MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, I didn't start this thread and I certainly didn't cry. I simply asked a question that you, and others, haven't answered. What did she say was so wrong?

We do not have a shortage of crude oil. Opening the SPR would not have, and did not, make one cent of difference in the price of gasoline. The problem is refined petroleum products. We do not have sufficient refinery capacity in this country to keep up with demand. Why? Because the same people that are not crying about $3 gallon gas do not want us to build new refineries because some friggin' frog will be endangered. This disaster will ultimately put that to bed. New refineries are on the horizon, I would bet.

MembersZone Subscriber

I won't bother to go into why I think Dubya is a horrible president and has cast this country into a state of hopelessness only rivaled by the Great Depression
    You're joking, right? You do know that 20th century American history didn't skip from 1932 to 1992? Based on this statement, you might really, seriously look at who's being blinded by political hatred. Looking in the mirror might be a good place to start. I saw from your profile that you were born in 1981 so here are a few things you missed - all occured within the 5 years before and after you were born:

30 year mortgage interest rates were between 13% and 18%, (they're 6% now). Regular consumer interest rates that were common then would be considered loan-sharking now.
    Unemployment was roughly 9% (it is under 5% now)
    The crime rate was about 6,000 crimes for 100,000 people (it is now 4k per 100k)
    There was an oil crisis, an American embassy staff held hostage for a year and a half, and a failed hostage rescue mission.

No, there is no comparison today to the events of a time as recent as 25 years ago. We have it very, very good.

Forum Member

And if he had actually said that,I am sure that the press would be airing it on an hourly basis to show what an uncaring bustard he really is.
    The people that stayed behind specifically to loot,rape and murder after the storm overwhelmed public services are the sub human scum that the President spoke of.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    A fine defense from someone, who in his own words decribed the residents of New Orleans as "Sub-human Scum"...

Forum Member

Not planning to match you point for point but when the Mayor of New Orleans said to hunker down in the Superdome,he should have made sure that plans were made for there not being any running water after the storm hit.
    If he was expecting the hurricane to NOT knock out the electricty,C.Ray Nagin is an idiot.
    It is a basic concept to prepare for electrical power and water to be disrupted during hurricanes.Didn't he know this?
    People should know that food and water isn't always going to be available like it was when the skies are clear.
    But,since the government said to take shelter and they would provide for them,no one who went to the Superdome was expecting to have to provide for themselves and got outraged when the local government didn't provide for them and the federal government had to take a few days to get the supplies that were not requested by the locals before the storm.
    On another note,the reason gas prices were so high this summer was because the Chinese have been buying lots of oil from the same places that sell oil to us.Supply and demand laws dictate that prices increase when demand is highand the supply is low or otherwise limited, and drop when demand is low and supply is high.Didn't you take high school economics?

Forum Member

I watched what Barbara Bush stated over and over. What I got out of it was that she was eluding to the fact that many of the evacuees that are going to other states may very well end up better off economically than they were in New Orleans. My state has taken hundreds of these evacuees and has started the process of finding homes and jobs for the evacuees. New Orleans had a poverty rate of 33%. In other words 1/3 of the population lived in poverty. If 50% of the evacuees were unemployed and living in strict poverty end up getting a home with expenses paid for six months (almost everyone is being offered this here) and given jobs (many companies here are offering them jobís even with the state having a 7% unemployment rate). There station in life will be improved, as it will in other states that are doing the same. So in essence I believe this is what she meant and it was not as many seem to believe as a horrible remark. It may not have been put forth the way it was intended but I believe here premise was right.
    As for who is to blame for all this? I canít put the majority of the blame on the federal government, whether republican or democrat. I honestly feel that if LA and NO had instituted their written disaster plans a lot of this may have been avoided. California, Florida and Texas have an excellent system in place and would not have hesitated to implement them as they have in the past. I have read all 3 preparedness plans and they are in my opinion very well organized and operable (still need to read New Yorkís). They donít rely on federal help for 48 to 72 hours. Louisianaís and New Orleans plans are operable if used. LA and NO needs to make sure that in the future the plan is put into effect without hesitation.
    FEMA is not the end all. It is not the main ingredient in a disaster plan itís an assistance agency. They rely heavily on state and local governments doing what is prudent in the beginning as it should be. If you expect a lot more then you are going to have to consider giving more power to the federal government (possibly going as far as martial law) to take over a state and that I donít agree with. The federal government has little authority over the states rights to self govern. I wonít go any further here.
    All disaster plans are basically a house of cards. If you pull a card out from the bottom (local and state entities donít operate effectively right from the start) the rest of the card structure begins to collapse causing more problems further up. Itís the same for the communication process. We all know the importance of communication and what happens when it breaks down during a crisis. Bedlam sets in just as it does when the law enforcement and societal norm systems break down.
    I made this short, so let the flack start flying.

