Forum Member

If you've ever heard the good Dr.speak it would sound more like "MOID-ERD"
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Excellent commentary. Thanks for posting it, Tyler.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    If you've ever heard the good Dr.speak it would sound more like "MOID-ERD"
    And I believe that it is pronounced:
    N-Awlinz!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

For that bad taste, I find that a Mike's Hard Lemonade usually does the trick.

As for playing nice, I personally am trying to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT:
    I dont have a problem with ol' Babs. However, when you are a public person everything you say in public is going to be held to close scrutiny. She used a poor choice of words and to many it sounds insensitive.
    Maybe she should have attended sensitivity training in Atlanta before self-deploying.

Forum Member

Hell. They are getting better food, clothing, medical care, houseing, and more money now than they did 2 weeks ago. For many of them this IS an upgrade.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

How about you forget this topic and move on....... perhaps do somthing a little more productive with your time......... like........ go help the problems down there yourself. Forget what people are or arn't doing and focus on the real problems.
    T*J*R

MembersZone Subscriber

Everybody is ragging on Bush and Brown (who is getting recalled to Washington). Where were all the complaints last year when 4, thats FOUR Hurricanes hit Florida last year.

I'm sure there were problems with FEMA then. But no one called for their heads last year.

People need to prepare for these emergencies as directed. 3 Day Survival kits etc........... The people in Florida may have been better prepared. And as I recalled many of them took a pounding...

Who do some of these Democrats want to run FEMA ? William Shatner and the STAR SHIP ENTERPRISE to "Beam Aboard" some of the people and supplies..

Do I agree with everything they have done--NO!!!

As firefighters we should all know;
    There is a time and a place for a critique- Now is not the time and New Orleans is not the place and neither is the six o'clock news like the two female
    flee bag Senators are using it for!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100

Who do some of these Democrats want to run FEMA ? William Shatner and the STAR SHIP ENTERPRISE to "Beam Aboard" some of the people and supplies..
    This Republican says: How about just bring back James Lee Witt, IF we can get him to take the job back.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Found this on Wikipedia - Kind of Funny

James Lee Witt (born 6 January 1944) was Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) during the administration of President Bill Clinton.

James Lee Witt was born in Paris, Arkansas and was raised in Dardanelle, Yell County, Arkansas. Witt started his own construction business in 1968. At age 34 he was elected County Judge of Yell County. Witt was reelected to the post 6 times and was recognized by the National Association of Counties for his work. Witt was a charter Board Chairman of Child Development, Incorporated which works to advance Head Start programs.

In 1988 Witt was appointed by then-Governor Bill Clinton to be the head of the Arkansas Office of Emergency Services where he reorganized the state's emergency management process.

When Bill Clinton was elected President he appointed Witt to head the Federal Emergency Management Agency and he was confirmed by the U.S. Senate in 1993. During his tenure Clinton elevated FEMA to cabinet status, and Witt overturned FEMA's previously poor reputation. A 1992 interim report by the US Congress (prior to Hurricane Andrew led to further criticism of FEMA) had said that "FEMA is widely viewed as a political dumping ground, a turkey farm, if you will, where large numbers of positions exist that can be conveniently and quietly filled by political appointment..."[1] By 1996 an Atlanta Journal-Constitution editorial said that "FEMA has developed a sterling reputation for delivering disaster-relief services, a far cry from its abysmal standing before James Lee Witt took its helm in 1993. How did Witt turn FEMA around so quickly? Well, he is the first director of the agency to have emergency-management experience. He stopped the staffing of the agency by political patronage. He removed layers of bureaucracy. Most important, he instilled in the agency a spirit of preparedness, of service to the customer, of willingness to listen to ideas of local and state officials to make the system work better."[2]

Witt's term of office saw approximately 348 Presidential declared disaster areas in more than 6,500 counties and in all 50 states and territories. Witt supervised the response to the most costly flood disaster in the nation's history at that time, the most costly earthquake, and a dozen serious hurricanes.

