it.

Speaking of media... Did Chris Rock just say what I think he just said?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I don't think they are hoping for more bodies. But it does remind me of after 9-11 when the estimated bodycount kept decreasing each week.

Early Adopter

Question

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman
    Has anyone else noticed that the media seems mad they they have not found more bodies. It like they are let down that they can't keep running up the body count.
    Why would the media be mad that they aren't finding more bodies?

Forum Member

Default Don't be mad.

The poster will have to defend that themselves, but I wouldn't say (haven't seen it) Media is mad about low numbers. I do understand they want the sensationalism of whatever it is. In my own case, I watch/read many forms and channels for a more total picture of a thing. In this Crisis, I even watch all the Networks I don't like, because I want to see everything I can. I surf away quickly when any of them start trying to say negative things about official Response to this. That's not even important for the next month, and is counterproductive when much needs to be done.

Forum Member

Question Media will Move On!

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis
    Why would the media be mad that they aren't finding more bodies?
    What a deep subject! I would not say there mad,however more bodies would be a better headline than running the same old rescue footage with responders pulling folks from roof tops.Those roof top rescues are getting a little old to the media and the public.This event LIKE SO MANY OTHERS will start slowing fading from the headlines.Life goes on!The media with be off to the next big body count!
    Last edited by coldfront; 09-10-2005 at 01:51 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

What will be the cost of media coverage for the hurricane?

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by NJFFSA16
    No Kyle.....that thought hasn't entered my mind. I work at ABC News in Manhattan....and I can assure you that people here are not running around hoping for the body count to go up. And I promise you...the first person here that suggests that....I will personally attend to.

NJ

Okay, so maybe it is that way at ABC....but you aren't running 24/7 coverage. I was just watching one of the news channels (which one I couldn't say because I switch back and forth at every commercial) but they were discussing FEMA telling the media not to film bodies. And their correspondents were arguing that they "needed" to film that to truly "tell the story" of what they were facing down there.

Yeah...that's it...just reporting the facts....nothing about the sensationalism of death and destruction at all!!!

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront
    I would not say there mad,however more bodies would be a better headline than running the same old rescue footage with responders pulling folks from roof tops.
    The body count will be a big story regardless of what it is as it's the ultimate cost of this disaster... An increased number of victims does not equate to increased ratings for television news.

Forum Member

The old saying is " the news doesn't report about planes landing safely now does it?"
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Default If you're switching channels back and forth?

What will be the cost of media coverage for the hurricane?
    The cost of media coverage is that again they prove their unreliability as each place their own spin. For goodness sakes, one channel says force is not being used to remove holdouts and the next station shows National Guardsmen handcuffing a holdout as the holdout states he will have to be shot to be removed.

The cost will be even more people who don't trust the media.

Thankfully not as many have perished as could have with the terrible natural disasters, but as usual, be careful what you read and watch.

We all know responders who are there or have been and returned, if you want the truth, talk with them.

Accountability, someone is dreaming....

Forum Member

I don't think that is more like conflicting information coming from the goverment officials. One bafoon says force will be used. Another one says force won't be used. Then another 3rd bafoon says everyone has to leave but no comment on force. It's fairly evident that the local goverment still has no clue what they are doing. Is everyone leaving or not and why.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Unhappy Bodies recover is big news! CNN suit filed!

CNN filed suit for right to cover search for bodies of Katrina victims

Sunday, September 11, 2005; Posted: 10:24 a.m. EDT (14:24 GMT)

Disaster Relief
    or Create Your Own
    Manage Alerts | What Is This? HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- Rather than fight a lawsuit by CNN, the federal government abandoned its effort Saturday to prevent the media from reporting on the recovery of the dead in New Orleans.

Joint Task Force Katrina "has no plans to bar, impede or prevent news media from their news gathering and reporting activities in connection with the deceased Hurricane Katrina victim recovery efforts," said Col. Christian E. deGraff, representing the task force.

U.S. District Court Judge Keith Ellison issued a temporary restraining order Friday against a "zero access" policy announced earlier in the day by Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, who is overseeing the federal relief effort in the city, and Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security director.

In explaining the ban, Ebbert said, "we don't think that's proper" to let members of the media view the bodies.

Army Lt. Col. Richard Steele, a member of Honore's staff, told CNN Saturday night that Honore was partly misunderstood. Steele said Honore meant that no media would be allowed to be imbedded with teams recovering bodies. However, recovery groups would not prevent reporters from doing their jobs, he added.

"He did not say we're going to ban anybody. We're not going to restrict them from any public areas whatsoever," Steele said. "We don't have any legal recourse to do any kind of law enforcement or anything like that in our role. So the only thing we do is we can control who goes with us; on our aircraft and on our trucks and in our boats, if that applies."

The judge was to consider granting a permanent injunction Saturday when the government announced its decision not to enforce the "zero access" policy. (Court transcript)

Reacting to the decision, CNN News Group President Jim Walton said, "We are pleased by the decision. The free flow of information is vital for a free society."

In an e-mail to CNN staff on Friday, Walton said the network filed the the lawsuit to "prohibit any agency from restricting its ability to fully and fairly cover" the hurricane victim recovery process.

"As seen most recently from war zones in Afghanistan and Iraq, from tsunami-ravaged South Asia and from Hurricane Katrina's landfall along the Gulf," Walton wrote, "CNN has shown that it is capable of balancing vigorous reporting with respect for private concerns."

CNN filed suit against Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown, arguing that the officials who announced the decision were acting on FEMA's behalf.

"For an agency to unilaterally ban all coverage of a major component of its governmental function, that is, recovery of the deceased victims of the tragedy, is unprecedented," CNN argued in its legal brief. "Instead, the agency has made a subjective, content-based determination that publicizing the operation would be 'without dignity.'"

CNN's brief argued, "It is not the place of government to replace its own internal judgment for that of a free and independent media."

Because of controversy about how FEMA and other agencies handled the disaster response, CNN lawyers argued, "it is even more vitally important for the public, Congress and the administration to have an independent view of the conduct of this important phase of the operation."
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Permanently Removed

Whatever....

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow more dead

Let me tell you that once the water is gone the number of dead is going to be mind blowing. I'm one of the firefighters shafted by FEMA pushing papers. What I have heard from people from N.O. is that there are shelters and places full of people that were flooded or colapsed.
    -Lu

Thread Information