Forum Member

So far,the tens of thousands of bodies predicted by C. Ray Nagin have yet to be found.
    The hundreds of bodies that died in the Superdome turned out to be not that high either.
    If you want to hold people accountable,look at the Mayor of NOLA and the Governor of Louisiana.
    The Mayor ordered that needy people who couldn't evacuate on their own were to go to the Superdome.He essentially took responsibility for their lives,safety and subsistence when he did that.
    No food had been stored for the folks hunkering down,no plans were made to store water in case the power went out and the pipes didn't flow water,which it did.
    Was that idiot expecting the water and lights to stay on no matter how bad the storm got?There was a storm in Memphis a couple years ago that knocked out power and lights for days.We got no warning,and no federal assistance to rebuild.People became instant experts on generators and how to use them without overloading or filling the house with CO poisoning.
    The Governor of Louisiana could have had her state's National Guard ready to go when the wind died down,she didn't do that and even declined President Bush's offer of help before the storm,saying that they'd be all right.
    She doesn't need to quit her day job and run off to be a 1-900 psychic.
    Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin need to quit toeing the Democratic Party line and start working to get food and water to those that needed it,get the city and state cleaned up and working again and make sure that the levees are harder to breach the next time.
    They should do this because blaming who for what didn't get done before the storm is living in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    How about a few thousand dead bodies that shouldn't be there? How about so those who failed are held accountable? How about so it doesn't happen again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafire81
    It's no wonder Bush got re-elected....from the opinions on this thread it seems there are a few of you out of touch with reality.

I won't bother to go into why I think Dubya is a horrible president and has cast this country into a state of hopelessness only rivaled by the Great Depression....
    LOL...you haven't lived long enough to know what hopelessness is.
    BTW, since you seem to think I am "out of touch with reality" for voting for President Bush both times, I have one question for you: did you actually get out and vote for Al Gore and John Kerry in the 2 elections that you have been old enough to vote for, or are you one of those who can't be bothered to go to the polls, but cries the loudest when things don't go their way? Just curious.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    The Mayor ordered that needy people who couldn't evacuate on their own were to go to the Superdome.He essentially took responsibility for their lives,safety and subsistence when he did that.
    See, you're wrong here. That idiot has never taken responsibility for anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fema

Brown ended up resigning. I guess lying on your resume will eventually catch with you when it is time to do your job when its crunch time.For 4 days, them people went without food/water. They knew the level 5 hurricane was coming days in advance ,as they kept on stating on the weather channel and every other news affiliate. They had time to get the logistics rolling ahead of time. No excuse. Yet, theres Bush stringing tunes with gang from Hee Haw during his 5 week frickin vacation! Someone has to be accountable. I guess next time they will also build a levee big enough to withstand a level 5 hurricane. OOPS. I recall a interview with the New Orleans mayor," We did the math and we were comfortable with building a levee to withstand a level 3 hurricane." I hate to add the digits caused by the damage based on the that mistake!Another major blunder!

[
    QUOTE=osfd100]Everybody is ragging on Bush and Brown (who is getting recalled to Washington). Where were all the complaints last year when 4, thats FOUR Hurricanes hit Florida last year.

I'm sure there were problems with FEMA then. But no one called for their heads last year.