Witt is currently President of James Lee Witt Associates, LLC which provides consulting on emergency and disaster preparedness to local and state governments. Witt also serves as CEO of the International Code Council which sets international standards for building construction.

On September 3, 2005, he was hired by Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco to oversee reconstruction efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Witt has been mentioned as a potential Democratic candidate for Governor of Arkansas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100
    Everybody is ragging on Bush and Brown (who is getting recalled to Washington). Where were all the complaints last year when 4, thats FOUR Hurricanes hit Florida last year.

I'm sure there were problems with FEMA then. But no one called for their heads last year.
    The way I see it, Florida was prepared and took the necessary actions and enacted EOPs before the hurricanes hit. They use FEMA as it's intended, as a coordinating agency. Tell FEMA what you need, they get it for you. Expect FEMA to come in and take over what was a mess from the get-go, and you get what is going on now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    The way I see it, Florida was prepared and took the necessary actions and enacted EOPs before the hurricanes hit. They use FEMA as it's intended, as a coordinating agency. Tell FEMA what you need, they get it for you. Expect FEMA to come in and take over what was a mess from the get-go, and you get what is going on now.

Florida also has a Governor who's got his act together and doesn't really need FEMA's help. GG Jeb
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

[QUOTE=
    NOTE: This should not be construed as an argument. I have not called anyone names or have I insulted their lineage. this is merely an honest misunderstanding between me and my esteemed colleague from Chicago. i actually love and respect him and would never dream of insulting him, or any other member of the fier service.[/QUOTE]

Watch out george - the web team seems to have very delicate sensibilities.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Watch out george - the web team seems to have very delicate sensibilities.
    I love the Web Team, too.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by KemalT
    I think that's a little unfair to Barb Bush & GWB too. I think there are big problems but Bush is doing a fair job, and I would say the same if Kerry or any other person was president.
    It's no wonder Bush got re-elected....from the opinions on this thread it seems there are a few of you out of touch with reality.

I won't bother to go into why I think Dubya is a horrible president and has cast this country into a state of hopelessness only rivaled by the Great Depression...we are talking about devastation from a hurricane....a natural disaster that has nothing to do with politics. I wish everyone would leave race, social class and politics out of the damn mess. No doubt....politics have probably caused this disaster to be worse than it needed to be, but I don't see the point of spending millions investigating what went wrong with the response...it didn't work for 9/11, and obviously we didn't learn anything from that.

Back to the original point, regardless of what Barbara Bush really meant by saying that is a mute point, the fact is...she is a public figure (who happens to be rich, white, and happens to be the mother of the President) and should have either chosen her words more carefully or just kept her mouth shut entirely.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    ...but I don't see the point of spending millions investigating what went wrong with the response.....
    How about a few thousand dead bodies that shouldn't be there? How about so those who failed are held accountable? How about so it doesn't happen again.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    How about a few thousand dead bodies that shouldn't be there? How about so those who failed are held accountable? How about so it doesn't happen again.

If you had quoted all that I posted, I was trying to make the point that it won't do any good to investigate it. They did the same thing after 9/11 and obviously we didn't learn a damn thing from it. If we could take what we learn from these mis-managed disasters, and apply them to future incidents, we might get along better, but it never happens. It (the investigation) is a smoke screen deployed to save face for certain politicians who look bad because of it!

If I thought there'd be some benefit, I'd say carry on, but I think that money could be better spent elsewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    It's no wonder Bush got re-elected....from the opinions on this thread it seems there are a few of you out of touch with reality.

I won't bother to go into why I think Dubya is a horrible president and has cast this country into a state of hopelessness only rivaled by the Great Depression...we are talking about devastation from a hurricane....a natural disaster that has nothing to do with politics. I wish everyone would leave race, social class and politics out of the damn mess. No doubt....politics have probably caused this disaster to be worse than it needed to be, but I don't see the point of spending millions investigating what went wrong with the response...it didn't work for 9/11, and obviously we didn't learn anything from that.