People need to prepare for these emergencies as directed. 3 Day Survival kits etc........... The people in Florida may have been better prepared. And as I recalled many of them took a pounding...

Who do some of these Democrats want to run FEMA ? William Shatner and the STAR SHIP ENTERPRISE to "Beam Aboard" some of the people and supplies..

Do I agree with everything they have done--NO!!!

As firefighters we should all know;
    There is a time and a place for a critique- Now is not the time and New Orleans is not the place and neither is the six o'clock news like the two female
    flee bag Senators are using it for!!!!![/QUOTE]

Permanently Removed

Default As a matter of fact....

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor
    LOL...you haven't lived long enough to know what hopelessness is.
    BTW, since you seem to think I am "out of touch with reality" for voting for President Bush both times, I have one question for you: did you actually get out and vote for Al Gore and John Kerry in the 2 elections that you have been old enough to vote for, or are you one of those who can't be bothered to go to the polls, but cries the loudest when things don't go their way? Just curious.
    Yes I did vote in both the 2000 and 2004 elections. And I will vote in 2008, along with any significant local election along the way.

We do agree on this point:

"one of those who can't be bothered to go to the polls, but cries the loudest when things don't go their way?"

These kind of people **** me off probably as much as they do you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    How about a few thousand dead bodies that shouldn't be there? How about so those who failed are held accountable? How about so it doesn't happen again.
    Anyone feel stupid for getting hysterical yet? Few thousand? Try a few hundred.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default parafire...

As George stated, FEMA did respond as they should have. Part of the mess we are seeing now, with them trying to take control, is a direct result of being murdered in the press for not taking control from the start. Nagin and Blanco need to be held responsible for either not having a good plan, or not following it. They have been blaming everyone else from the start. Blanco finally took some responsibility, after GW took responsibility. He stepped up to the plate, and took a hit for something that wasn't his fault. He didn't make the hurricaine. His crime? Not formulating a local disaster plan for NOLA. I'll bet there are a lot of other communities he has "ignored" in this way as well. I will be calling the White House to see when he will be dropping in to assess our LOCAL capabilities and form our LOCAL emergency plans. If a tornado hits Mt Pleasant are you going to sit on your hands and wait for FEMA? Are you going to complain the President didn't protect your town? Get real.

As for the comment about general hopelessness, dude, you need to get out of the ER and away from the Title XIX people for a while. Yes, gas is expensive now. You should go to Canada or Europe. I was up in the great frozen tundra (no offense to my Canadian brothers and sisters) in '99. I paid over a dollar per liter back then. There are about 4 liters per gallon, do the math. Even with the exchange rate back then, it was high, higher than I am paying now. I remember, although not that well, the news of people sitting in lines for hours for gasoline. I grew up, from the time I really became aware, with the fear of a nuclear war. I actually had a discussion with a friend a few years older than me about it when I was about 10. We decided we would walk out into the fallout, hoping to die fast. I don't see that in today's generation. I grew up going to collect free food from the USDA every month, peanut butter and cheese. And we weren't what I would call "the poor" of our area. This time, for me, is a lot better. My wife and I are making more money than we ever have, we are buying a house, and looking at buying a "new" used car. No, we don't have stock in oil companies, no, we aren't rich, we live paycheck to paycheck. This is a lot better time to be an American.
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Forum Member

Note that the first syllable of "dubya" is pronounced "duh".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bushmaster
    The braintrust adds their always valued input once again.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bushmaster
    "Duh" being a phrase that I'm sure comes quite easily to your lips...

Forum Member

Yes ,"duh" comes quite easily to my lips when I view the current
    administration's performance. I , as a registered voter , am greatly dis-
    appointed in the performance of those, who I , helped elect into office - or , helped elect those who appointed UNQUALIFIED people to
    perform critical tasks! Would you expect a new proby to run your fire department , with no experience?? I would certainly hope not!! To me ,"W" , you deserved the "duh". But, by naming Chief Dave Paulison to
    head FEMA , I, for one , salute that decision , and will therefore (for now) ,retract the "duh".PERIOD.

Thread Information