Back to the original point, regardless of what Barbara Bush really meant by saying that is a mute point, the fact is...she is a public figure (who happens to be rich, white, and happens to be the mother of the President) and should have either chosen her words more carefully or just kept her mouth shut entirely.
    1. Leave the politics out of it...as long as you get your jabs in, right? I'm not in a state of hopelessness. In fact, my life has never been more prosperous or financially secure than it has been in the past 3 or 4 years. I don't know a single soul who is in a state of hopelessness. Most of the people I know are damn glad PRes. Bush is in office.

2. I want them to spend billions to investigate the response if they have to. Because it will show that FEMA may have made some mistakes, because this is a disaster of unprecendented scope. But FEMA responded exactly as FEMA was supposed to respond. The root cause of "this mess" lies right over there in LA-in the NO Mayor's Office and the LA Governor's Office.

3. Barbara Bush has a record of being one of the most compassionate and giving First Lady's ever. She is also elderly, She has nothing to apologize for. She needn't choose here words any more carefully. She said something that, horrors, is probably correct-just not politically correct.

4. What if the "thousands of bodies" aren't there? What if thousands of people were killed by the hurricane because they were not able to leave their homes? That is not FEMA. That is not the federal government. That is an incompetent Mayor and an indecisive and stupid Governor.

Forum Member

In other words, instead of the feds only doing only their job, they had to do their job and scramble to make up for the mess that was dumped in their lap by the local and state bafoons. Had the city and state not bungled it, there would probably have only been a small (aka-normal) amount of mistakes on the part of the feds. The city and state let it get out of control, then screamed at the feds to fix their own mess and fix it now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    In other words, instead of the feds only doing only their job, they had to do their job and scramble to make up for the mess that was dumped in their lap by the local and state bafoons. Had the city and state not bungled it, there would probably have only been a small (aka-normal) amount of mistakes on the part of the feds. The city and state let it get out of control, then screamed at the feds to fix their own mess and fix it now.
    In a word...EXACTLY!

MembersZone Subscriber

On a myriad of topics that have been tied to discussions on taxes, many have come to these forums and complained about the misdirection of tax money (I don't want MY taxes to pay for it), that there taxes are too high, that our tax money is being wasted and have stated emphatically that, THEY created their mess; let them pay for it!"
    But that is exactly what we have going on in New Orleans. Had the mayor and governor had a practicable plan in place, much less tax money would be spent and the relief organizations would be spending more. In other words; more donated money and less TAX money would go to assist in this incident.
    Remember all of the homes in the flood plains along the Mississippi? Government finally got smart and said, "you know; we have re-built your home three times. If you are foolish enough to build there again, we are not paying to replace it and the insurance companies won't sell you flood insurance. You are absolutely on your own.

Then, the taxpayers even bought these people out.
    New Orleans should be treated no differently.
    So; get above the flood plain and get New Orleans back on their feet...
    THROUGH PRIVATE INVESTMENT.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Your not suggesting [shudder] common sense????!!!?!?!?!?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with the "Bush Hater" wackos.

I spent Friday with 2000 of these folks that we have here in Austin.

Most of them do feel like they lucked out getting to Texas. They were very thankful for what we were doing for them and expressed their happiness with the facilities. Some griped about one thing or another but when asked if things are getting better there was an overwhelming positive answer. Never once did anyone in the area I was in act like they were not grateful.

Texas Fire Fighters and other aid workers and volunteers are doing everything in their power to help these people.

Lets talk about some of the good things happening in places like the Astro Dome.

We have workers there to tend to every need imaginable for these people.

We carry invalids to the showers and assist them.

We have a complete medical triage area set up were all their medical needs are taken care of with an on site pharmacy.

Fire Fighters and other aid workers are never more than a holler away if there is something they need from cleaning up a mess to finding tennis balls for the feet of a walker.

We are busing the kids to local schools in the morning.

Individuals are being found housing and assimilated into our communities at an amazing rate.

They are getting handed debit cards worth $2000 to assist them.

They have a full blown cafateria open 24-7.

It doesn't do the Astro Dome justice to paint it as a partner to the hell the Super Dome was.

Your depiction of Barbara Bush is incorrect and only reflects on your inablity to over come your irrational hate for the President.

A big thanks to President Bush and his family for their service to our country.

MembersZone Subscriber

For the record I am a republican. However, I think "W" is a very poor president. I also think that those who are public figures...ie Kanye West, Barbara Bush, etc. should choose their words carefully. Public scrutiny is the price they have paid for fame and fortune.

While I don't like GW one bit, I don't think the Katrina mess is his fault. I strongly believe the blame for this F--K up sits directly in the laps of Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco. These two have showed that they belong in charge of the french fries at the Quicky Burger and far away from public service. Both should be removed from their posts and possibly criminally charged.

Permanently Removed

"1. Leave the politics out of it...as long as you get your jabs in, right? I'm not in a state of hopelessness. In fact, my life has never been more prosperous or financially secure than it has been in the past 3 or 4 years. I don't know a single soul who is in a state of hopelessness. Most of the people I know are damn glad PRes. Bush is in office."

George, you were the one who brought George Bush into this discussion. I'm glad to see that you are having such a great life....must have stock in oil. I know plenty of people who are in a state of hopelessness (thousands in New Orleans to name just a few). Our economy has collapsed, we are paying $3 a gallon for gas (supposedly because of the hurricane causing a disruption in petroleum production) Sure am glad the Prez opened up the strategic reserve only 2 days after the hurricane....but oh yeah, they predicted the shortfall before the storm even made landfall....2 days earlier might've made a difference, but...oh yeah, that's right, ol' Prez has a lot to gain from a spike in oil prices why would he do that!? I won't even start on the fuster cluck in Iraq...seems were really making progress over there since we caught Saddam...Now that he's out of power, I think it's time we get out of there and if they destroy themselves, so be it. And "most of the people you know are damn glad Bush is in office"....yeah, they must have oil stock too, since he has the lowest approval rating thus far in his administration.

"2. I want them to spend billions to investigate the response if they have to. Because it will show that FEMA may have made some mistakes, because this is a disaster of unprecendented scope. But FEMA responded exactly as FEMA was supposed to respond. The root cause of "this mess" lies right over there in LA-in the NO Mayor's Office and the LA Governor's Office."

My only hope here is that you are kidding right? Billions? It MIGHT...and that's a big might...make a difference if we actually learn something from it, but we won't. Focus on cleaning up the mess, and move on....I think those at fault know where they screwed up....hopefully they learn from it on their own. If they don't, throwing billions away on it will be like ****ing in the wind.

"3. Barbara Bush has a record of being one of the most compassionate and giving First Lady's ever. She is also elderly, She has nothing to apologize for. She needn't choose here words any more carefully. She said something that, horrors, is probably correct-just not politically correct."

Fine then, don't cry when she gets publicly bashed for saying it!

"I spent Friday with 2000 of these folks that we have here in Austin.

Most of them do feel like they lucked out getting to Texas. They were very thankful for what we were doing for them and expressed their happiness with the facilities. Some griped about one thing or another but when asked if things are getting better there was an overwhelming positive answer. Never once did anyone in the area I was in act like they were not grateful.

Texas Fire Fighters and other aid workers and volunteers are doing everything in their power to help these people.

Lets talk about some of the good things happening in places like the Astro Dome.

We have workers there to tend to every need imaginable for these people.

We carry invalids to the showers and assist them.

We have a complete medical triage area set up were all their medical needs are taken care of with an on site pharmacy.

Fire Fighters and other aid workers are never more than a holler away if there is something they need from cleaning up a mess to finding tennis balls for the feet of a walker.

We are busing the kids to local schools in the morning.

Individuals are being found housing and assimilated into our communities at an amazing rate.

They are getting handed debit cards worth $2000 to assist them.

They have a full blown cafateria open 24-7.

It doesn't do the Astro Dome justice to paint it as a partner to the hell the Super Dome was.

Your depiction of Barbara Bush is incorrect and only reflects on your inablity to over come your irrational hate for the President.

A big thanks to President Bush and his family for their service to our country."

Nail, Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by parafire81; 09-12-2005 at 04:09 AM.

Thread Information